× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Help debugging Orbi UPnP problem

_mark
Tutor

Need Help debugging Orbi UPnP problem

Hi Community,

My Orbi RBR850 appears to drop UPnP service after operating normally for 3 days.

The problem is reproducible.

--> I suspect that it is bug in the Orbi, and am asking for help debugging the problem.
      I have NOT reported the problem to Netgear (support ended about 8 days ago),
      but I have asked Edovia for any debugging assistance they can provide (eg, log files).

Environment:
  Orbi RBR850 operating normally (ring light off), FW V3.2.16.22_1.4.9.
  The Orbi is connected directly to a Google Gflt110 Fiber Jack (ie, no Google Router).
  No other routers or mesh satellite routers are in the environment.

I am running Edovia Screens Connect v4.9.5 on a MacMini 2018, MacOS 11.1,
  hardwire connected directly to the Orbi.
  The Edovia app is configured to use UPnP service at port 5900 to support remote connections.

Normal operation:
  Following an Orbi reboot, the Edovia application attaches to the UPnP service
  and the Orbi UPnP Portmap Table shows an active TCP Int Port 5900
  mapped to Ext Port 5900 and associated with the MacMini IP address.

The Edovia application reports that it is available for remote connections.
  I can connect to the Edovia application from a remote client that is not on the LAN.

Failure:
  After a few days, the Edovia application reports that the UPnP service is not available,
  and I can no longer connect to the Edovia application from a remote client.
  The Orbi shows the the UPnP Portmap entry for port 5900 is still active.

a1. If I close the Edovia app: The Orbi continues to show UPnP port 5900 open,
            for at least another 15 minutes.
     a2. If I then restart the Edovia app:  It starts up normally but then reports that it can not continue
            starting up due to a Port Mapping issue.
            Following the Screens Connect failure, the Orbi still shows UPnP port 5900 open.
    a3. If I then reboot the MacMini and restart the Edovia app:  The Edovia app starts up normally,
            but again fails due to a Port Mapping issue.   The Orbi still shows UPnP port 5900 open.
    a4. If I then reboot the Orbi, following reboot the Orbi shows a UPnP entry for Int and Ext port 5900,
           the Edovia app reports that is working normally, and I am able to connect from a remote client.

b.  If instead, I reboot the Orbi alone (without restarting the Edovia app nor restarting the MacMini),
           following reboot the Orbi shows a UPnP entry for Int and Ext port 5900,
           and the Edovia app reports that is working normally, and I am able to connect from a remote client.

The MacOS system.log does not include any reference to the Edovia app,
     nor any network or port mapping issues.  I have run this Edovia app on this MacMini for years
     using an Apple Extreme router with no UPnP problems.

This failure scenario has occurred 4 times in the last two weeks, at intervals of between 3 and 4 days.

Thanks,
_mark
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7