× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100NAS Dual Band Wireless and Ethernet Router, Black

PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100NAS Dual Band Wireless and Ethernet Router, Black

Hello, I had seen the newest 

Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100NAS Dual Band Wireless and Ethernet Router, Black. On an At&t forums and I was wondering if that this type of router/gateway would work through At&t carrier service of there At&t internet carrier? 

Thank's. 

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100NAS Dual Band Wireless and Ethernet Router, Black

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

I think as to what I had asked is pretty straight forward question?

Only if you provide enough information.

The R7000 is a router. Unless you have something like fibre broadband with its own terminal,  a router needs a modem of some sort in front of it.

If you ask Google to tell you about the "2Wire 2701 HGV-B",  the results are confusing. It looks like an ancient piece of kit that might also be a router. If so, then you will have to work out how to turn off its router bit.

To get more Ethernet ports, all you need is a simple switch.

SOHO Ethernet Switches | Switches | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Home/Office Ethernet Switches | Switches | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 22

All Replies

Can you explain what you want to know?

What does this bit mean?

"On an At&t forums and I was wondering if that this type of router/gateway would work through At&t carrier service of there At&t internet carrier?"

I'm baffled, but that is easily done.

Message 2 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Why are you baffled? I think as to what I had asked is pretty straight forward question? I had asked if that this type of router would work with At&t Internet? The router that I currently have is a 2Wire 2701 HGV-B(Black) I'm looking for a router/gateway that has atleast 4 port's on the back of the router in order to connect my smart tv and gameing system along with connecting my desktop computer to Ethernet. 

Model: WNR1000v3|Wireless Router
Message 3 of 22

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

I think as to what I had asked is pretty straight forward question?

Only if you provide enough information.

The R7000 is a router. Unless you have something like fibre broadband with its own terminal,  a router needs a modem of some sort in front of it.

If you ask Google to tell you about the "2Wire 2701 HGV-B",  the results are confusing. It looks like an ancient piece of kit that might also be a router. If so, then you will have to work out how to turn off its router bit.

To get more Ethernet ports, all you need is a simple switch.

SOHO Ethernet Switches | Switches | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Home/Office Ethernet Switches | Switches | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

This post isn't about the Model that I had to choose in order to post to the communities. How ever it is on the post of "2Wire 2701 HGV-B" router. Yes I do know it's an anciant router but that is the router that the technician had ordered for me at the time of the install? And also at that time I was a new customer as well, I didn't think that I could ask for a better router than the one they had sent to me? 

But I have found a new router that is from Netgear products, which is the NETGEAR N750 Dual Band WiFi Router, 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet (WNDR4300) and also this one Netgear AC750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router (R6020-100NAS) my question/question's is can either of these router's work along side or replace the current router that I have now?  Can either of these routers work with At&t Internet carrier? Which is what I have now plus I also have At&t DirecTv. And if they do work with the carrier I had described how much would each one run me price wise? And can I order one or the other from Netgear and or does anyone know for sure if that At&t would carry the two types of routers? Or would I have to order one or the other from Netgear itself? 

Thank's.

Message 5 of 22

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

This post isn't about the Model ...

It is if you want meaningful answers.

How ever it is on the post of "2Wire 2701 HGV-B" router. Yes I do know it's an anciant router but that is the router that the technician had ordered for me at the time of the install?

From what I can see, which isn't a lot, it is a modem router which is not the same as a router. The difference is crucial.

But I have found a new router that is from Netgear products, which is the NETGEAR N750 Dual Band WiFi Router, 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet (WNDR4300) and also this one Netgear AC750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router (R6020-100NAS) my question/question's is can either of these router's work along side or replace the current router that I have now? 

Those are both routers. They cannot replace a modem.

If you can put your existing device into modem only (bridged) mode, then either would work. Both are bottom of the range routers.

If the idea is to replace this "2Wire 2701 HGV-B", I would start by telling people what your internet service is. DSL? Cable? Fibre? How fast?

Then decide if you want to replace the existing box with a single modem/router, or if you want to add a router to this thing.

If you want to do that, you need to see if it is possible to put your device into modem only mode.

Perhaps now you can see why your first message was too cryptic to allow sensible and informed answers.

Message 6 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

To be honest with you? I'm not sure of what type of router it is that I currently have? But it is a DSL model and it is a router that much I do know. It's not a modem I had gotten it from At&t Internet service carrier they had ordered it for me at the time of the install on day one. Again it is not a modem it's a wireless router. It's one of their older models of routers that they have. At the time of the technician that had ordered it for me I was a new customer and I wasn't sure if I could ask for a better router than the one I currently have being as at the time I was a new customer and I wasn't sure if that they do have better routers? Also I had checked on there website of the newer routers that they do carry but on their webpage they only have the one newer router which has atleast 4-ports on it the router that I have now only has the one port for my desktop computer. But I'm looking to either buy and or to lease a new router that has atleast 4-5 ports on it. So that I can connect my desktop and gaming systems and my smart tv to it. I do not have a screenshot of it being that I'm on my desktop now. (Of the router screenshot) 

Message 7 of 22

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

I'm not sure of what type of router it is that I currently have? But it is a DSL model and it is a router that much I do know. It's not a modem ....

There is no such thing as a DSL router.

If it is a "DSL model" then it is a modem or a modem/router. That's a modem with a router bolted on.

If your device plugs into a telephone socket, then it is a  modem.

Knowing what you have now is important. If you buy a router and you already have a modem/router you will have to configure them to work together. Get that wrong and you could end up in network hell.

You will find it hard to buy a router with more than four Ethernet ports. That is the industry standard. That is why I suggested earlier that an Ethernet switch would give you more ports. You plug the switch into one of the ports on your router and then plug Ethernet devices into the switch. The smallest Ethernet switch has four ports. Then they go up to eight, then 16 and onwards.

Message 8 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay, I do appreciate the information that you had mentioned in this post and especially the information on what the diffreces are on a router and a modem. I just assumed that both were the same I didn't know there was a diffrentce between the two? 

And to be clear I'm looking for a router to replace the current router that I have now. Which is a Wireless 2Wire 2701 HGV-B, which is a really older model router that At&t had sent me which is why I'm looking to either buy and or to lease a newer router with atleast 4-5 ports on the router. I mean I have seen several diffrent routers online but I'm just not sure as to which one to choose from? Something that is not that expensive  but good to use? If someone can send me a link or something as to which one to choose I would really appreciate it. 

Message 9 of 22

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

And to be clear I'm looking for a router to replace the current router that I have now. Which is a Wireless 2Wire 2701 HGV-B...

The "Wireless 2Wire 2701 HGV-B" is not your current router. We have been through that already, several times. It is your current modem router. There is a difference

As  I have also explained, again more than once, you have a few choices:

• replace what you have now with a new modem-router
  • turn your modem-router into a modem only device and buy a new router
  • buy a separate modem and a separate router

The easiest option is to get a new modem-router to replace the existing modem-router. If you decide to do that, then it might be a good idea to see if AT&T has a list of compatible devices that are known to work on its network.

An easy way around this, if it is too complicated, is to ask AT&T sell you something to replace your existing hardware.

I see that the AT&T website sells a Netgear modem-router:

Netgear DSL Modem Model 6200 - AT&T

That would be a good choice. It may or may not be the D6200 – Netgear makes tailored kit for ISP – but at least it is something that AT&T recognises.

Message 10 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay, yes I know we have been through this but at the time noone had answered my question on which router to buy or to lease? 

Message 11 of 22

Sorry, I give up.

Please read the previous discussion again.

Message 12 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

The modem that you had posted isn't the type of modem I'm looking for it only has the one port? I'm looking for a router that has atleast 4-5 ports on it. 

Message 13 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Give up on what? I was just asking questions on the diffrent types of routers 

Message 14 of 22

@PhillipStone00 wrote:

Give up on what? I was just asking questions on the diffrent types of routers 

And I have explained that you need a modem router, not a router, but you always come back to asking about routers. If you cannot understand the difference, then there is not much point on carrying on.

Take your pick:

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Message 15 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay what ever... And ive found the right router that I'll be ordering from At&t. That will replace the router that I currently have. 

Message 16 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

First off.. I know what type of router that I currently have its a Wireless 2Wire 2701 HGV-B. So don't tell me that this router isn't the type of router that I have? When I know for a fact that it is? And you don't have to get so uppty about it? I was just simply asking questions? 

Model: MR314|Cable/DSL 802.11b Wireless Router
Message 17 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Also why would I wanna have to buy a router and then buy a modem is all I'm looking for is a router to replace the one I currently have? I know there's a diffrent between the two but I'm not gonna go out and buy two diffrent types of router/modem? 

Model: CENTRIA (WNDR4700/4720)|Media Storage Router
Message 18 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay I appreciate the feedback on this and I currently do not have a modem that plugs into a phone jack. I wouldn't want that type of modem I mean i don't have that i do have a wireless router that just plugs into a wall socket and then plugs into my desktop. 

Model: WGR614v10|54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router
Message 19 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay thank you for the information and I appreciate it. And I do understand by what you mean't by router/modem hell I used to have xfinity which I do not have that any longer I do have At&t internet and there Directv. Plus a new mobile phone that I had ordered from them. 

Model: GB111ESS|Essent WGR614v6 and WG111 Bundle
Message 20 of 22

Forgive, me, but I have no idea if you are seeking further input.

Your messages don't seem to be "joined up" and you keep telling me that I don't understand what you are saying, so I assumed that you have sorted out whatever problem it is that you are trying to fix.

Message 21 of 22
PhillipStone00
Aspirant

Okay but I don't know which model recommened to use in order to go to the correct forum for this message on the post? So that's why it's not joining up? There's more than one model to post on here? And to answer your quesstion I'am seeking further information? 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7