× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 Firmware V1.0.1.62 constantly dropping internet

Lyndi
Star

Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 Firmware V1.0.1.62 constantly dropping internet

Internet dropping multiple times per hour, every single day.  Sometimes, not typically, the WiFi connection also disconnects.  I've been working from home for months now and just dealing with it thinking that my neighbors also working from home were the issue.  But this has become impossibly frustrating and I must figure it out.  

Note:  I also am getting a Windows has detected an IP address conflict.  Not sure if this is related or yet another router issue that requires resolution. 

Thank you for any guidance or tips to correct this issue(s).  

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

so step one

modem----PC works and is stable if hardwired? is that correct? 

when reinstalling the router follow this guide:

power off modem and router. disconnect coax from modem and all cables from both. I'd recommend factory resetting the router during this step as well (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while the router is powered on)

reconnect coax to modem. power it on. give it several minutes. 

connect lan cable from modem to wan port on router. 

power router on. give it several minutes

then try setup. Make sure the pc is hardwired into the router. That wireless adapter has issues and we're onto step 2. which is hardwiring a device into the router and getting it working. NOT wireless. 

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

Do wired and wireless drop? 

Message 2 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Modem is Motorola DOCSIS 3.1, Model MB8600.

How to determine if wired and wireless drop?  PC is connected directly to the router w/blue cable.

Message 3 of 25
plemans
Guru

How are you determining the internet drops? 

are you not able to browse? 

Is it saying "connected, no internet"

does the wired pc (from router to pc) disconnect? 

Have you tried wiring into the modem and using it for a long enough period to determine if its coming from the modem or line? 

Message 4 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Browsers just spin, then a popup that I am not connected from the PC, and even though I continually keep the Netgear genie window open in the background, it is always the last thing to alert tme that the internet has gone from green/good to red/not connected.

Message 5 of 25
Lyndi
Star

I just removed the ethernet cable from the router and plugged directly into the modem.  This impacts all other devices obviously... but I'll tough it out for an hour to determine if internet drops continue.  

Message 6 of 25
Lyndi
Star

UPDATE:  So when I plugged ethernet directly into modem, bypassing router, internet lasted <1minute and then would not come back up at all.  As soon as I plugged back in to the router, internet immediately came back up.  What's going on??   

Below is a snap shot of the process commands that run each time I click on home internet button to "fix" int internet disconnect.  Is there potentially an adapter issue?

Netgear genie Capture.102920.PNG

Message 7 of 25
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

When you plugged into the modem, did you reboot it (needed for a IP address change)

Message 8 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Modem is Motorola DOCSIS 3.1, Model MB8600

Did not reboot the modem.  Is this simply turn off, unplug, wait for 1 minute, reconnect, turn on??

But oddly, don't want to jinx myself... not a single internet drop since plugging ethernet back into the router.

Message 9 of 25
plemans
Guru

Yeah, when you switch from router to device, a reboot is needed to re-assign the ip address. 

But if its working, don't mess with it 🙂 

Maybe something was loose and you resolved it. 

Message 10 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Not gonna mess with it!!  I did plug the ethernet into an adjacent slot, from original one I'd been using (router).  Do these go bad?  Why are there 4 slots?  What else would a person plug directly into the router??  

Thank you for your time.  Fingers crossed!!

Message 11 of 25
plemans
Guru

What else would a person plug directly into the router??  

I have probably 20 devices hardwired in. tv's/access points/computers/servers/NAS/etc  usually 4 ports aren't close to enough for some people 🙂 

Message 12 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Unfortunately problems continue today worse than ever.  I'm curious that when I click on fix the internet loss on the netgear genie dashboard, it fixes the connectivity issue.  This make me feel like the problem is w/the router.  It always says "adapter is disabled", when showing what fix/processes are occuring.  

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Message 13 of 25
plemans
Guru

so we're back to square 1. 

Again, we never determined if this was a router issue or a modem issue. 

so go back to 1. 

hardwire into the modem via ethernet cable. reboot it. 

Then use the pc/laptop thats hardwired in for 24 hours (ish). long enough to determine if its stable. 

if it is, then we move back to the router. 

