× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 trek pr2000 can not get any connections at all. Need simple help to set up

RichE99
Aspirant

N300 trek pr2000 can not get any connections at all. Need simple help to set up

Hello, I'm pretty computer and networking savvy, have set up all sorts of networks and home routers and wifi in the past with no problems.

Got this Netgear Trek N300 PR2000 as a present thinking I could connect at a hotel with wifi for only one login to their wifi, then connect several other devices, either wirelessly, or through the ethernet port.

Seems like it should be simple, so I must be missing something.  Instructions aren't clear or I don't follow the terminology properly.

I think I should be able to plug this into the wall, switch to wired setting, vs. wireless.  Then connect my computer via the ethernet LAN port and get an IP address so I can access the built in webserver for more setup.

I can NOT get an ip address.  Tried the wired option and plugged into both internet and LAN port, and same for wireless.  Can not get an IP address (Windows 7 Pro).  I've done the reset via the button several times (holding for more than 10 seconds).

I was even given another one of these from a friend who couldn't get it to work and same thing, essentially nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rich

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: N300 trek pr2000 can not get any connections at all. Need simple help to set up

The unit seems to be faulty.

When you toggle the button to "Wired" then it should provide you an IP address.

In your case it doesn't and since you already reset the unit I suggest that you get it replaced. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15

All Replies
William10a
Master

Here is the support page for the pr2000 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/PR2000.aspx#docs

From what i saw the unit has a slide switch on wired-power off-wireless do you have this switch to the mode you need it?

Message 2 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

I've gotten the docs and read them.  It's not clear to me which way to even use the switch to do what I want to do, or even get into the device.

I see a part where you connect the computer to the internet port, and another section to the LAN port.

As I said in my original post, I've connected to both, with switch in both positions and get nothing.

What SHOULD I get?  I thought that at one switch setting, connected to one of the ethernet ports, I'd get an IP address so I could access the device via it's web server.  If I'm reading correctly, the default is 192.168.1.1 for the N300.  I even tried manually setting my ip address to 192.168.1.10 but still couldn't access the device.

I need someone who's set one of these up successfully to give a quick review of what to plug where and then what to do.

I think the devices I have, one new out of the box, and another given me by someone who also couldn't set it up, are both bricks.  But I want to know the above steps to try first.

Again, I've tried resetting the devices via the reset button, but nothing much seems to happen.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 15
William10a
Master

Here is the users manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PR2000/PR2000_UM_Non-Cellular%20Version_09Apr2014.pdf

Connect a lan cable from the present network  to the blue internet port of the pr2000, the pr2000 needs to be in ap(access point) mode refer to page 37 you will a computer connected to the lan port of the pr2000 to set it up.

The wireless wifi settings will need to set up as well refer to page 40 I would use wpa2 security standard on the wifi this where you can set the ssid the networks name and passsphrease the secret password to allow guess access to the network.

The baisc and wireless setup can be done when you set it as a access point there many more features just forget about them. They will only cause problems for you. You said you wanted a guess wifi network so keep it simple. 

Message 4 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

THANK YOU.  NOW we're making progress.

(Sorry for long missive, I'm trying to be thorough)

I DO have the user manual, thanks.

Does this need to happen before it's plugged into the wall socket, or will after plugged in work?

1.  Plug network cable into blue Internet/LAN port.

2.  Plug computer network cable into the LAN port.

3.  Plug PR2000 in to wall socket/power.

Then what, should my computer get an IP address from the PR2000 and I can go to www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com and I'll get the page?

Does it matter that I use a custom DNS (Google's 8.8.8.8), should I set that to get DNS from the DHCP server in the PR2000?

I'll try setting it to the latter and see what happens.  Will let you know.

Keeping fingers crossed.   Close, but I think something's working!

1.  Connect network cable to blue Internet/LAN port.

2.  Connect computer network cable to yellow LAN port.

3.  Plug unit in (manual says it should always be in the off position when plugging in, not sure why but I did put switch in off position).

