NetGear D6400 (aka AC1600) - are there any known issues with Australia's NBN FTTN connections ?

SGSMikeG2
Aspirant

NetGear D6400 (aka AC1600) - are there any known issues with Australia's NBN FTTN connections ?

Hi,

I'm having some problems with the D6400 with daily dropouts and VPN traffic and I was wondering if there are any known issues with using the D6400 (aka AC1600) with Australia's NBN FTTN connections (a variant of VDSL)

Netgear says the modem is NBN compatible and has no known issues:

https://kb.netgear.com/30439/What-is-an-NBN-network-and-is-my-NETGEAR-DSL-modem-router-compatible

AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit

https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D6400.aspx

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 7

Re: NetGear D6400 (aka AC1600) - are there any known issues with Australia's NBN FTTN connections ?

@SGSMikeG2 wrote:

Netgear says the modem is NBN compatible and has no known issues:

https://kb.netgear.com/30439/What-is-an-NBN-network-and-is-my-NETGEAR-DSL-modem-router-compatible

That KnowledgeBase piece is hopelessly misleading. It fails to differentiate between modem and router.

The router bit of the D6400 (AC1600 is a wifi speed label) is "compatible" with just about any Internet service, but not the modem section.

The modem should also work with the DSL variant of NBN. (Did you search here for NBN and D6400?)

Maybe the VPN is causing issues. You don't say which flavour it is.

If this as a modem you already had, did you reset it before the switch to NBN? (To get rid of any old settings.) Does it have the latest firmware?

By the way, it may not matter, but you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

DSL Modems & Routers

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
SGSMikeG2
Aspirant

Re: NetGear D6400 (aka AC1600) - are there any known issues with Australia's NBN FTTN connections ?

Thanks - but already had that link.

And this a new D6400 - its only ever been connected to NBN FTTN and is of course on the latest firmware.

One of the reasons I'm posting the question..... NETGEAR HAVE REFUSED TO CONFIRM THIS ROUTER/MODEM IS 100% NBN FTTN COMPATIBLE.....

AND HAVE REFUSED TO CONFIRM THERE ARE NO KNOWN ISSUES WITH IT.....

Which should have been a simple thing to do given the link you sent....... unless there are issues and they are afraid of admitting it in case they generate a whole lot of returns Smiley Sad

Hence my question - does anyone know of any current / known issues with the D6400 ?

Message 3 of 7

@SGSMikeG2 wrote:

Thanks - but already had that link.

I know. I was quoting your first message and that link was in the quote from you.

@SGSMikeG2 wrote:

...is of course on the latest firmware.

Of course? We aren't mind readers here. And "the latest" means nothing. Only the numbers tells us if you are truly up to date.

@SGSMikeG2 wrote:

One of the reasons I'm posting the question..... NETGEAR HAVE REFUSED TO CONFIRM THIS ROUTER/MODEM IS 100% NBN FTTN COMPATIBLE.....

Again, you throw in new information without any supporting evidence. Who did you ask and what did they say?

@SGSMikeG2 wrote:

AND HAVE REFUSED TO CONFIRM THERE ARE NO KNOWN ISSUES WITH IT.....

Perhaps because there aren't any.

Any more stuff that you have not mentioned before that you want to throw into the conversation?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
SGSMikeG2
Aspirant

You can find the latest firmware for the D6400 at :

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D6400.aspx#download

Once installed this will appear on the router's home page as :

Firmware Version
V1.0.0.88_1.0.88

Message 5 of 7
SGSMikeG2
Aspirant

And being a sarcastic smart-ass is decidedly un-helpful.  You shouldn't be posting on these boards with that bad attitude.  I do not appreciate being called a liar.

Message 6 of 7

I know where to get firmware for the D6400. I own one. But your previous messages showed little evidence that you had actually installed the newest firmware.

I won't bore you with an explanation of why claims of "the latest" are meaningless.

Troubleshooting relies on having accurate details of what is going on at the user end. Vague statements and generic moans get us nowhere.

As you have a new D6400, you are entitled to 90 days of "free" support. I suggest that you take up this offer.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E