My Toshiba C655-S5128 Won't Connect Wirelessly to my Netgear WGT624 v.3 Router

crispybo
Follower

My Toshiba C655-S5128 Won't Connect Wirelessly to my Netgear WGT624 v.3 Router

My wife purchased a Satellite C655-S5128, Part # PSC12U-04001W in February 2011, it will connect to the netgear router using an Ethernet cable, no problem, but will not connect wirelessly. I would like to know what needs to be corrected so I can connect wirelessly. What is likely causing the problem, the Atheros network adapter, Windows 7 drivers, or the Netgear Router/firmware?

The specs are as follows:
-OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with Toshiba Bios 1.90
-Atheros AR9285 Network Adapter, with driver ver. 8.0.0.258, dated 11/06/2009 which is the most current version on Toshiba's website.
-I am using a Netgear WGT624 v.3 Router with firmware: v2.0.26_1.01 na which is the most current firmware for this router.

I have tried configuring the router using the following encryption: WEP, WPA-PSK [TKIP],WPA2-PSK [AES],WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], and turning auto 108mps off and on as well as using channels b and g.

Windows 7 sees the router and the name of the network wirelessly. When clicking on the connection, it will ask for the security key, I have been entering the passphrase that is entered in the router. After hitting enter, a dialog box will pop up that says "Windows us unable to connect to the Router". I am able to connect to a WGR614 v.6 at a friends house so I know the network adapter functions.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts or suggestions.
Message 1 of 3
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: My Toshiba C655-S5128 Won't Connect Wirelessly to my Netgear WGT624 v.3 Router

Check in the router configuration pages, I can’t remember which one but it is probably ‘Advanced Wireless’ if the Wireless Access List is enabled, if so disable it. Also is there anything in the router log to show what might be happening when an attempt to connect fails?
Message 2 of 3
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: My Toshiba C655-S5128 Won't Connect Wirelessly to my Netgear WGT624 v.3 Router

"-Atheros AR9285 Network Adapter, with driver ver. 8.0.0.258, dated 11/06/2009 which is the most current version on Toshiba's website."

There appear to be newer drivers. You can check here:

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

OR here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/Atheros~AR9285~Wireless~Network~Adapter.html

It would appear that Toshiba, or even Microsoft, may not necessarily have the latest drivers.

I have seen on these forums that updating the atheros driver has helped. Hopefully you'll find similar relief. 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E