My router is blocking my access to my security camera!

My router is blocking my access to my security camera!

I have R6400 router and a Samsung/Wisenet SNH-V6410PN (https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-smartcam-pt-review/) security camera.

Using the Wisenet SmartCam+ app, I can access a live camera feed or watch recordings of events (i.e., when something makes a noise/moves it records to the SD card). This works fine when I am home and connected to my network.

However, when I am not home, I have problems. I can still see the live feed, but it will never let me watch the recordings. I get a message "Failed to play due to concurrent access or network instability. Please check the network status of your camera and terminal."

When every I open up the video feed, the router thinks it is a network attack!

[DoS attack: STORM] (2173) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [*REDACTED SPRINT IP*], Sunday, May 12,2019 00:44:59
[DoS attack: STORM] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [*REDACTED SPRINT IP*], Sunday, May 12,2019 00:44:38

This didn't always used to be the case! I have had the router longer than I have had the camera. How do I fix this?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: My router is blocking my access to my security camera!

Disable the DoS protection - permitting this control is available in Advanced -> Setup -> WAN Setup (from wally brain). 

Message 2 of 7

Dude, that is a really bad idea.
There needs to be another way to fix Netgear's **bleep**-up other than disabling all DoS protection.
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Well, the complete DoS protection is mariginal at best, and prone to false positives (test it - and you know). If your Internet connection is DoS'ed there is nothing a consumer router can do - yor connection would be knocked out.

Message 4 of 7

Ok... I have already said that I am not going to do that.

Can you please help me figure out another solution.
Message 5 of 7

@schumaku I tried your bad idea and disabled DoS protection. It did NOT work.

Can you please give me a better idea to try?

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Afraid, that was just an proposal to check if it's the DoS "protection" prohibiting the communication of your camera/App system. It's still unclear if the redacted IP address was involved in the communication path at all.

We're operating various video camera systems (Arlo, Honeywell, ....) and have not experienced similar issues with "managed" home networks. Might be worth to challenge a camera/App specific community or support channel to find of more owners are facing the similar problems.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements