× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6220 access to USB drive via internet NOOB question

Kempes7475
Tutor

Netgear R6220 access to USB drive via internet NOOB question

Hi. I bought second hand R6220. My internet provider is cable tv company. I have modem-router from them and I set it as "bridge". As I know now I'm getting public dynamic IP. I have latest V1.1.0.112_1.0. driver for Netgear, my OS is Windows 11 Pro. Over 15 devices connnected to router and internet works great. I connected HDD USB to Router and set ReadyShare and this drive is working for all devices in my LAN. I tried to set access via internet (to work outside my LAN) but there is a failure. On my Readyshare I see something like this:

FTP (via internet)   ftp://192.168.0.29:21/shares.  So it's definately private IP not public and reason why I can't access outside LAN. I'm noob so please be gentle 🙂 Funny thing before changing modem-router into "bridge" I can not access my Plex server via internet and now it works. Is there any help for HDD USB connected to Netgear?

Message 1 of 5

@Kempes7475 wrote:

Hi. I bought second hand R6220. My internet provider is cable tv company. I have modem-router from them and I set it as "bridge". 

What is this  modem-router? The bridge word is widely misused and means different things in different contexts.

@Kempes7475 wrote:

something like this:

FTP (via internet)   ftp://192.168.0.29:21/shares

Where do you see that? The default local IP address of the R6220 would be 192.168.1.1

I connected HDD USB to Router and set ReadyShare and this drive is working for all devices in my LAN. I tried to set access via internet (to work outside my LAN) but there is a failure.

Have you also set up ReadyCloud? You need to create an account on MyNetgear.

Message 2 of 5
Kempes7475
Tutor

This device is Techncolor CGA2121. So antenna cable (the same as to my TV) goes to it and it worked as router, dual band WiFi 2,4G and 5G, and gate for VoIP (phone is conected to this device). I had no admin rights to it (could only change channel for WIFI or turn off WIFI or set it in "bridge" mode on my providers website). So when I got R6220 I set "bridge" mode and turn off WIFI on CGA2121. Now only cable goes from CGA2121 to WAN in R6220.

This adress I can see on:

after login to router http://192.168.1.1/-  advanced - usb drive - advanced settings I see access method and link "FTP via internet" is  ftp://192.168.0.29:21/shares and I can not change it only can change port.

I don't see ReadyCloud on settings page. There is only "basic" and "ReadyShare printer". I have a account on MyNetgear but in this moment I can not register router. As I mentioned it is second hand router and it is alredy registered. I wrote to Netgear support. They asked for router photo and purchase proof. I sent it and now I'm waiting for solution. We will see 🙂

Message 3 of 5

@Kempes7475 wrote:

So when I got R6220 I set "bridge" mode and turn off WIFI on CGA2121.

Set what to bridge mode? The R6220 doesn't have bridge mode.

Turning off wifi on the CGA2121 is not the same as setting it to bridge mode. The router is still running.

I don't see ReadyCloud on settings page. There is only "basic" and "ReadyShare printer".

Maybe the R6220 doesn't support ReadyCloud. It is a ;pretty basic modem/router.

Instead you may have to go for Dynamic DNS.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Access Storage Devices Through the Internet.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your messages.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 5
Kempes7475
Tutor

Ok "bridge mode" is setting on my internet provider website for CGA2121. As I understand after changing this option CGA2121 became "tansparent" for internet conection and doesn't behave like router anymore. I had to turn off wifi on CGA2121 because there was mismatch with R6220 wifi. So now in my network only R6220 do the work.

You are right there is no ReadyCloud for R6220 I checked it.

I have to check Dynamic DNS as you advice. I bought R6220 only with PSU (without documentation or CD's). Support of Netgear replied extremely fast and now I have router registered on MyNetgear account. I'll check and search in manuals. Thank you for your advice and help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7