Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear N300 WiFi Router intermitten connection problems

I bought a Netgear N300 WiFi Router Model # WNR2000 yesterday and have been successfully been able to get it working on tablet, phone and intermittenly on my laptop.  I get a great connection when I am right next to the router but the further I am away from it...beginning at about 5 ft...the worse the signal gets till the laptop doesn't even see it anymore and that's at about 15ft.  I worked on this yesterday for about 5 hours and have been in touch with the Netgear folks through e-mail and we've changed some settings but nothing has solved the problem yet.   The settings that were changed were under the basic tab, Wireless and I changed the Mode to 54MBps and the channel was set to 11.  I applied these settings and wrote them back to tell them it had not solved the problem and they sent me another email with questions that I answered and I am anxious to get this solved and I haven't heard from them today.  Does anyone have some other fix that might help with this.  I'm so frustrated as not knowing if this problem belongs to the laptop or is the router...but the router is working on everything else perfectly.  Laptop is an Asus A54C  running Windows 7.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Netgear N300 WiFi Router intermitten connection problems

@LPool,

are there any possible interference in that location where you use your laptop? i'm guessing you have all tried the non-overlapping channels such as 1,6, & 11. if changing the channel didn't work try to set the preamble mode to long and see whether it helps you out. that setting's gonna be in Advanced Setup > Wireless settings. if it doesn't work just change it back to what it was. another thing for you to try is to check the firmware. upgrade it if you don't have the latest fw loaded then reset and reconfigure. by the way, are you getting the same problem when you connect your laptop in a hotspot?

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

No possible interference in that location...actually had another router and it was fine...then found out that my DC connection was not working so had to have it replaced and then all this started to happen.  Couldn't connect to the old router.  Thought that I would take the least inexpensive route and just buy a new router because having someone come out here at $90 per hour...2 hour min....would be prudent.  Computer people swear it's not what they did...here's what I know...it worked before they had it...now it doesn't.   

Have not tried any other channels because I wasnt sure but I can certainly try that.  Is the pramble mode the one that I reset to the 58MBps?  NOt sure if I'd get the same result in a hotspot.  I live in a very rural area and don't really have access to anything like that close.  I work part time for someone who had a router and I connected with them just fine but it's a pretty powerful router so it's hard to judge.  No neighbors to speak of so it's hard to check.  I downloaded I think the latest fw but didn't know exactly how that worked....it's 2 files and they are just sitting in my documents folder....thanks for the tips...I'll try changing the pramble mode first to see if it makes a difference....still nothing from Netgear today.....grrrr

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Prodigy

hi there, what version of wnr2000 did you buy? Can you check. Also check to make sure you have the latest firmware on your router. Another thing to do maybe use WPA- AES as your security.

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Version WNR2000-100NAS. My security is WPA -AES.  I'm not sure how to check if I have the latest firmware...help!?  And if I don't have the latest how do you install it?

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Prodigy

Check the back of the router where the power cord and ethernet cords connect and it should says WNR2000, or WNR2000 v2, or WNR2000v3? you can check your router in its setting page to see what version of software you have then go to the netgear support page to find the latest firmware.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have version 5 according to the back of my router. I have 1 file of the firmware WNR2000. 1.2.3.7. (NA) excuse my ignorance but how do I get these files to where they need to be?
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Ensure your router is in a central area and as high as possible. (what worked for your previous router, may not work for your new router).  Also, if it comes with a stand, ensure you use it. Don't lay the device on its side.( It looks like the radios are on the top of the router. (Internal anntennae's are less forgiving). You may have to rotate the router to see where the best signal resides, for your wireless clients). Verify that your laptop's wireless drivers are up to date.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements