× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help connecting to new modem

Vsimpson
Follower

Need help connecting to new modem

Hi can anyone talk me thru connecting an old netgear n600 to my new spectrum modem?
Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 3
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: Need help connecting to new modem

start the modem, let it boot up, connect the modem to the router through the internet (wan) port. Not sure if you've reset your router but try it and see if it detects the modem without resetting, otherwise reset it and connect your computer to the router to run the system wizard for the setup after the modem has booted up. Remember the modem will marry your router once its booted up and every time you need to restart your router you will have to restart your modem most likely.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Need help connecting to new modem

@Vsimpson wrote:
Hi can anyone talk me thru connecting an old netgear n600 to my new spectrum modem?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

Don't expect a lot from an WNDR3400. If your Internet speed is faster than 100 Mbps, then you should not use it.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7