Tim-1
Follower

N300 Extender does not extend home SSID signal

I have configured the N300 to “Extend my current wireless router’s range”.  I can easily see a new NetGear58 SSID network signal, which is strong enough, but I cannot see that the original home network and access point signal is being picked up and transmitted a second time to extend the range of the network. I am using the Meta Geek InSSIDer Office to assess signal strength, etc.    I woujld like to use the original SSID and key for my devices, rather than configuring them to use the "NetGear58" SSID and password.  

Perhaps the N300 PR2000 is really not a range extender, and I should work to configure it instead to be another AP in myhome wireless network?  Technically, a range extender would receive the access point's information towards the end of its range and boost or re-transmit the signal a second time to extend the range of the network similarly to having the access point working in two locations.

How can I tell if the N300 is working as a range extender, as well as hosting a new NetGear 58 SSID network?  Doesn't seem to be given my review of the radio signals using InSSIDer.

Message 1 of 2
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: N300 Extender does not extend home SSID signal

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements