× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 WNDR3700v4 Wired Speed

hhp94001
Aspirant

N600 WNDR3700v4 Wired Speed

Hello,

I am new to this forum.  Please help with my questions below.

I recently upgraded my internet speed service to 500 Mbps but I noticed that my computer speed test only showed 320 Mbps (using fast.com).  The computer is currently connected to the WNDR3700v4 N600 router.

When I connected the computer directly to the modem, I was able to see a speedtest at 520 Mbps.

This is a wired connection and I do not know why my speed dropped from 520 to 320 when the computer is connected through the router.  I confirmed that my router has the latest firmware (V1.0.2.102).

I am not sure if there is something wrong with my setup.  I tried to call Netgear but they requested a fee to troubleshoot the product.

Did anyone experience what I have here?  Is it normal for my "wired" speed to be only 300 Mbps on this router model?

Thank you in advance for your help !!

HPP

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: N600 WNDR3700v4 Wired Speed

the WNDR3700 was a pretty rock solid router when it released. But that was 11 years ago. It tested to hit speeds of around 400mbps over a hardwired connections.

(see smallnetbuilder: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-r...

You might be able to get a little more performance out of your wired connection by factory resetting and then during the install make sure to leave any extra features like qos, traffic monitoring, access controls, parental controls, or any other extra feature disabled. 

With a 500mbps connection, I'd look at upgrading the router regardless to utilize the connection. Its wireless was great at the time it came out but again, 11 years ago. There's much better speeds, performance now. 

Message 2 of 10
hhp94001
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick replies!!

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with my router, it is just old? 

I assume I should be able to get higher wired speed based on the Router description (Gigabit router).

Do you have a recommendation for a new router that would have no problem handling 500 Mbps? or higher?  thanks

HHP

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

It is a gigabit router but it was released when gigabit was just gaining traction and devices weren't maxing out gigabit connections. That's why i linked to the tested speeds on it. 

I could recommend all kinds of routers but we'd need more details to help. 

Home size?

What is the home made of?

What are you using it for? (gaming, streaming, etc)

Budget? (because its pointless to recommend a $600 AX router if the budget isn't there)

In terms of single router AC solutions, I'd go with the R7800

for mesh systems, I'm a fan of the orbi 40 and 50 series of mesh routers/satellites

If you're looking at AX devices, then budget gets even more important as they're a bit more expensive. 

Plus you're looking at a time when routers are at a premium because of shut downs from covid and an increase in the work from home movement. 

Message 4 of 10
hhp94001
Aspirant

My current set up is in the basement.  The house is wired by cat5 cable on both floors.

Internet line from outside connects to Modem in basement.  Modem connects to a switch, 2 computers and a hot spot

House is ~2600 sq ft.

Within a few years, i expect my internet company will no longer offer 500 Mbps service and force everyone to move up to 1GBps.

I use internet for work and streaming movies / youtube.

the R7800 model is $300 on Amazon.  R8000 and R8000P are lower in price.  Is there something special about the R7800 model that I should pick over the R8000 or R8000P?

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

You have it going modem---->switch----devices?

Where is the router in there? 

What modem is it? 

The R7800 is recommended because its been rock solid on here. Its probably the highest performing AC router there is. 

the R8000/R8000P are both solid routers that are triband. So there's benefits there. Its not going to have the same peak performance as the R7800 but because of its triband operation, you can get spread devices out a bit more. I do tend to see more issues on the R8000/p but its not a ton on here. 

both are pretty solid choices in my experience. 2600sq ft is pretty much max what I'd consider a single router solution for. I'd make sure the router is centrally located for best coverage. 

If you do go with the R8000/p make sure during setup to leave qos, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental controls disabled. they can slow the router down at speeds >300mbps. 

Message 6 of 10
hhp94001
Aspirant

Hello,

sorry for missing info on the last night post !

the set up in the basement is as follow:

Internet to Modem (provided by Cox company, ARRIS: TM3402 DOCSIS 3.1 EMTA)

Modem to Router (1 port for office computer, 1 port for kitchen computer, 1 port for hot spot, 1 port to connect to swich)

Switch (a few more cat5 lines were connected to switch to feed internet to 2nd floor)

All equipement is located in the basement since the house is wired with cat5 and all of the cat5 cables were down in the basement.

Thanks for the clarification on the R7800 model.

I am still struggling to understand the issues with my current router from Netgear (n600 wndr3700v4).  Why would the product is labeled as Gigabit if it can't deliver 1GB speed for wired connection?  My first call to Netgear last night, their technician claimed that it would required advanced troubleshooting to fix the unit and it would cost me $$.  Is there really some tweaking in the set up that can enable the router to have higher than 300MBps? or the product just can't do it and the description of Gigabit is a lie.

will I have the same issue from the R7800 model since it is another Netgear product?

thanks,

HHP

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@

I am still struggling to understand the issues with my current router from Netgear (n600 wndr3700v4).  Why would the product is labeled as Gigabit if it can't deliver 1GB speed for wired connection?-----why does your car speedometer go to 150mph if your car can't go that fast? Why do wireless advertise as 1900mbps when they'll never hit that?  Again, when gigabit first came out, it wasn't maxing out the connection. In the 11 years since, routers have improved drastically and have been able to max out gigabit for a while (with proper pc/cabling/etc).  My first call to Netgear last night, their technician claimed that it would required advanced troubleshooting to fix the unit and it would cost me $$.---Not worth it for that old of a device. Not even close to worth the money.   Is there really some tweaking in the set up that can enable the router to have higher than 300MBps? or the product just can't do it and the description of Gigabit is a lie.-----Read reviews. None of the routers at that time maxed out gigabit. Thats why there is testing and reviews so people can see what actual performance to expect from a device. 

will I have the same issue from the R7800 model since it is another Netgear product?---again, read a few tests and reviews before buying anything. I'm a fan of smallnetbuilder. there's fairly extensive testing done on devices with well written out reviews and testing procedures. The only downfall is there hasn't been much done since wireless AX was released so most of the reviews/rankers are for AC devices. If you're wanting to go with an AX device, google for some actual tested reviews. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

thanks,

HHP

Not trying to be an A-hole but its an 11 year old device. Look how far computers and phones have come in 11 years. 11 years ago, I think i was paying for 20mbps services and it was one of the fastest services I could pay for at that time. My router easily maxed out my connection and so did my wireless. since then, we've had great advances in ISP speeds and home networking speeds. Which has driving improvements in routers/wireless devices. 

Message 8 of 10
hhp94001
Aspirant

In my current set up, although the router offers wifi function, I do not really use this function.  Instead, I use the router to feed 2 hot spots for fist & second floor (Ubiquity - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016K4GQVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Since I do not really use the "wifi" function of the router, should I get a dedicated router alone (w/o wifi function)?  or it is not worth it?

thanks for sharing the link below.. I do not know much about router in general (ie. AX vs. AC).  The website has interesting reviews.  Will review more.

HHP

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you're only using it for the wired connection and are already using ubiquiti, I'd check out a edgerouter from ubiquiti. Its not a netgear device but I've heard great things about it. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7