× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear N600 Wireless Dual router not getting full speed

jujuba
Aspirant

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual router not getting full speed

Hello, 

I'm not getting the full speed of my internet connection. When I plug the cable from my modem to my laptop I get about 200 Mbps, but when I plug the router I only get 15Mbps on both bands either wired or wireless. Actually, 5GH gets a bit more but not much. 

I've upgraded the router to the latest firmware and changed the mode to its maximum capacity. No luck! The modem is relatively new. I hope I can solve this problem, otherwise I'm not buying Netgear ever again. This is painful!

I appreciate your help! 

_good-juju

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

First thing the wndr3400v2 only can handle 100mb on its lan ports if yon have 200mb internet you need a new router to start with to get the full speed of the connection you pay for. You should get around 100 mb on your lan ports any ways if you can get 200mb at the modem your router could have a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
William10a
Master

First thing the wndr3400v2 only can handle 100mb on its lan ports if yon have 200mb internet you need a new router to start with to get the full speed of the connection you pay for. You should get around 100 mb on your lan ports any ways if you can get 200mb at the modem your router could have a problem.

Message 2 of 5

@jujuba wrote:
The modem is relatively new.

Four years, the date on the manual for the WNDR3400v2, is quite a while in Internet technology, given the recent boom in speeds.

Message 3 of 5
jujuba
Aspirant

What would you recommend for a new Netgear router? I'll get a new one. I need a router that can handle at least 200MB wired and wireless (5G).

Message 4 of 5

Depends on your Internet service. Visit the Netgear product pages for where you are and plug in the features you want.

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

You could also see if there is a user forum for your ISP and see what they say.

I would suggest that the ISP may also have a list of recommended modems, but these are usually horribly out of date.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7