Re: My router stoped working.

NelsonR001
Aspirant

My router stoped working.

Hi, I bought a netgerar W DR3700 router about two to three years ago.

It was working find untill a month ago.

It gives wi-fi, it conects to my modem and my computer (desktop), but it does not gives internet acces.

I restarted, used it without ading securitty, everything. It does not have internet.
If I restart the router, The conected desktop, by cable has internet for about three mins, but EXTREMELY SLOW, so slow, that it does not fully load pages.

And the wi fi has no internet at all.

It hasnt work for a month. If i disconect the router, and connect the modem directly to my computer, it works great.

Help?
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

hard reset the router and test.

if issues are the same then likely you may need to new router instead
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 11
NelsonR001
Aspirant

Thanks!

How do i hard reset it?

Hope that works, I dont want to have to spend another 200 again. I dont hace that money...
Message 3 of 11
sabretooth
Apprentice

Read above... 'router reset'
Message 4 of 11
NelsonR001
Aspirant

I saw it.

Thanks!

Jesus loves you Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
NelsonR001
Aspirant

Ok, so the reset didnt work at all.

I decided to call netgear for support, and they where charging me for help O_0
I obviously said that I didnt wanted any help.
I started looking at the router configuration on the set up page (routerloggin.net)

And at advance wireless setings at WPS setings, it had an option to disable router pin, so I disable it and now it works!

I wondered how that activated it selfe, and why it didnt disable when i restarted the router.

By the way, i didnt ask, how much does netgear charges for support?
Message 6 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

By the way, i didnt ask, how much does netgear charges for support?

probably do not want to know...Smiley Happy

WPS should not effect anything unless you are trying to use WPS method to connect but WPS exploits are really bad so remain disable is good anywaySmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 11
smlunatick
Aspirant

Same story for me. A good working WNDR3700 v1 suddenly not working as it should. I've replaced it with an ASUS RT-N66U.
Message 8 of 11
Simon0
Novice

In router mode, WNDR3700 seems to destroy itself after a year or so and to get it RMA'd you'd have to pony up cash for their tech support and ship it back. Even during warranty they may ask for money for support, which is more expensive than a new router.

Try tftp.exe a fresh firmware and see if it fixes it or else buy a new router.

Btw, did you enable bandwidth monitoring? It seems to constantly writes to the flash chip.

good luck...
Message 9 of 11
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Failure seems to be random, I have had my V1 over 2 years and had BW monitoring enabled accross all firmwares. Nothing yet, (knocks on wood).
Message 10 of 11
Simon0
Novice

The WNDR3700v1 is indeed better, as the the later revision is a cost reduction variety.

WNDR3700 also has a tendency to brick itself if you pull the power just when it is performing a write/save operation, where only a firmware recovery will fix.

I also have a wndr3700v1 used as a dial band AP w/ everything else disabled. It has run for over a year without issue. In router mode it was not reliable for me -- connection issues, nat table overload, needing to reboot, etc.

I've heard good things from Broadcom... They've milked all they could from their MIPS-based chips and has now moved to Dual-core ARM-based chips... We can finally see better simultaneous performance all around (wireless+NAS). CPU was a serious bottleneck.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements