× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Neighbours using my router?

Photocatseyes
Aspirant

Neighbours using my router?

Hi, my data allowance of 1200 GB a month with Xfinity has quadrupled over the last 3 months. I went into the admn page of my router, trying to find what causes the surge as it's only my husband and me in the house, and we are not truly huge users. Is it possible that I have someone piggie back riding? 

Is this what I would see? The yellow shows a user that is not ours, but is this someone who is actually using our network or someone just showing up in our network... The blue is us, I can see that. I changed channels by now and brought in new passwords and changed our network name. 

Any insight would be welcome. Thanks in advance

I attached a screen dump... 

Model: C6250-1AZNAS|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas
Prodigy

Could it be that someone in your area from a different area is using community wifi through xfinity like when you travel and login to someone else's xfinity while you travel since you're a customer of xfinity? Just a possibility

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@Photocatseyes wrote:

I attached a screen dump... 

What does that picture come from? It isn't something I recognise from a Netgear modem/router.

If it is your wifi connection utility, then they may not be your wifi, but someone else's.

If soulmates2018 isn't your SSID, then it won't be using up your allowance.

@Photocatseyes wrote:

I changed channels by now and brought in new passwords and changed our network name. 

Is that a before or after picture?

Message 2 of 4
wcalifas
Prodigy

Could it be that someone in your area from a different area is using community wifi through xfinity like when you travel and login to someone else's xfinity while you travel since you're a customer of xfinity? Just a possibility

Message 3 of 4
Photocatseyes
Aspirant

I have started monitoring it on a daily base and am keeping very close eyes on the stats. Miraculously we are back to the pre march numbers. Is it because I made a ruckus in the store and called support and threatened with leaving? I don't know. But I am not nearly close to the numbers I had in march, april, may and june. So I guess we can call this problem solved for now. Nobody is piggy banking anymore should we had have one as we changed all our network names and passwords. Every single one of them. Reprogrammed all our wifi settings, so it will have to be a crack now if they want to get in. Thanks for the suggestions I got here. BTW, I personally never have been able to log in via a hot spot even if in theory I should be able to do that. Thanks. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7