× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

jmanthony
Apprentice

Thank you, Nifer.  I look forward to the response.

John

Message 151 of 263

Just want to add my voice in support of getting a fix for MAC OS X El Capitan (I'm running 10.11.3) so that I can use "ReadySHARE" aka NETGEAR USB Control Center Utility.

Message 152 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

I no longer believe Netgear is actively working on a solution to this problem.  Even though I've been informed it's been escalated within Netgear, I see no indiction of that.  In an exchange with one of their support staff this morning, I told them Netgear should offer refunds since their equipment won't work as advertised. Not too surprising that the answer I got was this is Apple's problem not Netgear's and if you want a refund, talk with the folks you bought your gear from.  I was also given one of their work arounds that really doesn't work.  I also asked for copies of their relevant communication with Apple so that we could try lobbying them as well, but that request fell on deaf ears.

In a separate exchange with another of their staff I asked if there were any issues at all with their routers working with Apple equipment and I was told there were none.

I will never buy Netgear equipment again nor will I recommend it to friends, family or anyone else who asks. 

John

Message 153 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

It is really too bad that NetGear sees it as Apple's problem, because it is not. It is most definately their problem as they are not only losing all of us currently with this problem, but will also find so much bad publicity because of this it will without a doubt effect future sales.

Message 154 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

I suspect Netgear sees the Mac segment as so small they don't have to worry about us. On the one hand that might be true, but I suspect some of us work in the technology field where we're making enterprise purchasing decisions.

John

Message 155 of 263
MarkCoffsHarbou
Initiate

Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

are you still waiting for source code 6 months later????

Message 156 of 263

Yeah John,

I agree your point.

Beside NETGEAR, I strongly recommend D-Dlink Tri-Band router AC5300. DLink after sales service is really good. Their interface looks a lot more attractive and up-to-date comparing to NETGEAR.

In conclusion, no more NETGEAR router anymore.
Message 157 of 263
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi John -

I'm sorry for the delay in resolving this issue. Please note that we reached out to Apple last week on this issue and have asked for their help to ensure interoperability between our utility and the latest Mac operating system, which is a different process for us than with prior Mac operating systems. However, we don't know how long this will take.

in the meantime, we recommend that customers use Bonjour for shared printing. We understand that this solution is not acceptable to all our Mac customers. For those who are interested, here are the instructions:  http://KB.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30073

Again, I'm very sorry about the delay. 

Nifer

Message 158 of 263
JamHut
Tutor

El Capitan 1st developer beta: June 8, 2015

El Capitan release: Sept 30, 2015

“Reached out to Apple”: “Last week”

?!

Message 159 of 263

Good grief, I wonder if this guy really thinks that telling us they 'reached out' last week is a good thing, They should have realised WITHIN HOURS of opening the source that they didn't have what they needed (which by the way I still don't believe), so what have they been doing for 6 months? And if they did 'reach out' then code is transmitted in seconds.  If I was in charge I'd be knocking heads within a day of receiving the incomplete code. I wonder if he actually feels acutely embarrassed by his reply...he should.  This just drives me further from Netgear, I certainly wont ever buy their products again.  There are now 16 PAGES of these unhappy posts, I wonder if he's read them?

Message 160 of 263

Their action says it all. This is what NETGEAR is all about. Look at their user interface, it is actually a replica of some craby PC games in the 80s.

Message 161 of 263

I have the solution to the USB issue. 

ASUS AC5300 ROUTER. 

FASTEST ROUTER

FANTASTIC AFTER SALES SERVICE/TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM

BEAUTIFUL USER INTERFACE

THANK YOU.

Message 162 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Thank you, Nifer. I appreciated the phone call I got yesterday from one of your colleagues. Hopefully you'll have a plan to fix the problems sooner rather than later. 

John

Message 163 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Nifer new to the problem

This is basically the same answer Elaine gave to us months ago. The "fix" does not work on my setup, the printer is plugged into the router but not seen by the computer. I am beyond frustrated at this point.

Message 164 of 263
koloona
Aspirant

Well its all a moot point for me now, I just discovered that HP are not providing a driver for my HP LasetJet 1600 for MAX OS 10.11 - so I can't use it with Bonjour or the Control Center if that is ever provided!

Message 165 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Re: Nifer new to the problem

Just about everyone I communicate with at Netgear has offered suggested work arounds that don't work or have limitations. This is probably a small problem from their perspective even though it's a deal breaker for many of us. Why it's taken so long for them to resolve this issue or step up their communication with Apple is beyond me. Probably the makings of a pretty good case study on how not to handle issue like this.

John

Message 166 of 263
MX
Guide
Guide

Nifer, I just hope that I am missing something obvious, but your answer,

"in the meantime, we recommend that customers use Bonjour for shared printing. We understand that this solution is not acceptable to all our Mac customers."

seems to me to fail in two ways:

1. I followed your link to use bonjour printing but the System prefs couldn't see my printer so I could not set it up. This was the problem I had with OS Yosemite and why I downloaded and used the Netgear USB control center, which worked then but not now with El Capitan. Please let me know what I should do to print from my Mac without using a USB cord to physically connect to the printer.

2. The reason that this solution is not acceptable to this Mac customer is because it doesn't work.

Message 167 of 263
pdmal
Initiate

It surely must be imbarrassing for Netgear by now that they have not been able to delivery a working Netgear USB control center utility for IOS 10 El Capitan. I really thought that Netgear is leading brand with leading development. It seem like I am mistaken and paying a premium for Netgear products for nothing.

Where is Netgear's customer support regarding this issue. I have been looking for a solution for months now.

Highly frustrating.

Message 168 of 263
MX
Guide
Guide

I have given up on hoping NETGEAR will provide the solution. I found my old Apple Airport Extreme modem which I am now using instead of the NETGEAR device - it works perfectly, communicates directly with my printer (just with a USB connector and no additional software) and apparently has built into it the capability that NETGEAR tried to include with their dodgy, kludged USB Control Center, that now doesn't work at all

Message 169 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

For those who for whatever reason can't continue to wait without any clear and credible timeline for getting this resolved, if you can't return your routers to the place you bought them from, I'd press Netgear for refunds. They've told me "no dice", but I think that's BS. I can wait until the problems get resolved, but I suspect others can't.

John

Message 170 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

I see this was tagged as a solution, let us be clear, THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR MANY OF US!

Message 171 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

This is becoming farcical. El Capitan has proven to have compatibility issues in many different areas - most of which were resolved some time ago. This is a feature of Netgear products which was a sales point for many of us here on this forum. I really don't want to read another "workaround" solution offer.

Message 172 of 263

I Agree 100%.  this is at best a WORKAROUND.  It is NOT a solution and wont be until Netgear get off their backsides and do what they should have done LAST YEAR.

Message 173 of 263
MX
Guide
Guide

Hang on morrissey007, it's not even as good as that. 

My dictionary defines workaround as, "a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system"

For me the problem has not been overcome at all, thus, this is not a SOLUTION and also is not a WORKAROUND.

My System Preferences/Printers & Scanners just doesn't see my printer at all so I have no way of printing via wifi even with Bonjour

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND IS NEITHER A SOLUTION NOR A WORKAROUND

MX

Message 174 of 263
Stoneymax
Aspirant

I am sharing my WNDR4500v3 router with a windows laptop and a Mac Mini running 10.11.3. Since Netgear doesn't have USB control for EC, I was using the bonjour printer and it was working but now I can see the printer when I add a printer on the Mac but when I try and print, it errors out and says that it cannot connect to the printer. I have rebooted numerous times and even waited a few days but to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts, (that can be shared here)?

Message 175 of 263
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7