Netgear Genie cannot login to router

hcolsen1
Aspirant

Netgear Genie cannot login to router

I am trying to set up parental controls on my Netgear router and it won't work. I downloaded the Netgear Genie and it won't login to the router...it says "login failed. router response timed out". It shows I am connected wirelessly to my router. When I click on the "parental controls", it says I am "not connected to the internet", but when I click on wireless connection...it says I AM connected. So, I downloaded the app on my iphone. When I try to login on that...it says it failed..."netgear router was not found or is not supported...make sure that your mobile device is not connected to the router's guest network and that IPv6 is not enabled". I am not connected to a guest network and I have no idea about the IPv6. I've logged into my router on netgear.com, but there is no "advanced" options. All is says is my warranty has run out. I tried to uninstall and re-install the Genie app, i unplugged the router to reset that...and that did not work. I've had the router for quite some time. It's the N600 WNDR3400 (there is not a v1, v2, v3, etc. next to it). Is this not compatable with the genie? All I wanted to do was activate the parental controls. I entered key words to block like the instructions said and clicked "apply". I thought the internet was safe...but come to find out it was not. I tried to call in for help but all he said was I needed to update the router, but wouldn't tell me how. I have no idea what I need to do. Can anybody help me??? Thanks in advance. I'm EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!!!

Message 1 of 8
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Re: Netgear Genie cannot login to router

If your router says WNDR3400 it is v1. You should try logging in to the router through a browser from your cell phone. Just type http://routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 and see if you can change the parental controls like that.

Message 2 of 8

@hcolsen1 wrote:

It's the N600 WNDR3400 (there is not a v1, v2, v3, etc. next to it). Is this not compatable with the genie? All I wanted to do was activate the parental controls.

I see no indication in the manual that this router supports parental controls.

Perhaps it is something added in later firmware.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Later hardware versions do support it.

Can you login  here:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 8
hcolsen1
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I am able to log into the router on my laptop...and my cell phone. When I go to "content filtering" where I've entered the keywords that I want to block, I hit apply then when I test a word, it still allows the ability to click on different websites regarding that particular word. On my wireless options, it shows "olsen" and "olsen-5G". On my router page the SSID for the "Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) says "olsen", and for the SSID for the Wireless Network (5 GHz a/n) it says "olsen-5G". I actually connected to both the "olsen" and the "olsen-5G" and tried to activate the content filtering and it still doesn't activate it...On the instructions on the router page, it says to enter the words to block, then click "apply", which I did and it appears to refresh, but doesn't actually have the message pop up that Netgear has blocked the search like it says it is supposed to.

Message 4 of 8
hcolsen1
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your reply!!

On the router box, and when I log into the router.net page...it says I can set "content filtering"... where I can type in specific websites to block or keywords to block. It says that when one of those keywords is entered to search, a message will come up that the Netgear router has blocked this search. The firmware version is v1.0.0.52_20.0.60. I clicked to do a router upgrade and it said there are no updates. I tried to log into that webpage you entered, which is the Parental Control Center and it says to enter a username and PW to sign into your openDNS account. I entered "admin" and "password", but it says "invalid login". It says to do this through Netgear genie. I did set up an account with Netgear Genie and that's what the default login and pw was that I entered above. It says login failed, router response timed out. When I click on the Parental Controls section through the Netgear genie, it says I'm not connected to the internet...to connect to the internet through the Netgear router. When I log into the router the SSID for the 2.5GHz b/g/n it says it's "olsen", and the SSID for the 5GHz a/n is says it's "olsen-5G". I've connected to both "olsen" and "olsen-5G" and I get the same messages on the Netgear Genie.

Ugh...any further ideas? I'm tempted to buy a new router...but if this router states specifically that it has "Live Parental Controls--Free!" I don't want to waste the money on another router and have the same problem.

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @hcolsen1,

As mentioned by michaelkenward, the WNDR3400v1 does not support LPC (Live Parental Controls). I believe you are describing the Block Sites feature found on the router as explained on this article. Have you tried using a specific URL?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
hcolsen1
Aspirant

Hi Dexterjb!

No I have not. I actually just ordered a new router!! Thanks for the reply!!

Message 7 of 8

Good move. The WNDR3400v1 is kind of ancient in internet terms.

LAN and WAN 100BASE-Tx and N600  wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E