× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

daraghfi
Aspirant

Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

This is at best an ignorant mistake, and at worst a lie. Waiting for API specifications, yes; Source code, I find very hard to believe.

Netgear has dropped the ball very badly, and I hope they get their act together but have little confidence in them. Try printing to ReadySHARE from Android and it also doesn't work.

This is not the only area where they're messing up - everything from the website to PC software to mobile software is really poor showing for such a large company - invest in a proper software development capability!

It really would be less hassle just to buy a new piece of equipment from a competitor, and it looks like ASUS is a great alternative.

D

Message 76 of 263
brucie2
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

Don't hold your breath for a fix anytime soon. The Powerline Utility hasn't work since Mavericks so doubt they'll bother with this either. There is a work around for Powerline so might be work seeing if it can be adapted from. You can find it here. Warning though, don't mess with terminal commands unless you know what you're doing.

Message 77 of 263
KenV9999
Guide

Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

@ElaineM Please tell us the names of the source code libraries that you are waiting on from Apple so that the community here can petition them directly to have them released.

Indeed looking here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/ there is no link for 10.11.

Message 78 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KenV9999 I'm guessing it's the entire 10.11 but let me get the specifics.

Message 79 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Had a phone converstation with one of the Level 2 support staff from Netgear who essentially confirmed everything we've heard from Elaine (thank you, Elaine!).  I requested to be included on any beta releases and will post to the forum my results from same once it is released.

John

Message 80 of 263
1view
Aspirant

thanks John

Message 81 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Thank You Elaine and John now I can focus my efforts towards Apple.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7336368

Message 82 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you all for your continued patience.

Message 83 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

I know we've come to this party somewhat late in the game and our situation may be different from others.  I've got a MacBook Air running El Capitan and I can actually print without any issues to a Canon multifunction printer that's connected to the USB printer port on the Netgear router.  We also have a Windows based laptop that also prints without any issues.  I don't think I even tried to install the USB Control Center on my Mac, but it runs fine on the Windows machine.

My brother runs an all Mac environment and with him, we're encountering the same problems you all have been experiencing.  After talking with the Level 2 staff today, we're sitting tight until Netgear releases the new Control Center.  I've got his printer directly attached to this desktop with printer sharing enabled.  While he has to have his desktop turned on to print from another device, at least he's more or less up and running.  

Given that Apple sells their own routers I can kind of understand why they might not want to be overly helpful with their competitors, but this is shortsighted in my opinion.  

Message 84 of 263
JLEVAVASSEUR
Tutor

Hy, 2 weeks after your answer, have you a solution, even in beta, for us ?

Message 85 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Nothing yet.  I will be sure to post an update after I've received it.

John

Message 86 of 263
pheobe
Guide

I too have tried to install USB control centre on El Capitan but in my case it crashed the system and i had to reinstall the whole thing again. I am very angry that Netgear hasn't done enough to help the MAC users who as myself feel we should drop netgear for a company that can support our community, Other product manufacturers make sure that when a system is released to the Public they have had their R&D labs work on a solve while the system is in beta mode. El Capitan was released to the public on September 30  2015 and i'm sure a fix for USB control centre could have been made in that time and thats not including the Beta testing time.

Netgear, Please pull your fingers out and do your jobs after all we are the ones who are buying your products, without us there is no Netgear.Think about that.

pheobe out.

Message 87 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Not what I was hoping to hear, but this just arrived in the morning mail:

"Hi John, 

We have received an update from our engineers. There is no ETA for the USB control center software that is compatible with El Capitan. For now, you may use bonjour to setup a shared printer. 

Please follow the steps below to setup Bonjour: 

1. Click on the "System Preferences" icon in the dock to open the System Preferences window. 

2. Click "Print and Scan" in the hardware section to open the Print and Scan window. 

3. Click the "+" button under the Printers list box to open the Add window. 

4. Click the "Default" tab to display the list of available printers. The Bonjour service displays all printers it detects in this list. Choose the name of the network printer from the list of printers. The system automatically searches for and installs the appropriate driver for the printer. If the system cannot find a printer driver, click the "Use" box and manually select it from the pop-up menu. Click "Add" to automatically make the printer available in the printer queue. "

John

Message 88 of 263

This is pretty sad!    Even the instructions received by jmanthony are pathetic.  Apart from the terminology not quite matching El Capitan "System Preferences", the description of the "Bonjour" solution conveniently omits mentioning that this sharing option only works by sharing from another computer (rather than from the Netgear router).

It is clear that Netgear have not taken the necessary steps to prepare for El Capitan (just as they did not previously for Mavericks in 2013) and could not give a damn about Mac Customers. I guess they have forgotten about all those Customers who also have iPhones and iPads (and use Airprint). Their incompetence is staggering.

I notice that Canon have had no trouble preparing for El Capitan.  They are advertising support for El Capitan (and Windows 10) for some of their printers.  I guess it is time for me to upgrade to a new network-connectable printer, and leave behind this recurring problem resulting from my stupidly relying on Netgear.

I like Netgear routers, but their software is awful and their support is worse.  Given the premium prices now being charged for Netgear routers, their software development and Customer support is simply not good enough.

I am commencing planning for a future migration away from Netgear altogether, and as part of this will no longer be updating firmware (as new releases of this are also often quite buggy).  I simply refuse to be treated with contempt like this, and be expected to just "suck it up"!

Message 89 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

I agree the Bojour approach is a non-fix .

Message 90 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

ElaineM,

Can you she any light on what is going on? Was the information I received accurate or do you have another perspective to add to the mix.

Thanks a bunch.

John

Message 91 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree that enabling bonjour is not a fix.

It's a workaround for now as we are still waiting for the source code from Apple.

Sorry for the steps given. I hope this one is better.

Message 92 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

ElaineM, That would be fine except, even though plugged into the router USB, my printer shows up as "offline" no matter what I do.

Message 93 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you disable all your firewall or anti-virus software?

Message 94 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

The Firewall on my computers? Not something I want to do since the router is my access to the Internet also. Why should that make a difference?

And I just checked that the Firewall does allow Bonjour and other necessary connections. Once again, all worked fine until the El Cap update.

Message 95 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LostPetrel Followed the article and it's working on my end. 
I'm using HP Deskjet 1000.

Message 96 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Thank you for the response Elaine. I have a Brothers MFC7420. Going into "Printers & Scanners" it will show, but says it is offline even though it is cabled to the router via USB.

Message 97 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LostPetrel Can you post a screenshot?

Message 98 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 3.48.17 PM.png

Message 99 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LostPetrel Do you have the latest printer drivers installed? Verify as well with Mac on how to make the printer online.

In addition, you may want to check this link and use it as a guideline.

Also, see if this site works for you.

Message 100 of 263
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7