× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on OpenDNS will no longer be supported

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on OpenDNS will no longer be supported

Live Parental Control service based on  OpenDNS  will no longer be supported on NETGEAR devices as of December 31, 2021 due to challenges in maintaining the product and low usage. Effective April 1st, 2021 NETGEAR will remove support for Live Parental Controls from the NETEGAR genie app and from updated versions of their firmware.

Customers can continue to use OpenDNS for content and security filtering by directly setting up an account at https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Message 1 of 5
arees0921
Tutor

Re: NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on OpenDNS will no longer be supported

I have been asking about parental controls in another community board.

I don't understand why Netgear is removing parental controls from it's basic or advanced router settings.  This creates an essentially unmanageable situation for parents that can frankly be easily managed through router firmware.

I don't understand this direction and I don't believe other home network device manufacturers are following in suit.

So what do you recommend we do to manage access (other than turning on our off on demand)?

Message 2 of 5
sienna2008
Aspirant

Greetings,

In the Cisco Opendns.com settings tab, there is no way to set TIME BLOCKS, which was a great feature that I have been using for many years, when using the Netgear link for Opendns.com website.

Can Netgear folks work with Opendns folks to enable this feature of TIME BLOCKS please? Without timeblocks, Opendns features are not much help for me.. Netgear moderators, please reply !!!

Thanks!

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 3 of 5

Parental controls is killing me!

I just installed a new router (R6400) , so of course I'm accessing it fairly frequently. And it keeps bugging me to set up parental control service that you will no longer be supporting.

I'm fine with that, I'm 63 years old and have no children in the house.  What I am not fine with is the fact that it has popped up and bugged me at least 15 times today and there is no way to turn it off.

Ridiculous.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
1_TangoDelta
Aspirant

Hello,

I have been using LPC for a few years now and only noticed this message about LPC being discontinued when I logged in last week to check some settings (which I haven't needed to do for some time now).

I am a bit confused on the wording when Netgear say that from April 1st, support for Live Parental Controls from the NETEGAR genie app and from updated versions of their firmware will be removed. How exactly will that affect me and what do they mean by updated versions of their firmware?  When I initially set LPC up, I used the Netgear Genie App, but once that was completed, I uninstalled Genie as I preferred using the web GUI instead to manage my router. Are they talking about the functionality of enabling/disabling etc. LPC from within the Genie App specificially?

Auto-updates on my router are now disabled once I saw LPC was being discontinued and this mention of updated versions of firmware - so providing I don't update my firmware (currently 1.1.0.106), I am OK until December 31st?

My custom config in LPC is copied across to my OpenDNS account - strange that I can log into OpenDNS using my LPC account without having to create a new one?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7