× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My netgear N300 has stopped working, I purchased a new identical one, can I just swith them with res

Pjvan
Aspirant

My netgear N300 has stopped working, I purchased a new identical one, can I just swith them with res

My router stopped working, I bought another one( same model) can I just switch them out without changing all my settings?
Model: R2000|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: My netgear N300 has stopped working, I purchased a new identical one, can I just swith them with

There have been 5 different version of the wnr2000. You don't list which n300 router you have, your signature has r2000 which isn't a router but there is the wnr2000, so I'm assuming you have that model. Again assuming. (could be poor choice)

If its a different version, then don't re-use your configuration file. Just redo your setup and backup the configuration. Backups don't work between different models and it isn't recommended between different versions. @michaelkenward was correct if its exactly identical model and version. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies

Re: My netgear N300 has stopped working, I purchased a new identical one, can I just swith them with

You will need to set up the new one.

If you have a backup copy of the settings then the file should reload on to identical hardware.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

There have been 5 different version of the wnr2000. You don't list which n300 router you have, your signature has r2000 which isn't a router but there is the wnr2000, so I'm assuming you have that model. Again assuming. (could be poor choice)

If its a different version, then don't re-use your configuration file. Just redo your setup and backup the configuration. Backups don't work between different models and it isn't recommended between different versions. @michaelkenward was correct if its exactly identical model and version. 

Message 3 of 6
Pjvan
Aspirant

I had a v3, although after a lot of reconfiguring, ( for some reason the router reset itself to factory and erased all login and account info) I got it back up and used the router login to reestablish all previous settings( only about 2hrs ), the one I received today is a v5, looking at the box the only majilor change I noticed was the increased window versions.
I could only v3 up to Windows 7( for the genie I assume) , v5 includes all up to Windows 10. I have both ( I had an older computer with 7 I used to reconfigure the router.
Any other major differences?
Thanks
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

V5 uses a different atheros CPU than v3. I'd redo it and save the configuration
Message 5 of 6

In other words, the configuration is not transferable.

That is usually the case with different hardware versions.

The V bit is a sign of hardware changes.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7