Message 14 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Agreed.  So turned off PC + Modem and disconnected everything from the modem.  Reconnected, powered modem & PC back up.  Again, like yesterday, could not connecnow to the internet at all.  I have no idea why, all lights on modem indicating it's working, but PC not connecting, when directly wired.  What the heck??

Message 15 of 25
plemans
Guru

If you can't get it working properly with just modem---->pc. I'd be checking out the modem and the first. Its pointless to troubleshoot the router if the modem isn't stable. 

Message 16 of 25
Lyndi
Star

You can you please advise why once I click on fix the internet it says the Qualcomm adapter is disabled and once that is fixed... voile... Internet is restored... ever so briefly.  

Who owns the Qualcomm adaptor responsibility... is that within my PC, the router, or the modem?  

Message 17 of 25
plemans
Guru

do you have any other devices to test with? 

Again, if you only have the modem and pc connected, how is the router going to be the issue? 

Message 18 of 25
Lyndi
Star

As detailed, I could not get on to the internet previously.  So it ws necessary to replug back into the router for internet access.  Since resolution of this issue seemed to be gaining no traction, I started investigating the afore mentioned IP address conflict, in the hopes of killing 2 birds with one stone.  I deleted a no longer used Array Network and restarted and did not receive the IP conflict issue pop up, so fingers crossed that's fixed, but Internet instability is still off the chart.  so...I've been spending the entire day trying to find an answer to why the Qualcomm Ahteros AR9485 WiFi adaptor keeps going down.  It appears this has been an ongoing issue since 2015 and there is not a single solid fix from NetGear.  WOW!!  One person thought disabling the 5G network would mitigate the issue, but I'm struggling to stay on the internet long enough to dive in, to unchartered territories and attempt to figure this out as his version of the genie is not exactly like mine.  I don't konw what to say other than trying to describe and isolate the resolution is becoming as frustrating as the actual issue.

Message 19 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Found this over and over and over in the system logs:  [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC

Any idea what this means or if relevant to the current problem?

Message 20 of 25
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure where to take this as you're jumping around and not properly testing this. . 

When troubleshooting, you start at step 1 to reduce the amount of variables that can cause issues. 

step 1. ensure the modem and pc work. 

that means directly connecting a pc to the modem via an ethernet cable and ensuring speeds and stability. 

If you're using a qualcomm wireless adapter, you're still using the router. 

And that qualcomm adapter has had issue on windows for years

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/qualcomm-atheros-ar948...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-wifi-s...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485-wifi-disconnects-rando...

A quick google search pulled up many many hits on how its randomly disconnecting. 

its another variable in the testing and its a variable that has a history of random disconnects. 

so go back to step 1. 

Modem----->ethernet wire------>pc/laptop

If you can't get that step stable, its pointless to work on the router because you've already found an instability that could be causing the whole thing. 

Message 21 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Okay... you are right.  So... I went back and took the modem all the way down and replugged into the PC, mainly now because the Router won't work at all.  I was "attempting" to take it off 5G online to see if that would help, when the internet went down again and whatever change I made, it won't connect at all.  Good news, if there's any at the current moment, is that I'm plugged directly from modem into PC and am not having any connectivity issues.  I do appreciate your patient reminder!!   But unfortunately I've now apparently made matters much worse because the router will not connect to the internet and I can't access the routerlogin admin online because it's telling me that I need to be connected to the Router's wifi... which does not work.  Arghhh...  Please help me, help myself!  🙂

Message 22 of 25
plemans
Guru

so step one

modem----PC works and is stable if hardwired? is that correct? 

when reinstalling the router follow this guide:

power off modem and router. disconnect coax from modem and all cables from both. I'd recommend factory resetting the router during this step as well (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while the router is powered on)

reconnect coax to modem. power it on. give it several minutes. 

connect lan cable from modem to wan port on router. 

power router on. give it several minutes

then try setup. Make sure the pc is hardwired into the router. That wireless adapter has issues and we're onto step 2. which is hardwiring a device into the router and getting it working. NOT wireless. 

Message 23 of 25
Lyndi
Star

Update....

Resetting the router has fixed the issue.  This took more than 1 try as I did not realize I had to hold the paperclip in for 7 seconds, but not a single internet drop since. 

Perhaps NetGear should suggest trying this 1st.   Woman Happy

Much thanks for your time and assistance!!

Message 24 of 25
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it worked!

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7