× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAT Loopback : Low bandwidth

birdie377
Aspirant

NAT Loopback : Low bandwidth

Hi there,

I have a WNDR4500 first generation as my lan router, behind the internet gateway.

There is a server on the LAN and some clients (smartphones, computers) access it from both LAN and WAN using the internet domain name.

I recently found out that the bandwidth is very low while client devices are on the LAN. When I change the server details on the devices with a LAN IP address, full network speed is available. Therefore, I suspect that the NAT loopack function on the WNDR4500 is not functioning properly and reduces the available bandwidth to less than 1 MB/S. The internet connection is down: 40mbits / Up: 8mbits.

I checked QOS parameters and all seems fine, e.g. no change when inputing a large number on the internet bandwidth.

Anyone experienced this issue?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Based from engineering, the only way to get this working is through the use of IP address.

There will be no firmware updates to correct this since the device is already EOL.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @birdie377

What is the exact changed you made on the router to get full network speed?

What's the firmware version loaded on your router?

Message 2 of 7
birdie377
Aspirant

Hi, - To get full speed, the client connects to the server by using the server LAN IP address. The problem reported is when the public domain name of the server is used which requires the internet router to loopback the traffic to the server LAN IP address. - Firmware is 1.0.1.36_1.0.63. If you were considering asking to upgrade the firmware, may I ask you to please ask only if there is updates to the NAT loopback function. I would rather not update for the sake of having the latest version. Thank you.
Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would like to confirm that the slow down happens when accessing the server from the LAN side, correct?

If someone from outside your network tried accessing the server, will you experience the same?

And when you say bandwidth very low, is this the Internet access? Or it is something else?

Is the slow down happening on the wireless or it doesn't matter?

Did you check all your DNS settings on the server side?

By the way, what kind of server do you have?

Message 4 of 7
birdie377
Aspirant

I would like to confirm that the slow down happens when accessing the server from the LAN side, correct? => Yes, when the client uses the domain name. This means traffic will go to the WAN and the router is supposed to find out that the WAN IP is its own WAN IP and then route back to the server LAN IP address following port forwarding rules. If someone from outside your network tried accessing the server, will you experience the same? => the same client connects from the WAN too and gets the same kind of transfer speed as when it is using the domain name to reach the server from the LAN And when you say bandwidth very low, is this the Internet access? Or it is something else? => About the same as the uplink bandwidth Is the slow down happening on the wireless or it doesn't matter? => Occurs with both Ethernet and Wireless Did you check all your DNS settings on the server side? => Yes By the way, what kind of server do you have? => Synology running DSM 5.1. Clients are using Cloud Station (similar to drop box) or, for mobile devices DS Cloud and DS File.
Message 5 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the details provided.

I have forwarded this to our engineering team for verification and will give you an update as soon as I have a response.

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Based from engineering, the only way to get this working is through the use of IP address.

There will be no firmware updates to correct this since the device is already EOL.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7