× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

JLEVAVASSEUR
Tutor

NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

NETGEAR USB Control Center utility v 2.22 is not compatible with MAC OS X El Capitan, where to download or make NETGEAR USB Control Center utility with the new MAC OS X ?

Message 1 of 263

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center utility for MAC OS X El Capitan

Hello All,

You may now download the official release of the USB Control Center Utility for MAC OS 10.11 and above from the link below. 

ReadySHARE Printer Utility Version 2.36

View solution in original post

Message 262 of 263

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @JLEVAVASSEUR,

Welcome to the community!

El Capitan is still under beta test and so is the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility.

Rest assured that our engineering department is on top of this to make the utility work with the soon to be released OS X.

Keep posted on our downloads page for updates.

Regards,

Message 2 of 263
JLEVAVASSEUR
Tutor

Hi,

Apple gave us the ability to install the release candidate early, it would have been nice to have a preview of Netgear USB Control Center or a beta version.

Best regards

Message 3 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JLEVAVASSEUR I would agree but for now we just have to wait.

Regards,

Message 4 of 263

@ElaineM @JLEVAVASSEUR

Well, I updated my imac to Mac OS X El Capitan public release today and guess what:  the Control Center Utility still not working.

Do we have any update as to Expected Time of Arrival for working version as only v2.22 (which does not work with El Capitan, stating "Installion is incomplete! Please reinstall again") available for download.

This is rather sad, as El Capitan has been available to developers for quite some time now.

Best wishes,  Charles.

Message 5 of 263
asw
Tutor
Tutor

This is so frustrating. El Capitan has been in beta for months, and there's still no sign of a compatible NETGEAR USB Control Center utility. Now we cannot print... Where is our software Netgear?

Message 6 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@CharlesinAustra @asw

There is no ETA as to when it will be released.

As a suggestion, post this as well in our idea exchange board and give kudos to it to get more attention.

Message 7 of 263
Damian86
Tutor

I installed el capitan in my mac, but the program netgear usb controll center does not work. When there will be an update?

Message 8 of 263
Damian86
Tutor

NETGEAR USB Control Center utility v 2.22 is not compatible with El Capitan please update!

Message 9 of 263
Brange
Tutor

I can report the same problem. Is there any information when a new version of NETGEAR USB Control Center utility is available?

Message 10 of 263
AnonymousUser
Initiate

For what I experienced is that it gives out an error like this after upgraded to El Capitan:

Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again.

Have you even open source USB Control Center so we can have quick hack with this and then report back to Netgear? We hate waiting for months to get shared printer working again. It's a major upgrade for Apple computers around the world and your engineers probably haven't missed it, too. Do something please!

Message 11 of 263
dguad
Initiate

This makes me want to jump ship and get a Linksys. A company as big as Netgear and you cannot be ready for a major OS release? Can you give me one reason why I should not buy a Linksys right now?

Message 12 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not that we are not ready, we just want to make sure that everything will run and work smoothly with the new OS El Capitan.

I apologize for the delay, just give us more time and we will release it very soon.

For now, all I can offer is to continue kudoing the link. I myself have kudoed it so I encourage everyone to give it a kudo too.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Update-netgear-usb-control-center/idi-p/9883...

Thank you @Damian86 for creating it in the Idea Exchange board

Again, I sincerely apologize for the delay.

Message 13 of 263
dguad
Initiate

Sorry for the tone of my post.  It's been quite a bit frustrating facing the incompatibility. I appreciate your quick response and hope this is resolved soon.

Message 14 of 263
Dimyas
Aspirant

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NETGREAR HAS DROPPED THE BALL BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 263

Same thing happened when Mavericks released in 2013.  This forum showed that from October 22nd 2013 when Mavericks released (with complaints showing in this forum) it took Netgear until January 21st 2014 (per poster on this forum) to produce a beta version fix that was still only being supplied by Netgear Support on request!

