× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR WNR2000 v4-cannot access WPS settings and cannot connect devices to wifi

mselder
Aspirant

NETGEAR WNR2000 v4-cannot access WPS settings and cannot connect devices to wifi

My power went out briefly about 24 hours ago, and ever since, I have not been able to connect to the wireless network with any of my devices. It doesn't even show up as an available network to join. This has happened a few other times when the power goes out, but not always. The previous times this has happened, it works again after several restarts. I have restarted my modem, router, restored factory settings many times now but nothing changes. The WPS button is on constantly and I cannot turn it off. I believe this is why I cannot connect to the wifi with any of my devices. I have logged into the Genie, but I am unable to access the WPS settings or WPS Wizard. The areas are just grayed out and I cannot uncheck anything. I have tried all suggestions I have been able to find online, but nothing has worked. Could someone please let me know if it's time for a new router, or if there is a fix for this? Thank you. 

Model: WNR2000v4|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mselder
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR WNR2000 v4-cannot access WPS settings and cannot connect devices to wifi

Ok, I give up. I am going out after work tomorrow to pick up a new router. Thanks for trying. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
seanrratchford
Aspirant

I have the same model router. I would first factory reset the router. Take a paper clip and stick it in the little hole in the back labeled factory reset, and hold it down for 7 seconds. Then, hook up a computer to the router with an ethernet cable, open your internet browser and type routerlogin.net in the URL address bar. The username and password are labeled on the back of the netgear router along with the address I just provided. I believe the username password by default is admin/password 

Once you are logged in, you can set your wireless SSID, security code, disable/enable WPS or any other settings. I have never used WPS to setup routers because of problems like this. Just direct connect after your factory reset. Make sure when you do connect a cable to the router after the reset, that your ethernet adapter in your computer Networking & Internet Settings is not disabled. If it is, Right click and choose enable. 

Sean

Message 2 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. This is what I have done already multiple times. I just tried it again now, and the same thing happens. Internet is working fine, but when I turn on the wifi, the WPS button lights up also and cannot be turned off. When I login, I am unable to deselect the WPS settings. I can see them, but they are gray and I cannot click anything. The WPS wizard is also inaccessible. My wireless network does not show up on any of my devices, thus I am unable to use wifi. Has this happened to you before? 

Message 3 of 13
William10a
Master

Have you consider not using Genie to set up the router and it's setting that want to adjust?

Message 4 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

Yes, I misspoke when I said Genie, I meant routerlogin.net. I did also try the Genie app from my phone, but was unable to do anything with it since I wasn't connected to my wifi. No matter what I do, the WPS remains on and I assume that is why I cannot see my wireless network. 

Message 5 of 13
William10a
Master

If you still wired lan access too the router you may need to reflash the router with new firmware but first have you tried a 30-30-30 reset on the router?

1 press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds with power on to the router

2 keep pressing the reset button and remove power from the router for 30 seconds while keeping the reset pushed in

3 keep pressing the reset button and reapply power to the router while pushing the reset button in for 30 seconds

This will clear any settings including the nvram of the router

Sounds like the firmware is damage some how from the event that cause the power lost.

Message 6 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

Ok, I just tried that. Internet light stayed orange after restart so I logged into routerlogin.net for setup. Internet setup worked. I then pressed the button on the router for wifi, light came on without the WPS enabled. However, I had to re-add my network name and password. Once I did that and saved, the wifi light went out. I pressed the wifi button again and it came back on along with the WPS light again.. Any other suggestions? 

Message 7 of 13
William10a
Master

The wps led will light up steady when normal and flashing when trying lock a device to the router.
So the normal order of the leds lit are the power led, the 2.4 ghz led, the 5ghz led, the internet led, the lan ports numbers 1 to 4 if used, the usb port if used, and last the wps led.

If thats what you have you have working router again if all your devices work with again.

If you want the wps feature to be turned off it should in the settings of the router then the wps led should be off if the wps is disable.

Message 8 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

The WPS is continuously lit, no flashing. I cannot get it to turn off. Power, internet, wifi, and port 1 are lit. When I try to connect to wifi with any of my devices, my wireless network does not even show up for me to join. I have been without wifi since Sunday evening. 

I am unable to disable the WPS in the router settings. I can see that the boxes are ticked, but I cannot uncheck them. The entire WPS settings section appears faded, or grayed out. Same with the WPS wizard. No idea why I cannot edit those sections. 

Message 9 of 13
William10a
Master

Make sure ssid's are turned on and not off if the ssid is turned off no ssid will be transmitted on the wifi in your wireless wifi set up selection for the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz bothe ssid's should be turned on.

Message 10 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

Enable SSID broadcast is checked. I don't see where I can select for 2.4 or 5ghz. 

Message 11 of 13
William10a
Master

Possible that the radios are dead the leds are just show that the wifi should be working but do monitor it to make sure.

Message 12 of 13
mselder
Aspirant

Ok, I give up. I am going out after work tomorrow to pick up a new router. Thanks for trying. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7