× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear 2400 usb control center - readyshare has to be reinstalled almost daily

csbmr
Aspirant

Netgear 2400 usb control center - readyshare has to be reinstalled almost daily

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
csbmr
Aspirant

Re: Netgear 2400 usb control center - readyshare has to be reinstalled almost daily

Anyway, I am now updated.  Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear 2400 usb control center - readyshare has to be reinstalled almost daily

Didn't give us much to go off. 

1. what router do you have? (model number from the label)

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. what actual issue are you having? is the usb device disconnecting? whats going on in details. We're not there to see whats going on so the more you tell us, the more we can help

Message 2 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

V1.0.1.62_1.0.41

Running Netgear USB Cotrol Center for 2 USB devices.  A printer and a storage device.

When I call up the Control center nothing is there.  Both devices are missing.  So I have a copy of the exe file to reload the Control Center software version 1.36.  I use it to delete the control Center then install.  Voila, both items are back and work fine.  Sometimes later the same day, or sometimes a day or two later they stop working.  I call up the Control Center and both items are gone again. I do this now several times a week.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 16

@csbmr wrote:

When I call up the Control center nothing is there.  

Why are you doing that?

Once set up, the unknown printer and anonymous USB storage device should need no further attention.

I never run the Netgear USB Control Center. No need.

Message 4 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

I only open control center after I try to print and it fails.  Then I open control center and see that it is blank.  Opening control center does not erase items.  I am wondering if an upgrade to windows or something in Mcafee could be causing it. But I would think others would be having the same issue if that were the case.

Message 5 of 16

@csbmr wrote:

I only open control center after I try to print and it fails. 

Ah. Now I understand. As @plemans says, it always helps to know the underlying issue.

How are you using the printer? I assume that it is plugged into the router's USB port. But are you printing with a wired connection from the PC or over wifi?

Can you still see the USB storage when the printer goes AWOL?

Message 6 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

There are 2 USB ports on the router.  The printer is in the port marked printer and the storage is in the one marked for storage. Computer is connected via wifi.  Whenever the printer goes, the storage disappears also.  Something is deleting or corrupting data on a fairly regular basis.  Still printing today.  Sometimes it goes for a day, sometimes a week.  That is why I am wondering if it has something to do with Windows 10 updates.  They seem almost constant nowadays.

Message 7 of 16

@csbmr wrote:

Sometimes it goes for a day, sometimes a week.  That is why I am wondering if it has something to do with Windows 10 updates. 

I wouldn't rule that out, but Netgear has also been messing around with ReadySHARE.

You never did answer the question from @plemans about the modem/gateway you use, if there is one.

The firmware on your router, V1.0.1.62 is two years old and is four or five behind the latest.

R6400 Firmware Version 1.0.1.74 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

My first move would be to update the firmware.

I would also check the versions of the associated software.

Message 8 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

Thanks. I did not realize I was that far behind in firmware.  I will do that first.

Message 9 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

Have to try the link and figure out how to upgrade.  Went to the Genie and told it to update and get a response that1.0.1.62 is the most current.  Very odd.  No wonder I am far behind.

Message 10 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

Very confusing.  I see a file to download for version 1.0.1.74 on the netgear website but even signing in from the web directly to the router, skipping Genie, going to the advanced tab and checking for updates; it says there that there are no further updates available.  What is up with that?  Is 1.0.1.74 a real release or something just released and maybe not fully tested?  Why doesn't the router software find that release?  When was this relesed? Have you been using this a while?

Message 11 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

Anyway, I am now updated.  Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 16

This might be useful for future reference:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apps and built-in checks are there to make things look easy. In reality they are so dumbed down that they are more trouble than they are worth.

Message 13 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

After updating the router several days ago, I have not had a problem with having to reload the USB files.  The update evidently fixed the issue.  Not sure why automatic updates are not working and had to update manually, but it is working.

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 16
csbmr
Aspirant

Shortly after saying this was solved as the files in USB Control had not mysteriously disappeared for awhile, it just happened again.  This is not solved.  Still no idea why I have to reload the app on a regular basis to use my printer and mass storage.  Certainly annoying.  I keep a copy of the Ready Share Printer set up handy.  It is a 2 step process.  One time through to delete the old, a second time through to reinstall.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 16

As discussed earlier in this conversation, the original idea that you need to install and run the Netgear USB Control Center to use anything is contrary to my experience.

Storage devices, which I assume means ReadySHARE is managed completely on the router. See the section in the manual Share USB Storage Devices Attached to the Router.

Likewise a printer, as explained in the manual in Share a USB Printer

If these are set up correctly, then you should never see the NETGEAR USB Control Center. From this, I deduce that these settings are where to look for problems, not the USB control center.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7