Netgear 37AVv2 and cordless phone

ned2021
Aspirant

Netgear 37AVv2 and cordless phone

I have a computer connected wirelessly on my Netgear 37AVv2 on the 5ghz band. I have a Panasonic cordless phone with 4 headsets on 5.8ghz. Are those 2 on the same band and if so, how could I know which channel my cordless phone is on ? I know that I could set it manually in my router for the computers, I set it on channel 6 for 2.4ghz and channel 143 for 5ghz. I have no idea which channel my phone is using. I used to have problems when I first installed my DSL connection a few years ago because my old 2.4 cordless phone would constantly cut off my DSL connection. I have a cell phone too that works on wireless G that uses only band 2.4 and have no idea which channel it uses. I downloaded and installed inSSID but it doesn't show my cordless phone or cell phone.
Message 1 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Netgear 37AVv2 and cordless phone

inSSIDer will not show you what channel your cordless and mobile phones are on, because that's not it purpose. inSSIDer only displays Access Points and not their client devices/nodes. To do that you need a Spectrum Analyzer (you should have seen something of the sort when you went to download inSSIDer). Ordinary folks don't have Spectrum Analyzers because only professional consultants will be able to justify its cost.

Nevertheless, separate the phone's base station from the router by as great a distance as possible. That's the normal advice that you will find in the Setup Manual. If you are still interested in finding out about what channel your cordless phone uses, then you should probably google the phone's manuals or such like. Some cordless phones "skip" from channel to channel though.

I set it on channel 6 for 2.4ghz...

...I have a cell phone too that works on wireless G that uses only band 2.4 and have no idea which channel it uses.

Since you set your router to use channel 6 for the 2.4GHz band, that's what your mobile phone will connect to!
Message 2 of 4
Simon0
Novice

ned2021 wrote:
I have a computer connected wirelessly on my Netgear 37AVv2 on the 5ghz band. I have a Panasonic cordless phone with 4 headsets on 5.8ghz. Are those 2 on the same band and if so, how could I know which channel my cordless phone is on ? I know that I could set it manually in my router for the computers, I set it on channel 6 for 2.4ghz and channel 143 for 5ghz. I have no idea which channel my phone is using. I used to have problems when I first installed my DSL connection a few years ago because my old 2.4 cordless phone would constantly cut off my DSL connection. I have a cell phone too that works on wireless G that uses only band 2.4 and have no idea which channel it uses. I downloaded and installed inSSID but it doesn't show my cordless phone or cell phone.

It's really easy actually, just use the process of elimination. Cordless phones likes the upper freq, as they are allowed higher power.

Perform a bi-directional wireless file transfer, I usually use bittorrent across my local LAN, so speed would be quite high. I usually seed two different iso's/large files on each end and watch them go... I'd change wireless channels or receive a cordless call and change wireless channels while noting the speed. Whichever channel has the lowest speeds during phone call would be the channel to avoid. I usually just note the fastest channel :-)
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Most newer phone can adjust the channel by itself so and if you are not using 5Ghz it will not cause issues between the base station and flier but per suggested moving away each other will be smart thing you can do
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation