Re: Need advice on best setup for one 2.4 device

msmisfit
Aspirant

Need advice on best setup for one 2.4 device

Everything is working fine on my new 3800 router, except for one 6 yr. old WinXP laptop with a 2.4/b/g adapter. Would separating it on a guest network stop the dropped connections? I really don't want to stop using the Clear Channel setting.

Any detailed suggestions welcome. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

I am guessing that it could be an issue with security.

To confirm this, could you reduce your WiFi speed to 54mb and set the security to WEP.

If this is the case then there are a few options open and some which aren't:

Message 2 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

All devices use WPA2 so I don't think it's a security issue. It's my daughter's laptop now, and I think it's more of a traffic issue. She's getting dropped when traffic gets heavy in our neighborhood while streaming video.

They tell us Clear Channel switching may cause problems for some [older?] devices. I thought about updating the Broadcom WIFI adapter to N. I'm guessing your prices are for the device, and I'd have to pay someone to do it. Is that right? Smiley Happy

If putting her on the guest network might help, I'd like to try that first... with some help on the settings. Smiley Happy Thanks for your response....
    Message 3 of 17
    sabretooth
    Apprentice

It's possible the adapter in your daughters computer is at fault. Suggest you verify it is on the latest drivers and try again. If you still have the the issue, you and buy a new adapter. I can suggest the Linksys AE1000 USB adapter which is only $14 on eBay and works perfectly.
    Message 4 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

The laptop only has 2.0 ports, would I not have to worry about any other compatibility factors with a USB adapter... like this one? Just plug it in and go? Smiley Happy That would be great!

Thanks for your response...
    Message 5 of 17
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

The prices were indeed for just the adaptor.

I did manage to upgrade my two Laptops last year. The first I was able to do myself, whilst the second I had difficulty searching for a card that fitted. In the end I paid a local guy £20 to upgrade it for me.

I have also upgraded a friend's Laptop and that too is working better.

There are a few different WiFi card types for Laptops. It is important to get one that is the correct size as they are screwed in place inside.

Depending on the actual Laptop though it can be really easy to access the card, a little difficult or quite difficult.

As for a USB one, with the router you have I would suggest something like the WNDA3100v2 if you take this option. I have one but preferred to upgrade the laptops instead.
    Message 6 of 17
    sabretooth
    Apprentice

msmisfit wrote:
    The laptop only has 2.0 ports, would I not have to worry about any other compatibility factors with a USB adapter... like this one? Just plug it in and go? Smiley Happy That would be great!

Thanks for your response...

Yes, just plug in th USB adapter, load the driver and go!
    Message 7 of 17
    StratmanX
    Tutor

Post the make and model number of your notebook computer plus the make and model of the NIC card.

To identify your NIC card follow these instructions for your XP notebook.

Figuring out replacement NIC card choices will be easy. The question, then, is whether you can easily replace the card. My Dell Vostro was easy and had instructions in the manual. YMMV
    Message 8 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
    Depending on the actual Laptop though it can be really easy to access the card, a little difficult or quite difficult.

As for a USB one, with the router you have I would suggest something like the WNDA3100v2 if you take this option. I have one but preferred to upgrade the laptops instead.

I'll keep this in mind, if I go the USB route. It sounds like you are much more technically competent than I am, so if I replace the wireless card, I'll definitely need to take it to someone.

Thanks for the great info. Smiley Happy
    Message 9 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

The laptop is a Gateway MX 6440. I wrote down yesterday that the chipset is a Broadcom BCM 4318, board BCM 944318MPG/Rev. 4.2. [Don't have access to it now.] Is that what you need to know?

Gateway has a driver update since mine of 2/18/05, which I could download. I await your advice. Smiley Happy TIA...
    Message 10 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
    Yes, just plug in th USB adapter, load the driver and go!

SUPER! Smiley Happy If I don't break down and have someone install a new card, I'll definitely try a USB adapter. Thanks for the recommendation! Smiley Happy
    Message 11 of 17
    StratmanX
    Tutor

msmisfit wrote:
    The laptop is a Gateway MX 6440. I wrote down yesterday that the chipset is a Broadcom BCM 4318, board BCM 944318MPG/Rev. 4.2. [Don't have access to it now.] Is that what you need to know?

Gateway has a driver update since mine of 2/18/05, which I could download. I await your advice. Smiley Happy TIA...

Updating your NIC card driver may produce improvements.

Here are instructions on replacing your NIC card. It is easy breezy if you can handle a screwdriver. http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Blade/8511418.pdf (see end of PDF)

It appears your Gateway uses a 2 antennae NIC card. Good. Your Netgear 3800 wireless router also uses two antenna (and two radios) so a replacement card should have 2 antenna posts for the 2 antenna in your notebook to connect to.

Your current NIC card is a wireless b/g 54 Mbps card. Upgrading your card to a 2 antenna, 2 radio card capable (theoretically) of speeds up to 300 Mbps may give you a substantial boost in wireless throughput speeds, particularly if you can utilize the 5 GHz band. It may be true that a replacement card will also improve 2.4 GHz band throughputs significantly as well. There are many variables involved. Bottomline -- I would anticipate noticeable improvements either in throughput speeds, decreased dropouts, range, or a combination of any or all.

What needs to be known now is whether your NIC card is a "full height" mini or a "half-height" mini card. The dimensions of the card will determine the type height of the mini card. Manufacturers make minis and half-height minis to fit the space requirements of notebooks. Gateway should be able to provide the necessary information. It could be in the paperwork or manual that came with your notebook. Looking directly at the card in your notebook should provide the answer either by measuring it or the text on the card's label. Follow the easy instructions above to look at your NIC card.
    Message 12 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

Thanks so much Stratman for all the great info. I've read it and many, many reviews of the USB adapters now, and even though the reviews are miserable on the adapters' performance everywhere, I think I'm too chicken to try installing a new NIC myself. Smiley Happy

So for now, I think I will try an adapter first, and then if necessary, pay someone to install a new card. I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on a solution to my problem. Smiley Happy
    Message 13 of 17
    StratmanX
    Tutor

Good luck. Let us know how things work out. Smiley Happy
    Message 14 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

Thanks so much! I found a WNDA3100v2 adapter to try first, and it should be here soon.

I will let you know how it goes. Smiley Happy
    Message 15 of 17
    msmisfit
    Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
    Good luck. Let us know how things work out. Smiley Happy

I'm happy to report the Netgear 3100v2 Adapter has solved the connection stalls/drops on the older XP laptop. Smiley Happy

I really appreciate all the helpful info, and have bookmarked this thread to keep that nic replacement info handy. Thanks everyone!
    Message 16 of 17
    StratmanX
    Tutor

Great to hear all is well. Enjoy!
    Message 17 of 17
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 16 replies
    • 0 kudos
    • 4 in conversation
    Announcements