Netgear Genie and Access Control

ovsims
Luminary

Netgear Genie and Access Control

Has anyone got Netgear Genie Access Control to work on this router. I select block device but it doesn't block the internet on the device. Or can someone explain to me how to do this in the router setting cause I can't find where you block a device anywhere.
Message 1 of 6
NedFlanders
Luminary

Re: Netgear Genie and Access Control

ovsims wrote:
Has anyone got Netgear Genie Access Control to work on this router. I select block device but it doesn't block the internet on the device. Or can someone explain to me how to do this in the router setting cause I can't find where you block a device anywhere.

It is not for blocking the Internet but to stop the device from seeing all of the other devices on the LAN.

In other words a block device could not share files, see a network printer or use airplay etc.
Message 2 of 6
ovsims
Luminary

Oh ok. so how do I block a device from using the Internet? my previous router had the option next to the device when looking at the attached devices but this router doesn't seem to have a simple way
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

In order to block internet access you have to use either Parental Control , netgear.com/lpc

or

You have to use block schedule and block the service like port 80,443 etc which also require specific IP of the devices. Use "address reservation " under LAN setup and specify the mac address of the device and IP within the DHCP range
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 6
ovsims
Luminary

wow it should be easier than that. though I haven't tried parental control seems like it should be as easy as a check box to block internet access. some services use different ports than 80,443 so without knowing the port used it will still transmit over the internet.
Message 5 of 6
amazinghulk
Luminary

The access control used to work, simply check box, and when someone signs on, right click, and you had the ability to deny access if you wanted..
Since "genie" update It doesn't work... Hope they fix it... cause the mac address thing is not user friendly...
I notice for mobile devices the genie works that way, just not on my pc...:(
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E