Aspirant

N600 MAC Address Filter for Apple Computers

I recently purchased a new Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700. I have successfully used the MAC address filter and computer name for all Window PC computers to limit access to the Comcast internet. Last week, I tried to use the same MAC address filtering with an Apple computer with OS X. I have found the Macintosh MAC address and computer name, and I inputted the information as I did for PCs, but it did not work. So, should I be using a different procedure for MAC address filtering from an Apple computer? Or are there any additional steps that I should take in order to successfully add a MAC address from an Apple computer to the filter? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
Apprentice

Re: N600 MAC Address Filter for Apple Computers

People on these forums have reported all sorts of proplems with the WNDR3700. I wouldn't be surprised if MAC ACL is among them. However, as fordem has said on other threads, ACL offers very little protection and could be bypassed quite easily. So the advice would be not to use ACL. Once you are using WPA2-PSK[AES] you should be OK. If anyone could bypass this level of encryption, then ACL is no help.
Message 2 of 5
Virtuoso

Mac address on Mac or PC does not change the basic of hardware cross the border,

With per said, using Mac address correcty either Ethernet (0) or airport should take a effect in your router settings

Acl is not security anyway but I think your OP's question is not able to use Mac's Mac address in the ACL
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Mac address on Mac or PC does not change the basic of hardware cross the border,

With per said, using Mac address correcty either Ethernet (0) or airport should take a effect in your router settings

Acl is not security anyway but I think your OP's question is not able to use Mac's Mac address in the ACL
Thank you for the quick reply, jmizoguchi. However, I don't quite follow what you're saying. I understand that ACL is not very secure, but if I still choose to use ACL, should I be using a different procedure to input the Mac's MAC address and computer name? Because right now, I'm entering the information (MAC address and computer name) the same way I would enter a PC's information into the router settings, but I am still unable to access the internet using the Mac computer.

I know you can see a PC's MAC address by typing "IPconfig/all" in the command center, but how do I see the MAC address on an Apple computer?

Lastly, what is Ethernet (0)? Is that just wired internet?
Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
Virtuoso

mac address is mac address, wether pc or linux and mac all the mac address is treated same way.

if you go network utility under finder>application>network utility you will see ethe (0). anyway, as long you are using CORRECT mac address all should work in the router ether it is ACL or address reservation etc.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation