Highlighted
Aspirant

N600 and SSID broadcasting

We had a power outage here a few days ago and ever since then all the devices on my network couldn't connect to the network. I reset the router this morning and now, at least, my smartphone can connect to the network BUT ONLY WHEN the SSID broadcasting is on. I had the SSID broadcasting set to off in the past, we have had power outages also in the past, and have had no connection issues when the power came back on. When the phone is now connected and I turn the SSID broadcasting off, the phone gets kicked off the network. Any suggestions as to how I get the network back to the way it was?

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Re: N600 and SSID broadcasting

Enable the SSID broadcasting again. Disabling is a bad idea anyway.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

I know that it is a bad idea. But that was my point, as soon as I shut the SSID broadcasting off, the phone gets kicked off the network and cannot sign back on. It was working perfectly fine before the power outage, SSID off and all network items connected (phone, TV and PS3. My computer is hard wired to the router)

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Convinced you have not disabled the radio(s) in attempt instead of just hiding the SSID?

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Radio(s)? I have no idea what that means or what you are referring to. I am shutting of the SSID broadcasting from the router admin wireless options.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted

@slojoeguam wrote:

Radio(s)? I have no idea what that means or what you are referring to. I am shutting of the SSID broadcasting from the router admin wireless options.

Turning off the SSID broadcast (To view or change basic wireless settings) is not the same as turning off the radio (Advanced Wireless Settings).

There is support for the WNDR3400v3, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> WNDR3400v3 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

That you admit that you "have no idea what that means" could suggest that you don't know which you have actually done.

What do the LEDs show?

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements