× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

daraghfi
Aspirant

Just to be clear, I'll never buy netgear again, and recommend others don't either.
Message 201 of 263
cleudio
Guide

where you can download this beta?
Message 202 of 263
Drummy82
Aspirant

I will as long as it won't make my computer explode 🙂
Message 203 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Re: Betreff: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

I have replaced the printer with a direct wireless, no more need for the Netgear router to print.

Message 204 of 263
OldBlaise
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

Hi,

Are you willing to try the USB Control Center Utility beta?

Yes please

Message 205 of 263
cleudio
Guide

if there is a beta, because it is not posted the link to give the opportunity to those who want to download it? I do not understand this conspiratorial policy by netgear. short enough to post the link to the beta right away and ask those who want to test you can do.This put the question without the link seems a further mockery ... after they have already passed two years
Message 206 of 263
tuckerm2
Aspirant

Too little too late unfortunately. I had to buy a new printer instead.

Absolutely shocking understanding of customer needs for a large user base. Completely soured my experience of Netgear products.
Message 207 of 263

This is turning farcical, net gear are so far behind that this thread started asking for the app to run on el capitan but now we've moved onto Sierra! So which version is the beta for?
Message 208 of 263

Yes, I'd be willing to try the USB Control Center Utility beta.

R7000 V1.0.7.2_1.1.93

macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Thanks,

John

Message 209 of 263
Dimyas
Aspirant

I just installed it and now my laptop will not reboot!!!!!! Dont do it!
Message 210 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly contact our support team.

They should be able to give you the beta.

It supports both, El Capitan and Sierra OS.

@Dimyas What was the version provided to you?

Message 211 of 263
Dimyas
Aspirant

Forget it! You guys have DROPPED THE BALL. Why would I "try" anything else from NetGear!!!!?????? 

Message 212 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dimyas Give me a case number or your Customer ID and I will make a follow up on your case.

Message 213 of 263

Just thought I might report on what happened when I sought the beta.

Only able to obtain a support phone contact number (from Australia) via a website that gives these for a large number of companies. The Netgear website seems to not publish these.

Hours (literally) spent on phone trying to get through to Support and then to get them to understand what they needed to do (just give me access to the beta). They did no know anything about this problem and the first 2 could not even locate the case number we were given by Elaine. They reminded me that my 90 days of free support had expired for my router (one of four Netgear routers I have) and one even asked if I was interested in purchasing support! Also, they were avoiding passing me on to Level 2 support even though I kept requesting this. Spoke to 3 people (plus 1 Supervisor in background) before really helpful Gokul (who knows Elaine) phoned me back and then passed request on to Level 2 Support.

Was emailed a link to an Agreement (including NDR) I had to agree to. Then sent a link to the download. This produced a .rar file (rather than using zip which is native on macs) which I had to get a program to unpack (used "The Unarchiver" from the App store).

Executed the installer, but it seemed to achieve nothing. Ran uninstaller and installer again, but no result. Notified Level 2 Support.

No problem on my system as a result.   I run latest Sierra (10.12.1) on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012).

Suspect "beta" is more like an "alpha".

Message 214 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@CharlesinAustra I have also made a follow-up on your case. 

Message 215 of 263

Hello,

Thought I might give another update. There was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Support up to 22 Dec, with them basically asking for more info and saying that it worked OK for them.

I have heard nothing since, so today I thought I might try a few more things.

I reran the v.2.35 Installer with same result (seemed to do nothing, as before). Then I went into the package contents of the installer and ran the installer again from there. After being asked to close the USB Control Center (which did not appear to be open, so I opened it from the package contents and then used Quit from the menu bar) the installer then ran and requested a system restart. After that I successfully tested both printing and scanning from my ancient but terrific print quality Canon MP630 printer (USB connected to a R6300 v2 bridged router).

It looked to me like a problem with the .dmg installer file unpackaged via "The Unarchiver" app from the .rar file downloaded from Netgear Support contact.  My guess is that the Developers did not start from a .rar file when they tested.  I have sent feedback to Support.

At least we now know that there is a successful fix, that perhaps just needs to be better packaged for distribution.

Best wishes,   Charles.

Message 216 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update!

Message 217 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Thanks for the update. It's nice to finally hear something from someone about this beta. Hopefully it will be more formally rolled out soon. Lord knows we've been waiting long enough for something positive to happen.

John

Message 218 of 263
cleudio
Guide

where is the link of this update?
Message 219 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cleudio Contact support and tell them the beta software for the USB Control Center Utility for your Mac computer. 

Message 220 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

Hello Elaine, seasons greetings. I would like to test the USB Beta software but find it impossible to make this request via your customer support. Could you please provide a link to download the required files - either here on this forum ir direct to my associated email address.

Many thanks.

Message 221 of 263
jmanthony
Apprentice

Elaine,

I think it would be very helpful for you to confirm that the technical issues Charles identified in his follow up notes have in fact been taken care of. Also, as others have noted, it would be more helpful to post a link so we can get the beta directly rather than rely on the tech support channel. I don't see what their involvement adds to the solution.

What do you think??

Thanks.

John

Message 222 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

Hi John,

I completely agree with your comments. After such a long awaited update to the USB Control Centre it would be, at least, expected that the Beta was more readily accessible and that it was OSX friendly to unpackage and install. Having said that, after an anus horibilis it seems there may be some progress occuring.

Seasons greetings, 

CT.

Message 223 of 263
mrkwkkrn
Aspirant

Well, that was a terrible experience.

I just spent AN HOUR (literally) on the phone with your technical support, and I was very clear that I wanted the beta software. He told me he was sending me the beta software FOR SURE, then he hung up, and I got this email.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR, I am sorry I was unable to assist you in resolving your case today.

To help you resolve your case I would recommend the following Steps and NETGEAR article that will provide you helpful information and troubleshooting steps.

https://kb.netgear.com/19593 (which links to the current software, will not work with El-Capitan).

ARGH!!!

Can some PLEASE post a link to the beta softare?

Model: CENTRIA (WNDR4700/4720)|Media Storage Router
Message 224 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For tracking purposes, you will need to contact support. Some of you may be out of warranty but support personnel should still give you access to the beta firmware.

You may simply contact them and tell them that it's a known issue or submit an online case so you will already a logged case in our system. 

If you have submitted a case and have not received any response, kindly PM me your case number and I will coordinate with our support team to get in touch with you. 

Message 225 of 263
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7