NETGEAR modem and router or modem and router 2 in one for fiber optic internet service

NETGEAR modem and router or modem and router 2 in one for fiber optic internet service

Hello good evening,

I have fiber optic internet service and have a 2 in one modem and router arcadyan model: PRV3326B from my internet service provider. I want to upgrade to a NETGEAR modem and router that is 2 in one. Is there one available for fiber optic internet service? The modem and router can also be separate. The fiber optic cable comes from the wall and plugs into the back of my arcadyan modem/router. If not, would purchasing any NETGEAR modem and router or combo work that I could connect to my arcadyan modem/router and using the features of NETEGAR that way? Thank you.

Message 1 of 11

Re: NETGEAR modem and router or modem and router 2 in one for fiber optic internet service

@office_worker wrote:

The fiber optic cable comes from the wall and plugs into the back of my arcadyan modem/router.

Most fibre optic services don't have a modem as such. They come with something that you plug into the local network. You just need a router.

Then again, fibre optic can mean anything. It is hard to get an internet service that does not have fibre in its somewhere. The question is what reaches you? Fibre, or something up the street with a fibre connection that feeds cable, DSL, a bit of string?

It might help of you said who the ISP is and the model of the arcadyan device. Does it have a manual that says what it does?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11

Re: NETGEAR modem and router or modem and router 2 in one for fiber optic internet service

A search for arcadyan PRV3326B finds nothing conclusive. At least not in English.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 11

Thank you Michael for the help. I'm in Mexico and my ISP is Telmex. I think I have a modem and router combination. I have attached some pictures. There is a white fiber optic cable that comes from some sort of small square box from the wall. That white cable has a green plug end that plugs behind my what I think is a modem and router combination. I don't have a manual, only a pdf description of what it is and what it does, but it's in Spanish. I have pasted the pdf link. In the pdf link it says ONT. It also says:

• GPON

Complies with ITU-T G.988, integrated GPON MAC.

https://downloads.telmex.com/pdf/guia-modem_Arcadyan_PRV3326B.pdf

Message 4 of 11

I have attached the second picture.

Message 5 of 11

I have attached the third picture.

Message 6 of 11

I have attached the last picture.

Message 7 of 11

This Google photos link contains the pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G4JtYhF4Qr2caGVe9

Message 8 of 11

The only thing I cannot see is where the Internet comes into this box. You said earlier "There is a white fiber optic cable that comes from some sort of small square box from the wall." If the plug on the end of that looks like a LAN plug, then it may just be an Ethernet output and you could try plugging it into a router. You may not need this thing from the ISP. But that leaves the issue of the telephone.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11

I'll try and get a picture of that square box. I will also check to see if there is a telephone jack on the wall that I can plug the telephone in. I'm currently at my house and this is at an office I'm using.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E