× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N900 with Arris Modem speed capped

CyberSurfer
Tutor

N900 with Arris Modem speed capped

Hi all,

Hoping some of you fine folks can help me out. Having an issue with my N900 providing >100Mbs while the Arris router from Spectrum is providing <400Mbs.
The N900 is a WNDR4500v2 with the latest firmware V1.0.0.72_1.0.45. 
The speed limitation occurs for both my ethernet connected desktop and my wireless devices, so it's not simply an issue with the wireless settings, but rather all traffic via the router. I saw another forum which suggested checking the MTU size which I did and that's correct. I am not sure what other aspects might be causing an issue, but I'm really upset that my NetGear router is causing me to get 25% of the speed I'm paying for.

Please help :'(

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

What arris do you have?

Have you checked the cable? make sure its cat5e or >. 

swap it out if you are questioning it at all

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What arris do you have?

Have you checked the cable? make sure its cat5e or >. 

swap it out if you are questioning it at all

Message 2 of 6
CyberSurfer
Tutor

plemans,

Thank you for the response. It's an Arris TM1602, but I never thought of the cable before, and you were spot on it's a Cat 5. Looking to pick up a Cat 6 today and test if that gets me the speed i'm expecting (oddly don't have any Cat 6 on hand).
I'll update after I swap out.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Let me know how it goes!

Message 4 of 6
CyberSurfer
Tutor

Plemans,

So swapping out the cable to a Cat6 seemed to do the trick. My desktop which is wired is now reporting close to the 400Mbs expected. My wireless 5g doubled, but is hovering around 180/190 Mbs. Any idea why it might not be getting the full 400Mbs on 5g? The 2.4 is even worse at only 60Mbs, but I don't know what speed 2.4Ghz should top out at.

Thanks again for the help and I marked that as the answer. If you have further insight on the wireless speed it be appreciated, but you certainly moved me forward.

Could it be that the NetGear n900 is splitting the 400Mbs between the 5Ghz, 2.4 Ghz, and the guest network?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

glad it fixed it.

Your wireless speeds are actually pretty awesome for that device. 

Its a n900 device and a bit older one at that. 

Some AC devices won't max out 400mbps over 5ghz. Your almost 200mbps is pretty darned good for 5ghz with that router.

And 2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz. hitting 60mbps is basically when AC devices hit over 2.4ghz and you're on a wireless N router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7