× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear N300 Range Extender Not Working? Need help troubleshooting

AlexSotheran
Guide

Netgear N300 Range Extender Not Working? Need help troubleshooting

I am trying to connect my Netgear N300 to my Virgin Wifi (2g) for use in the loft. The extender connects to the device, but not the router, I've followed the instructions to the letter several times and nothing happening. Please help!

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear N300 Range Extender Not Working? Need help troubleshooting

what virgin router is it? 

Where is it failing in the process? 

That's kind of key. 

Have you tried using wps? 

Message 2 of 10
AlexSotheran
Guide

The Virgin router is a superhub 2ac, I tried WPS and no joy there at all, so I tried the installation assistant, I get to the point 10 in the quick start guide: make sure the computer is succesfully connected and click CONTINUE. I then get a message saying it is not connected. 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

at that stage you already should have set a name for the extender. Did you setup a custom name for it? (make sure not to use the same name as the router)

Did you connect your pc/laptop to it?

Message 4 of 10
AlexSotheran
Guide

Yes to all that, I just followed the quick start guide. The light was green on the Power, WPS and Device, but nothing on the Router. 

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

are you hardwired into the router during setup? 

What error does it give you?

Message 6 of 10
AlexSotheran
Guide

No, to the hardwired, just plugged into the mains close to the router, the message just says it's failed to connect. I'll try again tomorrow and get the actual message as I was busy this evening. 

Message 7 of 10
AlexSotheran
Guide

OK back again... I realised I was doing the WPS part inccorectly and misread the instructions. But I have connected the extender to the router through WPS (both WPS and Router lights are solid green), the **********_EXT shows up in my list of Wifi networks, but I cannot connect to it with three devices (PC in living room near router, Laptop in loft and mobile phone). The PC and phone both ask for password, I enter the normal router password and I get the message 'unable to connect to this network', no prompt for password on Laptop, but just get same message. 

Message 8 of 10

If either your PC desktop or your laptop uses MS Windows, download the program "Wifi Analyzer" ver. 2.6.1.  You said that the PC is near the router.  Apparently it is also near enough to the extender that you're receiving the extender's signal.  Good.  When you open the WiFi analyzer, you will see 5 tab names at the top of the screen.  The program opens onto the "Connected" tab.  Click on the "Networks" tab and find your 4 network SSID signals (2.4 and 5 signals each from router and from extender).  Your computer's wifi adapter can be connected to your router on either band and all nearby networks in both bands will be detected and displayed.  Your signals should be stronger than others nearby and automatically sort to be at the top of the list.  See the screen capture I've attached to this msg for my network signals.  Note the bottom line of information for each of the 4 signals and the padlock symbol.  Note that all 4 are encrypted with the same protocol. 

Check to see that your's are as well.  You can also visualize the encryption settings for your extender's signals on the opening "status" page of the extender's Installation Assistant web page but you won't be able to visualize the router's encryption protocol there.  That's why I suggest using the Wifi Analyzer program.  If the encryption protocols on the router and extender do not agree, check for the encryption settings of both your router and extender but I don't think you'll find one for the extender.  But do examine the encryption protocol setting on your router and select a strong one.  Don't use WEP or no encryption even if it's available!

On the Installation Assistant, the "IP" section of your extender's setup should be set to use dynamic IP selection from the router and not set to assign static IP addresses.  On the "wireless" section of the "settings" area of the extender's Installation Assistant, verify that the extender is set to use the network existing password although on my setup, that choice is greyed out and the drop down menu is not functional.  Finally, if your Installation Assistant includes an option to check for a firmware update, I'd do so and install it if available.  Then try a factory reset and perhaps things will work after that.  And, I'm out of ideas.  Hope you solve your problem!

Message 9 of 10
AlexSotheran
Guide

Thank you, I will give tha try, I have been able to use the extender through it's ethernet cable, which has solved my problems, but I will try the wifi connection as well. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7