× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie + Parental Controls Vs My PlayStation 4

JAHG
Aspirant

Netgear Genie + Parental Controls Vs My PlayStation 4

I have Parental Controls setup for my router/home network. I understand the Bypass logins (I've created a few for very select members of my household). However, no matter what I do, I cannot figure out a way to make it so my PlayStation 4 isn't blocked by these Parental Controls. I've tried clicking on the PlayStation 4 in the Network Map and changing its Parental Control Filtering from "Default on router" to "none". It simply yields no results. It looks like it's saving the information, but as soon as I click on the PlayStation 4's icon in the map it still says that it's still default. You can't use a Bypass on the PlayStation 4 because there isn't a Netgear Genie application for PlayStation 4.

Does anybody here know of any way to somehow whitelist my PlayStation 4 so that it isn't affected by the Parental Controls? We use my PlayStation 4 as our central "media hub". Netflix, Crackle, YouTube. Whatever. But it's all blocked via Parental Controls so our network doesn't get congested and we don't exceed our monthly limit.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear Genie + Parental Controls Vs My PlayStation 4

The parental controls work by filtering DNS lookups at OpenDNS servers. Therefore, you can bypass them by overriding the DNS servers on your PS3.

On your PS3, go to Settings > Network Settings> Internet Connection Settings and proceed to set up custom settings for DNS. You can use your ISP's DNS servers (they will probably have the lowest latency) or use Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or pick your favorite. But not OpenDNS! 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JAHG,

1. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program that you have installed?

2. What is the model number of your router?

3. What is the firmware version of your router?

4. Does it block the site on your other devices?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
JAHG
Aspirant

1. Latest version. (2.4.16)

2. Netgear R6100

3. V1.0.0.60 (as stated on GENIE and the web-based router page - latest firmware)

4. We have active parental controls and we use bypasses on the devices that we don't want to block, as GENIE does not have a Whitelist feature. However, I'm looking for a way to unblock my PlayStation 4. It cannot login to a Bypass as there is no GENIE application for it.

Message 3 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JAHG,

Please try using the previous versions (2.4.12 or 2.4.14) of the NETGEAR Genie program and see if it will give you a different result. You may use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=QF15A2KMBi

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
JAHG
Aspirant

Sadly, the result is the same. I've had this issue for a while now, only before it was with my PlayStation 3. Thanks for attempting to help. I appreciate, Dexter.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

The parental controls work by filtering DNS lookups at OpenDNS servers. Therefore, you can bypass them by overriding the DNS servers on your PS3.

On your PS3, go to Settings > Network Settings> Internet Connection Settings and proceed to set up custom settings for DNS. You can use your ISP's DNS servers (they will probably have the lowest latency) or use Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or pick your favorite. But not OpenDNS! 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7