× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 wired speed

Binaryfool
Aspirant

Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 wired speed

I recently upgraded my Internet from 250Mbs to 1Gbs up and 50Mbs down. However with speed test, I can only get about 350Mbs. My upload is not affected. I get about 49Mbs. 

I plugged my computer directly to the cable modem and got about 700Mbs down. This tells me that it's the router that is slowing me down.

My MTU is set to 1500. I've try changing it but still no go. I do not have any other setting setup on the router (Port forwarding, QOS, etc) except Access control.

So I decided to disable Access control instead of factory reset and ran a speed test. This time my download speed went up to about 600Mbs. I did this a couple times to make sure It's not a fluke. Same result. Why is Access control cutting my download speed in half?

What confused me is before I upgraded my Internet speed, when I had 250Mbs, with Access Control, I was able to get to 250Mbs no problem at all. Why would it be a problem now that I have 1Gbs?

I really like this feature from previous router, in fact. I decided to purchase this router based on this feature. I would be disappoint to have to disable this feature just to get close to download speed I'm paying for. Is this some kind of bug in the firmware?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 wired speed

Some features that require additional processing of data packets but are not natively supported by the hardware can incur a major performance penalty. These features force packet processing to go through the much slower software-based forwarding path. Access Control is very likely one of these features. Others may include keyword filtering, port forwarding/triggering and QoS. It's possible that the router can handle up to 250 Mbps when Access Control is enabled, but no more. As super high-speed Internet service becomes more common, router vendors have to step up their game to prevent their products from becoming a bottleneck.

<unsolicited advice>

While Access Control can be a handy feature for managing Internet access by children, it is not an effective means of security against hackers. All a hacker has to do is spoof the MAC address of an allowed device. This is trivial to do with tools easily downloadable from the Internet. Therefore, if you are using Access Control for security, you may want to reconsider and turn it off. The first and, really, only line of defense for your network is a strong Wi-Fi password.

</unsolicited advice>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Some features that require additional processing of data packets but are not natively supported by the hardware can incur a major performance penalty. These features force packet processing to go through the much slower software-based forwarding path. Access Control is very likely one of these features. Others may include keyword filtering, port forwarding/triggering and QoS. It's possible that the router can handle up to 250 Mbps when Access Control is enabled, but no more. As super high-speed Internet service becomes more common, router vendors have to step up their game to prevent their products from becoming a bottleneck.

<unsolicited advice>

While Access Control can be a handy feature for managing Internet access by children, it is not an effective means of security against hackers. All a hacker has to do is spoof the MAC address of an allowed device. This is trivial to do with tools easily downloadable from the Internet. Therefore, if you are using Access Control for security, you may want to reconsider and turn it off. The first and, really, only line of defense for your network is a strong Wi-Fi password.

</unsolicited advice>

Message 2 of 3
Binaryfool
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply and advice, TheEther. I appreciate it.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7