× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 Model WNR2000 v5 - HOW do I block a WEBSITE ?

WiSeNhEiMeR
Aspirant

N300 Model WNR2000 v5 - HOW do I block a WEBSITE ?

I just purchased my  NETGEAR  N300  /  model  WNR2000 v5  WiFi Router to replace an even "older" Frontier router.

I live in a very RURAL Area so I beLIEved the N300 was adequate for my  <less than 'BROADBAND'  download data rate.

The problem that I discovered was parts of my "ADVANCED FEATURES" are ... 'grayed-out' 

I have a monotonously PESKY website  104.37.47.8  (aka: VISPERAD NETWORKS LLC)  that continuously SCANS each & Every INBOUND  port on my computer !  This has been going on for over a  MONTH / every five minutes or so ... 

MalWareBytes indicates that this website is "BLOCKED" because it attempts to SET a TROJAN Virus if admitted 

I would very much like to BLOCK this malicious WEBSITE at the ROUTER before they find access to my SYSTEM 

When I sign in to my ROUTER  WNR2000 v5

Go to: ADVANCED 

Go to: SECURITY 

Go to:BLOCK SITES ... 

the feature that I want is "visible" but "GRAYED-OUT" 

How do  I turn this desirable feature "ON" to allow me to BLOCK this WESITE ? 

Model: JWNR2000v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: N300 Model WNR2000 v5 - HOW do I block a WEBSITE ?

I think if you disable ap mode, you're going to have issues. 

here's why. 

you might not have a modem, but you have some type of gateway with routing function in it. or only 1 of your devices would work since the netgear is in ap mode. Its own routing function has been disabled and its relying on the bridgemaxx setup for routing.

If you disable AP mode, you'll be in a double nat due to having more than 1 routing device running on the network. This will cause you other issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connected to?

If its a gateway/router device and someone set this up for you, they probably put the wnr2000 in AP (access point) mode to prevent a double nat (as they should).  AP mode disables some services

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 5
WiSeNhEiMeR
Aspirant

Thank you for your RESPONSE 

I set the WiFi ROUTER up myself & used the DEFAULT settings 
&
YES ... it set itself up in "AP" (Access Point) mode ( not knowing any better = I let it )

How do I change away from this  "AP" Mode ?

What should  I  choose as an alternative ?

I receive my INTERNET access from a PAROBOLIC (small) DISH antenna up on my TV Antenna TOWER 
from a company called BRIDGEMAXX  (NOT a satellite dish) 
It is a Line-Of-Site connection to a SILO top Antenna a few miles away
There is no actual  "MODEM" inside my home (just a Power Insertion / Switching Power Supply) to energize my DISH antenna 

Through a  CAT-5 cable from my power-supply to the parabolic dish antenna 

Thank you in advance for any HELP on this issue

@plemans wrote:

What modem/gateway are you connected to?

If its a gateway/router device and someone set this up for you, they probably put the wnr2000 in AP (access point) mode to prevent a double nat (as they should).  AP mode disables some services

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Model: JWNR2000v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 3 of 5
WiSeNhEiMeR
Aspirant

Should I set my router  in  something called: "BRIDGE MODE" ?

I do not seem to have any "ip" numbering conflicts 
there are NOT any "other" devices competing for a UNIQUE "ip" address 

What MODE will allow me to utilize the SECURITY Features that are "grayed-out" in ACCESS-POINT" mode ?

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I think if you disable ap mode, you're going to have issues. 

here's why. 

you might not have a modem, but you have some type of gateway with routing function in it. or only 1 of your devices would work since the netgear is in ap mode. Its own routing function has been disabled and its relying on the bridgemaxx setup for routing.

If you disable AP mode, you'll be in a double nat due to having more than 1 routing device running on the network. This will cause you other issues. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7