Re: Netgear N150 WNR1000 V3 limits at 20mbps

shaikelias9
Aspirant

Netgear N150 WNR1000 V3 limits at 20mbps

Hello Experts,

So I got a new performance blast service from Comcast and the internet speed is 50Mbps when I connect my laptop directly with my modem using a LAN cable . But the speed limits to 20 Mbps when I connect Modem to My wireless router (N150 WNR1000 V3)
Message 1 of 17
shaikelias9
Aspirant

i have used xirrius software to figure out channel which is least clogged, but the speed is still 20mbps. I have changed WMM setting after changing it to off i got 20mbps, when it was on my download speed was just 6mbps.
Message 2 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

it is very possible that low end router mode will not support sufficient LAN-WAN throughput therefore you see the results.

If pc is wired the router and results is the same then above is the issue and most likely you will need new router . Any new wireless gigabit router will support it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 17
shaikelias9
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have connected my pc with lan cable coming out of router and the speed is still same. But what surprises me that neatgear N150 as the name suggests I assumed that the router can support upto 150 Mbps. But if it cannot handle higher speeds beyond 20 mbps then why do they sell it as 150 mbps. :confused:
Message 4 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

suggests I assumed that the router can support upto 150 Mbps.

WNR1000 has 100Mbps LAN/WAN to begin with so you mis understand in the first place Smiley Happy

On top of the while LAN port will handle 100Mbps but WAN-LAN throughput is different and just because WAN is 100Mbps also doesn't mean it will support broadband speed of 100Mbps.

150 will ONLY for wireless so internal LAN file sharing you will be able to connect wifi upto 150 and depending to two wifi devices can transmit up to 150Mbps.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 17
shaikelias9
Aspirant

Thanks again.

So what is the exact limit of WNR1000 model brandband speed ? Do we know this ? If its more than 20 mbps I would like to know how to increase it.

Just trying to avoid buying new wifi router.
Message 6 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Consumer lime s have it's so spec so without router has full speed and comparison tell uou the limitation which you already know that it does not support
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 17
corgi11
Novice

My brother has Comcast and was recently upgraded to 50Mbps internet service. He has a WNR1000v2 router supplied by Comcast. I recently updated his firmware to the latest version and turned off WMM and turned on IPv6 on his router as well. Using the Comcast speed test site his download speed is just shy of 65Mbps wired and 48Mbps wireless, upload speed is just over 12 Mbps wired and wireless. With the WMM turned on it dragged down the wireless speeds to almost nothing, that's why I turned it off.
Message 8 of 17
Abhi1980
Novice

I have same problem. I am using performance internet from comcast where max speed is 25Mbps. When I am using Lan cable direct from router to laptop I am 25-26mbps speed, but over wireless is just giving me 5Mbps...

Any thing I can do to fix this please suggest..
Thank
Message 9 of 17
Bulldawg82
Aspirant

Open the Linksys Router Settings by entering http://192.168.1.1/start.htm in your browser. The default user is Admin and the password is password.

Once it opens click on the Advanced tab then click on setup and pick QoS setup. The first option is Enable WMM make sure the box is NOT checked. Then click on apply.

This should help get better download speeds.Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 17
Abhi1980
Novice

Thanks... Bulldawg
Message 11 of 17
amallikreddy
Novice

Bulldawg82 wrote:
Open the Linksys Router Settings by entering http://192.168.1.1/start.htm in your browser. The default user is Admin and the password is password.

Once it opens click on the Advanced tab then click on setup and pick QoS setup. The first option is Enable WMM make sure the box is NOT checked. Then click on apply.

This should help get better download speeds.Smiley Happy

Hi, I had the similar issue, got a DOCSIS 3.0 (SB641) but my N150 still gets 12mbps, I did what you suggested and see very lil improvement, around 18mbps, please suggest if anything else can be done.
Message 12 of 17
amallikreddy
Novice

Abhi1980 wrote:
Thanks... Bulldawg

Hi Abhi,
Did that solve the issue? what speeds are you getting now? I subscribed to comcast Blast and still get 12-18 mbps with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and N150 router (wired is fine though with around 70mbps)
Message 13 of 17
Alex1000
Novice

corgi11 wrote:
My brother has Comcast and was recently upgraded to 50Mbps internet service. He has a WNR1000v2 router supplied by Comcast. I recently updated his firmware to the latest version and turned off WMM...Using the Comcast speed test site his download speed is just shy of 65Mbps wired and 48Mbps wireless, upload speed is just over 12 Mbps wired and wireless. With the WMM turned on it dragged down the wireless speeds to almost nothing, that's why I turned it off.

Using WNR1000v3

With the wmm off suggestion, I raised the dl speed from 9mbps to 25mbps...thank you! :cool:

The capacity for my subscription is 50mbps however...

Can anyone recommend any further tweaks to increase the speeds closer to the max? Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 17
Alex1000
Novice

Message 15 of 17
wcalifas831
Prodigy

I just think you need a stronger router, you're using a low end router that's not going to give you the best speeds for your needs.
Message 16 of 17
Alex1000
Novice

wcalifas831 wrote:
I just think you need a stronger router, you're using a low end router that's not going to give you the best speeds for your needs.

That's a possibility, I'll look into it.

But if the v2 can be tweaked to have 48mbps speeds then I would like to exhaust all options with the current router before making another purchase.

Can anyone advise any settings tweaks to go above my current 25mbps threshold?

Thanks in advance
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements