× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

LostPetrel
Apprentice

Thank You again Elaine. I have checked for latest drivers (though Brothers do not show one for El Cap), I have gone through all the suggested steps including deleting and reinstalling printer including by using IP address of router. The problem continues to be that the printer cannot be discovered through the router (wired it works fine) even using the IP address did not work. I have tried to get specific answers through the Apple communities but at this point had no success.

Message 101 of 263
daraghfi
Aspirant

Elaine / LostPetrel, please move this 1:1 conversation to being off the board.

If you have a solution, you might consider sharing, but otherwise the troubleshooting is not of general benefit.

Many thanks and best regards.

Cheers,

Daragh

Message 102 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

I would like to see all of the discussions continued on this thread. We can learn from what works as well as what doesn't.

Thanks.

John

Message 103 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

I think the suggestions and links that Elaine has provided have been helpful even if not being my solution. I see no reason to stop this discussion, no one is being forced to follow it.

Message 104 of 263
daraghfi
Aspirant

With all due respect, I joined this thread to get an update for when the "NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan" will be fixed - that is why I subscribed to the thread and get an email with every update. Anything else is actually and literally off-topic, and therefore noise.

I say this not to be rude, but to ask you to think about the context of your conversation, and the topic at hand. By all means create a new topic for your discussion of altenative methods of printing from a Mac. I am just saying that that discussion is not for this thread. Others can follow you to the other thread, but I cannot change the topic of this thread for you to continue here.

The other reality of the off-topic interchange is that every time we get an email without a resolution to the topic at hand, it just confirms that Netgear is not a vendor I want to work with, either with the ability to deliver quality and well supported product, or to publish well-developed interim solutions. "Booo", I say.

Thank you for your consideration.

D

Message 105 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

D,

If you don't like Netgear, then maybe you should just return the router and get a different brand that works. I'm sure you can find something out there that's a suitable solution.

For those of us who are toughing it out until a solution is in place, let's not complain about how lame Netgear is for not having this solved sooner.  I'm sure the Netgear staff is as frustrated with this situation as we are. Telling them you think their company stinks isn't going to motivate them to find a solution faster.  

I appreciate Elaine's efforts to keep us posted and offer up some suggestions on possible work arounds. The more we try the work arounds the more likely we are to find something that works for us until a permanent solution is in place.

Just my $0.02.

John

Message 106 of 263
daraghfi
Aspirant

Thanks, John - I respect that. Good point about not making the Netgear employees feel bad.

D

Message 107 of 263
goldsoul
Aspirant

Netgear you should fire all of your computer science majors if they still haven't figuired out how to make this program compatible with osx el capitan. I'm probably never gonna buy another product from your company because of this!

Message 108 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

OK Netgear no more excuses, time to get busy;

http://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-1011/

Message 109 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LostPetrel This is acknowledged. I'm waiting for any updates. 

Message 110 of 263

I really have to jump on this thread and add my comments. Today I decided to rewire my home office and thought, I know I'll use the USB port on my Netgear router and share my new printer on the network, after hours of frustration and trying to get ReadyShare to work I stumbled across this thread. Lets summarise; back in mid SEPTEMBER (THREE MONTHS AGO) Elaine said that the EL Capitan version of the control centre was in "Beta Test" and that we should "Rest assured that our engineering department is on top of this" HA. Its now nearly Christmas and I have to abandon my plans because the incompetence of Netgear means I cant use one of the capabilities  I BOUGHT the router for, I feel cheated and let down by NetGear. I really wish I'd bought ASUS (or any make other than NetGear) and I can assure you when I make my next router purchase it WONT be Netgear, I suspect many others feel this way too. So just when will Netgear drop their contempt for Mac users, get off their backsides and finish their "Beta Testing"  I work in the Software industry; we have development plans and release dates so surely Netgear should be able to simply tell us the release date...if they really are working on it.

Thoroughly hacked off. Wish I'd never bought NetGear.

Message 111 of 263
stan12
Aspirant

Hi, 

I had the exact same issue as you all, my printer was showing as offline when trying to use the bonjour method no amount of reconfiguring etc made any difference. Issues occured after El Capitan upgrade on macbook.

I then decided to unplug the printer (canon pixma ip5000) from the USB port it was plugged into and plugged it into the 2nd USB slot on my R7500 and I'm now able to print without problems without the usb controller app.

The reason I did this was because I couldn't even see the printer on the network via a windows 7 PC that that was working previously with the usb controller app.

I recently purchased an IMAC of which came with El Capitan installed so had never connected to the printer but it found the printer immediately without issues.

I was patiently waiting for yonks Smiley Frustrated for netgear to resolve these issues until I attempted the above.

I doubt i'll even install the usb controller when/if netgear even fix this issue - as things are working for me now without their 'technology'.

Hope this works for others too.

Message 112 of 263

Hi Stan, I'm trying to connect to an R6200 V2 Router and it has two USB slots, the manual says to connect the to the USB2 slot, but it also has a USB3 slot. Just so I'm clear, when you say you plugged it into the 2nd slot, do you mean on the Router itself? and if so how did you 'see' or install  the printer on the Mac, because the Control centre simply wont run under El Capitan or did El Capitan just 'recognize' the printer and install?

