× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC 1750 Model R6400 i limiting my bandwidth

boggym
Guide

Netgear AC 1750 Model R6400 i limiting my bandwidth

My ISP is giving me 150Mbps (I checked it dirrectly from the modem), and from the router I get maximum 105Mbps.
Is there anything I could do to remove this limitation?

Thank you

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
boggym
Guide

Re: Netgear AC 1750 Model R6400 i limiting my bandwidth

In the end it was the cable connecting my PC to the router that was only CAT5, wherefrom the limitation.

I changed it to CAT6, and right now I have 150Mbps.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

If you are wireless. This could be interference from a neighbors wireless. If wired it could be cables or the router. I have a similar problem on a wired R6020. My 80-100Mbps is chopped to 30Mbps. I found tech support unable to help much.
Message 2 of 13
boggym
Guide

On wireless I have 149Mbps, and on wired I have mostly 105Mbps, so I do not quite get it.

I also changed the cables. When I was on 75Mbps it showed always a little bit over 75Mbps, however right now it is like throttled on 105Mbps.

Message 3 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

If you are in warranty they may talk to you free even beyond 90 days. They didn’t have a prepaired strategy for this issue. After 30 minutes he finally understood that I had a throughput issue. He told me to return the router to the retailer. They wouldn’t refund or exchange at 95 days so I will be calling support again. Good luck.
Message 4 of 13
boggym
Guide

So you say that I should call the customer service?

I thought that I could find out a solution before going to talk to them.

Thank you

Message 5 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Maybe. My thread is down about 15. So far the only reply is mine and that was an update. Apparently, this is not a common problem.
Message 6 of 13
boggym
Guide

Thank you very much.

I think I will give it a try.

Message 7 of 13
boggym
Guide

Excellent! I just found out that I am out of warranty!

So I will have to wait until someone is answering this question of mine. I hope there is another solution besides replacing the router.

Netgear just told me on their website that I have available only this help from the community or the knowledge database.

I would have known that the router is defective if I would have had more than 100Mbps when I installed it the first time, however I just changed my service speed now. It worked very well with 75Mbps.

It is a pitty that a product that has so many pretentions about the quality is offering such a puny technical service.

Message 8 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Here is something to explore. If you are not running the latest firmware, an upgrade could fix the problem. In my case I am running the latest. I am going to downgrade to a previous version. This problem came sometime after the upgrade. I just don't know when. From what I have read a downgrade is done the same as an upgrade. This router was cheap so I don't have much to lose. Fact is, If I have to pay shipping to get it replaced I may just live with it as is.

Message 9 of 13
boggym
Guide

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the firmware, I just did an upgrade and the issue is still there.

I have the issue appearing before the firmware upgrade, and my firmware update is on manual, so it could not have been done automatically.

I do not find that the router was too cheap, so I have something to loose. I just bought it a little over one year, and it does not have any warranty on it anymore. If I have to replace the router for that reason, I do not thing it is going to be a Netgear anymore. Sorry about that.

My work depends on the performance of the router, so I might need to replace it with another one, if there is no other solution in sight.

Such a big and well known company as Netgear, and they have such short warranty, and pretty bad customer service.

I am disappointed.

Message 10 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Well, an upgrade was released this week. Upgraded and no joy!

Message 11 of 13
boggym
Guide

Same thing here.

My disappointment is rising as I do not get any response to my issue, only to give up on them.

I knew that Netgear is a company with very good reputation. A good friend of mine reccommended them to me, however he warned me too that their customer service is below par. Does the quality of their products go below as well? I wonder...

Message 12 of 13
boggym
Guide

In the end it was the cable connecting my PC to the router that was only CAT5, wherefrom the limitation.

I changed it to CAT6, and right now I have 150Mbps.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7