Re: NEW Firmware 1.0.1.6

Goob
Guide

Yet again, Readyshare issues...
How many Netgear threads are dedicated to, or include pages of, troubleshooting Readyshare USB problems?

Think how many calls Support must get ...

If "plug your USB whatever into a router" never existed, think of the savings in support costs!

Evidently at some Marketing schmuck at Netgear bullied everyone else at the table declaring, "ach year we have to sell a new feature or customers won't buy!"

Trust me, if Netgear became known as making pure routers that were fastest on the market, reliable, and bug free - people would buy them in drives! -even if it had no USB networking, integrated coffeemaker, etc... :-S
Message 26 of 52
island
Aspirant

Unfortunately had different results, I had to revert to the prior version after I installed 1.0.1.6 . It made my external USB drive un-detected WD MyBook Essential. Once I resorted back to 1.0.0.58. Thinking about returning the router since I just bought last night. Do not want future problems with external drive with firmware upgrades.
Message 27 of 52
paspro
Aspirant

Does anyone know if this latest firmware supports DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation as a method to automatically obtain an IPv6 prefix from the ISP?
Message 28 of 52
pdanders
Aspirant

mridul wrote:
Hi all,

I updated to this firmware (1.0.1.16) when I happened to visit the admin page, the promise of faster usb readyshare speeds was primary reason ...

Unfortunately, the firmware seems to have some DNS related bug(s).
I was not having this issue earlier and has come up immediately after the firmware update.

To detail my setup, I connect the wndr4500 to a switch to which the dsl modem is connected - and all wireless devices connect via the n900.

The behavior I observe is, after "some" time of use, all DNS resolution requests fail - though internet connectivity itself does not fail since ping by ip (for example) continues to work, while nslookup/etc fail to resolve (via comp connected to wndr4500 ethernet).
Unplugging the comp's ethernet cable from wndr4500 and plugging to dsl modem/switch causes the problems to go away (re-connecting to wndr4500 causes the issue to come back - so it is not a transient issue with comp or dsl, but with wndr4500 itself).

I have tried these, but to no avail.
a) Static IP, gateway and dns on wndr4500.
Tried pointing DNS to the dsl modem (which has dhcp and dns) and to opendns - both fails.

b) Use of DHCP to obtain IP/gateway/DNS.

In desperation, I went back to the previous firmware (I think it was V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 though I am not sure anymore !) and yet it does not seem to resolve the issue anymore :-(

Any hints, suggestions, RTFM or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mridul

I'm seeing something like this too.
Message 29 of 52
Menoitios
Aspirant

Tried new firmware...

Firmware broke Readyshare, would no longer recognize my WD 2 TB USB external drive, would recognize USB thumbdrives. Even unplugging and replugging in the external did nothing. Restarting did nothing.

Downgraded to old firmware, problem solved.
Message 30 of 52
sid247
Aspirant

Hi
I have updated my WNDR4500 to 1.0.1.6 and only really having 2 key issues and seeing if anyone else is having these or know how to resolve them.

Issue 1: The Readyshare for external harddrive
I have a 120Gb HD connected to the USB on the router. When i connect to the router via an ethernet cable i am able to browse to the shares ive created. When i try on any of my 4 wireless laptops (brand new sony vaio SA, Sony vaio SE, Lenovo X201, X61...and even the desktop PC's with USB wireless dongles) then i am unable to see the shares. I have tried to change the MTU settings but nothing seems to work. Is anyone else seeing this or knows how to resolve? I have raised a case yesterday with Netgear to investigate and they said reflash firmware which i did to no avail.

Issue 2: Creating shares via the webinterface for the readyshare
I'm hoping this is just user error - but how does one create new shares on the readyshare...yes i can log into the interface > advance > USB etc and create a new share, but it does not create the actual share on the drive itself, but only creates a folder in the webinterface. Does anyone else have this or know how to resolve?

Thanks
Message 31 of 52
Harbinger
Aspirant

lucky_way wrote:
I can tell, not only changing the GUEST network can make my router inaccessable - I had the same effect through trying to install DynDNS - or other features... http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75162 gives a bad feeling...

I have this same problem, but mine occurs after a random amount of time. No specific settings seem to make the web interface inaccessible.

Mike
Message 32 of 52
3700v2
Aspirant

I upgraded to 1.0.1.6 and all seemed fine at first, but then after a a few days of up time, I had wireless devices start to randomly fall off. And specifically my family's iPad 2s would fall off and never re-associate, even manually adding the AP information they wouldn't re-associate. The range also was suspect with this firmware. Since I only use this as a AP and nothing else this is bad. I have since rolled back to 1.0.0.70 and so far the issues have seemed to have been remedied.
Message 33 of 52
MgA_ODEN
Aspirant

V1.0.1.6_1.0.24 running solid for 55 d: 1 h: 25 m
Message 34 of 52
tamanaco
Apprentice

MgA_ODEN wrote:
V1.0.1.6_1.0.24 running solid for 55 d: 1 h: 25 m

My has also been very stable with the same firmware version. Under Internet Port -> Connection Status it shows: Connection Time 49 days 07:41:30
Message 35 of 52
stevem5215
Aspirant

1st post here and the reason I'm here is because of the REadyshare issues and that it doesn't work correctly. I see here though based on the comments that it will probably never work so I might as well just consider this router to not have that feature (which unfortunately is the reason I bought the dang thing). What a PIA ! These companies (including my failed attempt to make a Belkin N750 work correctly on USB) just don't give a rats ass ! Why would they push these features on us and then not work. I'd be ashamed to work for this company on this product.

Steve
Message 36 of 52
Rhyalus
Apprentice

sid247 wrote:
Hi
I have updated my WNDR4500 to 1.0.1.6 and only really having 2 key issues and seeing if anyone else is having these or know how to resolve them.

Issue 1: The Readyshare for external harddrive
I have a 120Gb HD connected to the USB on the router. When i connect to the router via an ethernet cable i am able to browse to the shares ive created. When i try on any of my 4 wireless laptops (brand new sony vaio SA, Sony vaio SE, Lenovo X201, X61...and even the desktop PC's with USB wireless dongles) then i am unable to see the shares. I have tried to change the MTU settings but nothing seems to work. Is anyone else seeing this or knows how to resolve? I have raised a case yesterday with Netgear to investigate and they said reflash firmware which i did to no avail.

Issue 2: Creating shares via the webinterface for the readyshare
I'm hoping this is just user error - but how does one create new shares on the readyshare...yes i can log into the interface > advance > USB etc and create a new share, but it does not create the actual share on the drive itself, but only creates a folder in the webinterface. Does anyone else have this or know how to resolve?

Thanks

Regarding item 1, you must be doing something wrong. I use wireless laptops with the readyshare and it works fine (except for suckish speeds). Make sure you have identified that you are on the right homegroup in win7 for that wireless connection.

Regarding item 2, as far as I know, the directory has to exist for the share to be created. This is preferred from my perspective, and likely a design choice.

Regards,
R
Message 37 of 52
ATW136
Novice

I have two WNDR4500 routers. Both have the same problems. Using 1.0.1.6.

1. Hardwired connection to router. After setting up the 2.4 Guest network and clicking apply settings, I can access the Guest network using other computers. If the router power is turned off and back on, the SSID for the Guest network is transmitted but I cannot connect to it. If I click apply settings again, the Guest network is once again available to other computers.

2. Wireless. I cannot connect to the Admin pages (Genie) wirelessly. This does work for a WNDR3700 that I have.

3. Simultaneous wired and wireless connections from one computer. I can connect to the Admin pages. After clicking apply settings, I cannot connect to the Guest network using a different computer.

I have a Windows 7 network capture file that includes this event when switching from the primary network to the non-working guest network:

172 3:03:04 PM 5/16/2012 27.9180167 WLAN_MicrosoftWindowsWLANAutoConfig WLAN_MicrosoftWindowsWLANAutoConfigSmiley Tongueost Connect Security has FAILED with reason code: Success {WLAN_MicrosoftWindowsWLANAutoConfig:9, NetEvent:3}

Any ideas?
Message 38 of 52
pko
Novice
Novice

Re: NEW Firmware 1.0.1.6, Guest doesnt work

I have WNDR4500, latest firmware. Have activated Guest network with WPA2, but cannot connect to it. Same result on a second WNDR4500. Is there any fix for the dead Guest "feature" besides going without security? Is a firmware update coming?
Message 39 of 52
z3540
Onlooker

stevem5215 wrote:
1st post here and the reason I'm here is because of the REadyshare issues and that it doesn't work correctly. I see here though based on the comments that it will probably never work so I might as well just consider this router to not have that feature (which unfortunately is the reason I bought the dang thing). What a PIA ! These companies (including my failed attempt to make a Belkin N750 work correctly on USB) just don't give a rats ass ! Why would they push these features on us and then not work. I'd be ashamed to work for this company on this product.

Steve

Steve
I had the same trouble so now I don't use USB drives connected to the router. I have connected a 2 TB Seagate BlackArmor 110 NAS to the WNDR4500 via gigbit ethernet and have had no issues. There are 2 USB ports on the NAS for ext HDDs. I admit I don't use these since 2TB is enough space for me at this time. I have plugged in a USB thumb drive and can access it. I'm not aware of any "REadyshare-like" issues. I'm not sure if this is fast, but I backed up (cloned) my almost full laptop 120Gb HDD wirelssly via WNDR4500>Gigabit ethernet>NAS in about 15-17 hrs. It probably would have been faster if I connected directly to the NAS. The NAS also comes with good software (includes Acronis).

Some have complained about Seagate's reliability in the PAST. I have had 3 Seagate hybrid HDDs (4mos), replaced a HDD in a DVR (4mos), and the NAS (1yr) with no issues. I guess time will tell.

If you're interested see this: http://seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/business/blackarmor-nas-110/

Good luck!
Message 40 of 52
muffsalso
Aspirant

I am also having problems with the internet dropping and the lan dropping with the latest firmware
Message 41 of 52
madhatter
Apprentice

Same problem happened to me. Some devices could connect to 2.4GHz Guest and others couldn't. I have an HP laptop and 2 HP touchpads that could connect. I have a Gateway laptop and a Lenovo laptop. They could connect, but did not get internet access. I unplugged the 4500 and plugged in and r6300 and everything connected fine.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 42 of 52
pko
Novice
Novice

I guess Netgear has decided to abandon WNDR4500 users. I bought this model (two of them) on the promise that it would support a Guest network. It does not.
Message 43 of 52
madhatter
Apprentice

Re: NEW Firmware 1.0.1.6, Guest doesnt work

pko wrote:
I have WNDR4500, latest firmware. Have activated Guest network with WPA2, but cannot connect to it. Same result on a second WNDR4500. Is there any fix for the dead Guest "feature" besides going without security? Is a firmware update coming?

I couldn't find a fix, I took it back and got an r6300.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 44 of 52
1marcus4
Aspirant

Version 1.0.1.18 now downloadable!
Message 45 of 52
madhatter
Apprentice

1marcus4 wrote:
Version 1.0.1.18 now downloadable!

for the wndr4500? I don't see it
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 46 of 52
Puffnstuff
Guide

My router saw 1.0.1.18 and dl'd it a few minutes ago.
Message 47 of 52
NavyJeepster
Aspirant

I am not happy with this firmware upgrade. I use to have two usb drives connected to my router. One was a 1tb western digital drive and the other was a 2tb western digital drive.
Only the 1tb was on the approved list, but both worked.
After the firmware update, only the 1tb works.
What is up with that NetGear?

I only updated the firmware, as the updates corrected some of the issues that I was seeing.

Not happy with this update, and about ready to take it back to the place I bought it.

Sounds like others have had problems with tech support here also. Not a way to run a business.

Todd
Message 48 of 52
kyle4269
Aspirant

NavyJeepster wrote:
I am not happy with this firmware upgrade. I use to have two usb drives connected to my router. One was a 1tb western digital drive and the other was a 2tb western digital drive.
Only the 1tb was on the approved list, but both worked.
After the firmware update, only the 1tb works.
What is up with that NetGear?

I only updated the firmware, as the updates corrected some of the issues that I was seeing.

Not happy with this update, and about ready to take it back to the place I bought it.

Sounds like others have had problems with tech support here also. Not a way to run a business.

Todd

I've been having the same problem with my hard drive. Works fine before the firmware upgrade. Once I upgrade the firmware it no longer sees my hard drive. Netgear even sent me a brand new router saying mine was defective. The problem still happens on the new router.
Message 49 of 52
Puffnstuff
Guide

I rolled back to 1.0.0.70.
Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements