• 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

Need firmware update to use Remote Mangement

Since last year's SSL meltdown and the prohibition of SSL use in all current browsers, those of use who need Remote Management have been stuck. Netgear requires us to use https and SSL, but all current browsers prohibit it.

We need an emergency firmware update to fix this. It must allow us to use TLS.

I have a WNDR4500 with Firmware Version
V1.0.1.40_1.0.68. This was written in January 2014, before the SSL crisis and has not yet been updated. This is the newest available.

This isn't merely a WNDR4500 issue. A search of these forums indicates that it affects lots of people. My WNDR4500 is almost two years old and perhaps this is Netgear's approach for "planned obsolescence." Don't know if the firmware for other routers has been updated or not. I do know it has not yet been updated for the WNDR4500.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Need firmware update to use Remote Mangement

Are you referring to this article?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27253
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

Thanks, but not really.

Last year, with the conversion from SSL to TLS, all the current browsers stopped allowing us the use SSL. Problem is, Netgear won't allow us to use TLS, so we're still waiting for a solution. Need a firmware update to allow us to use TLS. Don't know if this is true for all Netgear routers to use Remote Management, but it is certainly true of many of them, given the SSL threads scattered around.

Not everyone needs Remote Management, but those of us that do are simply out of luck until Netgear writes a patch for it.

Any ideas on how to get Netgear's attention to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

tomed wrote:
Any ideas on how to get Netgear's attention to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve already raised the issue with Netgear engineers, unfortunately since you posted your issue in the R7000 forum at that time, the response was R7000 related.

I will point out that your issue is specifically with the WNDR4500 and that other routers may be affected.
Highlighted
Tutor

Andy,

Just checking in  . . . any chance Netgear has or is going to write a patch so I can use this router's Remote Management capability? This router was less than a year old when the SSL3 problem came out and only a year and a half old when the browsers stopped using it. It is now a little over two years old, but I still think we deserve a little support from Netgear.

Is there anything I can do to encourage them to do the right thing here?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @tomed,

Just want to let you know that I made a follow up on this concern and will give you an update as soon as I get a response.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just bought the WNDR3400v3 2 weeks ago and the one thing I had to have because I travel a lot is remote access.  I home they fix this soon or I will have to take it back

Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tomed Got a word from the Product Development team and unfortunately this product has been tagged as EOL and therefore no new fw updates will be developed and released. I understand how frustrating this must be and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. You may want to consider upgrading to R7000 that has the feature you are seeking. 

@PAFL I would like to clarify if you are referring to Remote Access like RDP or Remote Management feature that lets you access your router over the Internet to view or change your settings. Let us know which one exactly you are referring to and we will help you get this concern sorted out.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am trying to access my router from the internet (remote management).  e.g. If I am in PA and want to reboot or change something in my wifi router in FL.   I use it mostly to enable or disable  an IP camera for privicy issues.  I had a WNR1000v3 and it worked well with current (windows 8.1)  Chrome, firefox, or IE.  Repaced it with a WNDR3400v3 now I get a SSL error via the internet with the current Chrome, firefox, or IE.   I tried and old XP computer with an old IE and it still worked.  

Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PAFL Let me inquire with engineering if there's a firmware regarding this concern. Will update you as soon as I have a response.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

Elaine,

Thanks for the follow-up. Not good news, to be sure. If by EOL, you mean End of Life, then this seems pretty absurd. My router was only one year old when the SSL crisis came about. The fact that Netgear hasn't updated the firmware for the past year and now my router is two years old, is beside the point. Netgear should have updated the firmware LAST year.

Anyway, thanks again for the follow-up and your recommendation for me to buy a R7000. However, your customers will have to wonder about your lack of customer support. Why would anyone buy a product from a company that uses these planned obsolences practices and labels their routers as EOL after only one year?  I'm sure your R7000 is a good router, but these are too expensive to replace every year. We should probably look for a company that more fully supports its products.

I don't expect this to change Netgear's mind about anything, but their customers have the right to know what they are doing to us.

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tomed Rest assured that your message will be forwarded to the management and let them know about these instances for consideration in the future.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PAFL Based from the response I received, kindly create a support ticket for this case. Here's the link on how to submit a case.

Thank you!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 13