4.  Put in Wireless position (not intuitive to me since it's connected only by wired connections)

NOTE:  I first tried putting the switch in the wired position, thinking that would make sense since it's connected by wires, but got nothing.

5.  Wait....

6.  Got my IP address and can now browse the web, AND have settings from MY regular network router/DHCP server!  YAY and THANKS!

OOPs, rats, that's apparently all it's doing at this point.  It's just a pass through device allowing my computer to go through it to my router.  It has no IP address I can see in my router's connections.  When I go to either www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com I get a page that says:

You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

I also tried directly to http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.1.1 but am not surprised at no connection since my home network uses a different 3rd octet subnet (33).  Going to http://192.168.33.1 gets me to my home network router, not the netgear.

So I can browse the internet at this point THROUGH the unit, but can't connect to it in any way to do any setup.  Again, this is with the switch in the Wireless position, I can't seem to do anything (no network or internet connection) if I put it in the Wired position.

What can I do next or what am I missing?

Thanks for all your help.

Rich

Message 5 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

Here is the support page for the pr2000 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/PR2000.aspx#docs

From what i saw the unit has a slide switch on wired-power off-wireless do you have this switch to the mode you need it?

That's one of the problems...  🙂    I don't KNOW which I need.  I'd really like to get to the unit's web interface to check settings, etc.  Eventually, I want it in a mode where I can go to a hotel, plug it in, connect wirelessly to the unit, then have IT connect to the hotel's wifi and act as a router for me to it.  This will allow more than one device (computer, phone, etc.) to connect even if they charge per device for wifi connections.

See my other post for details on what I've done and where I've gotten, and am stuck again at.

At least it doesn't seem to be bricked, yay!  🙂

Thanks,

Rich

Message 6 of 15
William10a
Master

The switch should be set for wired if you use a lan cable to connect to wired network wireless setting is for use as a wifi repeater.

Message 7 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

In my previous messages, I've indicated that if I set it to wired, I get NOTHING.  Please see other from me for details.

Message 8 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just to be clear, when you access the GUI, I suggest that you access it through wired connection.

So if the computer you're using is capable of wireless, disable it for the meantime. 

When it's connected through wired connection, your computer should be getting an IP address. 

The IP address should be 192.168.1.1 or you may access the admin page through www.routerlogin.net.

Can you verify the IP address of the PC that you're using in accessing the page of the router?

Message 9 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

Yup.  To recap what I've already posted.

Unplugged unit

switched to OFF position

connected my network to blue Internet/LAN port

connected computer to LAN port (no wifi on this desktop computer)

plugged unit it.

If I set to Wireless, I apparently get a through link and get ip address from my other router (not the PR2000), and can browser the internet and my network the same as without it.

If I set it to Wired, I get nothing.  No IP address at all.

This seems to be the problem.  I _should_ be getting an IP of 192.168.1.something, but I'm not.

So how else can I diagnose this?

I think I've reset the unit several times with the button according to the manual on page 139:

" You can return the Trek to its factory settings. Use the end of a paper clip or a similar object
to press and hold the Reset button for at least seven seconds. The Trek resets, and returns
to the factory configuration settings shown in the following table.
"

There's no instruction on if the unit should be set to off, wired, or wireless and nothing telling me what on the lights I should see, so I don't really know if it's working or when it's done, etc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Message 10 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The unit seems to be faulty.

When you toggle the button to "Wired" then it should provide you an IP address.

In your case it doesn't and since you already reset the unit I suggest that you get it replaced. 

Message 11 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

Thanks!

Wish me luck getting mine replaced as it was a gift this month but I doubt my girlfriend saved any receipt.

Too bad the one a friend gave me after giving up on getting it to work is way past the 90 days warranty.

Rich

Message 12 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you register it at my.netgear.com for our support team to have an idea about the warranty details.

Message 13 of 15
RichE99
Aspirant

Thanks.  Already have, will see if they'll replace it when I have a minute tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Message 14 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome! 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7