× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000

thesun
Aspirant

Netgear R7000

Hi, I really hope someone can help me, been pulling my hair out trying to figure out an easy way to get my 10-year-old's wifi to stop around her bedtime.  Yes, I know (and am discussing!) proper internet usage and how to be a responsible user and go to bed even if you AREN'T blocked from wifi...so this is all in concert with trying to have physical ways to make this take effect as well.

Clearly, I'm missing something but here's what I've done so far:

1.  I generally block new connections.  Rarely have visitors so I manually "allow" each MAC address when we get a new device.  Her computer is "Allowed."

2.  I have "Use Access Control" selected.  It occurs to me now that I'm writing that maybe this shouldn't be selected?  Is this overriding the other stuff (below)?
3.  I have given her computer a static IP and checked that the router is indeed assigning that to her.  192.168.0.xyz.  Perfecto.  No worry there.

4.  Then I have used "Block Services" and chosen "All" for that particular IP.

5.  I have selected "Per Schedule."
6.  I have chosen in the Scheduling to "Start Blocking" at "20:00" and to "End Blocking" at "23:59"

But at 8pm, 8:15pm, 9:15pm, and seemingly any other time, there is still a wifi connection.

The only way for me to disconnect her is to have her manually "Forget" the network each night at bedtime. 

I am on hardware version V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer with this.  I'm just going nuts trying to figure out why this isn't working. 

Also, a brief additional addendum:  Ideally I'd like to block until the following morning.  Does anyone know if I can start at "20:00" and stop blocking at "08:00" or will that mess things up?  I tried that and didn't see any effect, but once it does work, I'd love to turn it off for the duration of the night.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
thesun
Aspirant

It turns out the router's time stamp was set to Pacific and I'm on Eastern.  Never occurred to me that it wouldn't automatically have this set properly, but that fixed it.  Whew.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
thesun
Aspirant

It turns out the router's time stamp was set to Pacific and I'm on Eastern.  Never occurred to me that it wouldn't automatically have this set properly, but that fixed it.  Whew.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7