× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

smth
Initiate

Also waiting for a solution to this. The (horrible) workaround doesn't even work for me, the printer appears not connected.

Message 176 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

OK, contrary to what was promised to us several times, NETGEAR clearly does not care about those of us that can no longer wirelessly print as advertised when we bought their product. I think it is now time to flood all review sites with the experience that we have had here, and say goodbye to NETGEAR forever.

Message 177 of 263
hbb
Aspirant
Aspirant

+1 that this is still a problem for El Capitan 10.11.4. I've been waiting since October with a brick for a router, checking this thread every few weeks. Poor show, Netgear.

Message 178 of 263
daraghfi
Aspirant

This is NOT SOLVED. Please mark as such.

Message 179 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

This is not only not solved but also a major source of inconvenience in our (and many others) workspace.

Message 180 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

YES, It really made me angry when I contacted Support and they brushed me off because my free support was out of date. Well of course it is, taking this long with no action. I believe they are just ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

Message 181 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

There seem to be any number of wireless print servers that communicate with/via El Capitan. Strange these units don't also suffer the same problems as the Netgear USB printer utility.......

Message 182 of 263

@LostPetrel Thats a really interesting and possibly legally challenging point; If we report a problem INSIDE the free support period but THEY FAIL to fix it then surely they should extend the support period as its out of our contriol but within theirs?

And it seems writing to the CEO back in January didnt mean a jot to NetGear either. I will be spreading the word about NetGears's arrogance and complete disregard for Mac users. This is the Last product I will ever buy from them. 

Message 183 of 263
madosoft
Aspirant

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION !!!!!!!!!

Spoiler
Smiley Mad
Message 184 of 263
asw
Tutor
Tutor

I have a workaround on my Mac. I installed Parallels. I use Parallels to run a virtual Windows on one of my desktops with the PC version of the Netgear USB Control Center utility. It works superbly - I have tested it now for a couple of weeks. I know it's inconvenient to do this extra step, but as Netgear hasn't given us a Mac solution, this is the next best thing in my opinion. 

Message 185 of 263
Stoneymax
Aspirant

asw,

Sounds like a good workaround but for the $80 that this software costs, I think I would rather buy a router that works.

Message 186 of 263
jmanthony65
Aspirant

Another email to NETGEAR's CEO produced a response pretty similar to the last one. Last time they were waiting on Apple to provide code. This time they are waiting for the lawyers to resolve some issues. But the effect is the same: NETGEAR still has no estimate for when this issue will be resolved.

John

Message 187 of 263
Stoneymax
Aspirant

asw, I downloaded the trial version of parallels and installed on my Mac. since the PC that I copied windows over has the utilty setup already, I thought that it would work as is but I am not able to add the printer connected to the router. Any suggestions?

Message 188 of 263
cschneider
Aspirant

I'm finished with netgear. At some point, I'll replace this r6300 router with another and I'll get one from a company that cares. It's amazing to me that netgear won't find a programmer to maintain its product line.

Message 189 of 263
asw
Tutor
Tutor

Stoneymax, I did a clean install of Windows on Parallels, then installed the PC version of the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility. The printer popups now appear whenever I open Parallels and I just print from there. Very reliable - it prints and works every time. Hope that helps...

Message 190 of 263
JamHut
Tutor

It occurs to me that all our complaint here is tucked away out of the public eye, is not actually being taken seriously and has not been attended to at all.

So I wonder what would happen if the discussion was taken to public facing social media networks?

Not advocating that of course. Just asking questions.

Message 191 of 263
chrnaf
Aspirant

Wow.  Someone "reached out" to apple.  If a problem like this persisted for this long in my organization, I'd have customers "reaching out" to Netgear Human Resources to fire some people and find someone else with a longer "reach".  MONTHS have gone by and I can't print from my macbook through this $400 router.  Who is in charge there?

Message 192 of 263

Frankly they could bring the fix out today and I wouldn't care; I'm finished with Netgear, will never buy their shoddy products again. The arrogance and disregard for Mac users is unbelievable. I can only assume we make up a small enough portion of their user base that the loss of our business makes no difference. I will do everything I can to share this 'experience' and their attitude wherever I can.  Note they've stopped replying to this thread?  Too embarrased I guess, or worse, (as I suspect) they just dont give a damn.

Message 193 of 263

The era of NETGEAR is definitely over. Better choices of router is available out there.
One last thing: User is Asia naming NETGEAR as NETFEAR!

Message 194 of 263
Drummy82
Aspirant

I'm looking for this solution, but haven't found it yet. This post was 6 months ago. Anything fixed?
Message 195 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

Hi,

Are you willing to try the USB Control Center Utility beta?

Message 196 of 263

I would be.

Cannot see how I have anything to lose!

Regards,   Charles.

Message 197 of 263
JamHut
Tutor

Um. How to respond politely... This was a problem for —what— 2 years? I now work in a different office and honestly no longer care. Though the strong feeling I should avoid NETGEAR for the rest of my life persists.

Message 198 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Sure. I was beginning to give up. Thanks for moving this along.

John

Message 199 of 263
daraghfi
Aspirant

I presume it doesn't work with Google wifi. By the way, I got a wifi extender from netgear, and also consider it a waste of money - wouldn't even give it to someone I don't particularly like.
Message 200 of 263
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7