Meanwhile Netgear stay silent.......

Message 113 of 263
THX1138A
Initiate

I was having the same issue (the USB Control Center freezing and printer networking through the Netgear wireless router not working) after installing El Capitan... For months.

However, more recently, my HP printer worked when (1) I force quit out of the Netgear USB Control Center, and (2) I plugged the printer directly into the USB port on the back of my R7000.  It simply came up as a Bonjour printer in the Printers & Scanners of System Preferences, so I added it to my list of printers, printed a test page, and have been printing flawlessly every since.

I made sure to install the most recent firmware from the support page for my router.

The Netgear USB Control Center that Netgear included with the router was one of my Login Items, and it was hanging/freezing every time I started up. The solution for me was to remove it from my login litems (and probably uninstall it, but I have not done that yet), and just use the printer plugged directly into the USB port in the back of the R7000 without any Netgear utilities, but with the latest firmware.

So whatever Elaine and the rest of the Netgear team might be beta testing, you might not need it.

Message 114 of 263
cleudio
Guide

I would understand if all these people who say they have solved the problem with Bonjour; They are taking the piss. I do not understand how a person who does not want to use the utility Netgear write in this post. Netgear employees: do you think your customers are stupid enough not to understand that you are putting those posts to make us pass for fools?
Message 115 of 263
THX1138A
Initiate

@cleudio, I am a real consumer who has watched this message board since I installed the El Capitan update, and the Netgear Control Center started to freeze and hang. I have been just as frustrated that there has been such slow/no progress toward a solution. For that, I blame Apple (whose software and products of late have not been as smooth and intuitive as in the Jobs era) as I do Netgear (who has not developed a solution or work around for its users, for what was a simple but usefeul function).

At that time, the printer did not work through the router, and I did not think the printer would work through the router without the Netgear utility.  So, like you, I was sitting around waiting for Netgear to update their Control Center, pulling the USB cable out of one computer into another when I wanted to print.

I mentioned Bonjour only because that's how it shows up in my Printer & Scanner pane.  It may be completely irrelevant.

I don't know what changed since September, if anything (and I doubt it was anything related to Netgear, since they have not posted the solution), but I would think it is a relief to know that you might be able to connect your printer to the router and print wirelessly again, after 3 months of waiting like a tool (referring to myself) for Netgear to post a solution, as I was doing.

I posted that it worked for me only because I tried to do it in Sept., and it didn't work, and when I was checking back yesterday, I read another post in this thread that mentioned just connecting it without the Control Center, so I gave it a shot, and it worked for me. Take the solution or leave it, but it takes about 10 seconds to try it.

Please post back if it works (or does not work) for you.  It will only help the community figure out whether it is a universal solution, or just an anomaly that works for a few of us.

(I am running a Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB memory, a mid-2010 27" iMac with 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7 and 8 GB of memory, a Netgear R7000 router with firmware v. 1.0.5.48_1.1.79, and a HP 2025dn connected via USB cable to the rear USB 2.0 port of the R7000.)

Message 116 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Thanks, THX, for your constructive reply.  Knowing what's working as well as what's not is always helpful in situations like this.

John

Message 117 of 263
cleudio
Guide

ridiculous and incompetent as well as false
Message 118 of 263
manishsaxena
Initiate

NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

This is really frustrating that post months Netgear has not been able to release a fix for this problem with OS X El Captain.

Extremely poor support from NETGEAR - unacceptable 

Message 119 of 263
madosoft
Aspirant

Rif.: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

Hi, I followed this thread but after three months still no solution ? Netgear miss the point... No date planned for the update ? It's no possible for a home networking product (ex?) leader market. 

Please update this thread with something else of some workarounds. No excuse on source code not available from Apple...

thanks.

Message 120 of 263
Rosscoedude59
Initiate

This is absolutely garbage. I was told that Netgear was the best option for networking gear but after this I think I will be going elsewhere when I get around to updating. I have things I want to print but do not want to move my A3 Epson colour printer from where it is so I can connect directly to it and it is also inconvenient to do so. I am very disappointed with the slack attitude of Netgear and if the programmers were working for me they would be unemployed by now. Disgusting support.

Message 121 of 263
fogrover
Aspirant

Hi,

I would like to alert you that Netgear Genie hangs on close under El Capitan 10.11.2. It also hangs under other operations.

I hope that Netgear is working on the problem.

Thank you.

Fogorver

Message 122 of 263
tuckerm2
Aspirant

Any news from Netgear on this?  Surely they must be releasing an update soon?

Message 123 of 263
WorstRouterEVER
Aspirant

Completely UNACCEPTABLE that now my printer is UNUSABLE now that Ive updated to El Capitan. How is it that you (Netgear) want to install bloatware on my computer, that is ugly, clunky and general doesnt work all that great to begin with, and now its completly useless...

When I bought my router, I thought for the money I was buying the best, apparantly not. Get you act together, I'll be returning this and buying something that actually works.

Message 124 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

It has now been a month since NetGear has had the source code. It does not seem like it can be a priority if still no update.

Message 125 of 263
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7