So, I would not hold our collective breaths.   Given that this happpened before and OS X El Capitan has been available to Developers for so many months now, it speaks volumes about the software development management attitude at Netgear. Such a shame given the top job Netgear do with hardware.

I live in a bit of a technology backwater (comparatively) being in Australia, but I was able to import the R7500 router from UK via Singapore to join my two R6300 v2 and one D6300.  I just love the R7500 box (although the design is a bit too geeky compared to the 6300s), but I have had enough experience of poor initial Netgear firmware to have waited a few months before ordering.

Message 16 of 263
solidairs
Tutor

It would be  very helpful to know if and when Netgear will be updating the USB Control Centre to function with El Capitan. We have used Netgear products to wirelessly print for some years and thi lack of information leads to a mssive frustration for us. Inevitably, we will have to look for an alternative solution pretty quickly if there is no solution forthcoming. I also note that there is now no download link to an OSX product - or any reference to OSX on the download page.

Message 17 of 263

After reading the following Macworld article and after testing, I found that my iMac would not successfully boot, if:

...The Netgear utility was already installed, then SIP (System Integrity Protection) disabled, then restarted iMac

...The Netgear utility was uninstalled, then restart, then SIP disabled, Then restart, then Netgear utility installed, then restarted iMac.

It seems that the Netgear utility does not play nice with the new SIP feature, as has been the case with a number of other utilities. However, disabling SIP does not seem to help, as the utility shows up in the error report following the subsequent failure to boot.

It looks like there is unlikely to be a workaround, so we probably will just have to wait until the Netgear software people "pull their fingers out" and get on with doing what other utility developers have done and modify their utility.

Macworld article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2986118/security/how-to-modify-system-integrity-protection-in-el-cap...

Hang in there, fellow frustrated Netgear Community OS X users.

Message 18 of 263
KenV9999
Guide

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but with the utility installed, I tried to disable SIP via recovery.This resulted in a kernel panic crash upon reboot. I needed to disable SIP to be able to run Parallels with a Bootcamp installation and it was not immediately obvious that Netgear USB Utility was at fault. The panic debug screen remains up for less than five seconds. Only after taking a picture of the screen during the crash did I note that buried in the debug notes was a line stating "Kernel Extensions in backtrace: ng.uds.netusb.controller(1.59)..."

Uninstalling the utility remedies the crash. This really needs to be fixed.

Message 19 of 263

Hi @KenV9999

That's part of what I was describing happened to me, in the post just before yours.

I guess you would know that if you use the "uninstall" utility in the Netgear folder (in Applications) to get rid of the Netgear utility (which is currently useless right now anyway) prior to attempting SIP disable, then the kernel panic crash does not occur.  Sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know (in case someone else gets this problem), but once you get the kernel panic crash (because of the Netgear utility) you can do another recovery boot and re-enable SIP and then a restart should be successful.

Best wishes,   Charles.

Message 20 of 263
KenV9999
Guide

Thanks Charles.

I have other applications that aren't playing nice with SIP (like the above-referenced Parallels), but none of them are causing kernel panic. I posted it similar to yourself so that if someone else gets that error they know to look to uninstall the Netgear product.

Message 21 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

I sure hope Netgear comes up with a solution for this soon, I just recently purchased my router, and if I have to go out and buy another in order to print, they can rest assured that it will not be a Netgear product then or ever.

Message 22 of 263
JamHut
Tutor

So is any one at Netgear embarrassed or apologetic or actually working to fix this or is it all "just up the kudos and then someone might care"?

Yours fairly annoyed but more actually ingredulous,

JH

Message 23 of 263
LostPetrel
Apprentice

Yes, some kind of response from NETGEAR would be better than the dead silence here. I guess the next step is to take it to other tech forums like CNET.

Message 24 of 263
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as our engineers work diligently to resolve this concern.

For some who are asking about the source code, I regret to inform that it is not an open source.

Rest assured that this is in priority and the fix will be released very soon.

Again, we thank you for your continued patience. 

Message 25 of 263
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7