× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 WNDR3700v2 can WAN be turned off?

JBabin
Follower

N600 WNDR3700v2 can WAN be turned off?

The 2.5 GHz on my N600 conked out, not working right,  years ago, so the N600 was replaced. Now I want to use it as a LAN only router. Can I completely turn off the WAN in the software? (No hardware switch exists). 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: N600 WNDR3700v2 can WAN be turned off?

@JBabin wrote:

Now I want to use it as a LAN only router. Can I completely turn off the WAN in the software? (No hardware switch exists). 

If you mean that you want to put the WNDR3700v2 after another router and simply use it as a switch, then look into how to use it as wireless access point:

How to turn an old Wi-Fi router into an access point - CNET

Then disable the wifi broadcast.

Your router will then manage the devices plugged into the LAN ports on the WNDR3700v2.

That's with the WNDR3700v2 wired to your existing router. If you want a wireless connection to the router, check the Wireless Repeating bit in the  manual for the WNDR3700v2 

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I want to use it as a LAN only router. [...]

What, exactly, does "a LAN only router" mean to you?  It might be
better to explain exactly what you would like to do, rather than invent
a new technical term for whatever that is.

> [...] Can I completely turn off the WAN in the software? [...]

Don't connect a cable to the WAN/Internet port?  Disable the DHCP
server?

Message 2 of 3

@JBabin wrote:

Now I want to use it as a LAN only router. Can I completely turn off the WAN in the software? (No hardware switch exists). 

If you mean that you want to put the WNDR3700v2 after another router and simply use it as a switch, then look into how to use it as wireless access point:

How to turn an old Wi-Fi router into an access point - CNET

Then disable the wifi broadcast.

Your router will then manage the devices plugged into the LAN ports on the WNDR3700v2.

That's with the WNDR3700v2 wired to your existing router. If you want a wireless connection to the router, check the Wireless Repeating bit in the  manual for the WNDR3700v2 

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7