× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RBR20 router dropout

AP81
Aspirant

Netgear RBR20 router dropout

Hi, 

I have an RBR20 with two satellites and have been having constant issues.

Issue 1: Satellite 2 just randomly reboots (resyncs?) and causes wifi to drop out on all devices.  This one sits on my desk and I'll see the pink then blue light come on.  Sometimes it will do it twice in one day.  Occassionaly I just turn it off completely because it interferes with my work.

Issue 2: Satellite 1 causes drop outs.  This one shows up as poor connection, so I've been meaning to move but don't have a suitable location.  It will cause all wifi to fail until it's either rebooted or switched off.  Sometimes it will disappear from the network map altogether, and the app will show only one satellite.  It's can also be incredibly stubborn and I have to turn off both sattelites, then reboot the router, then turn each sattelite on before wifi starts working again.  Even then sometimes it takes two attempts doing this to get the wifi back up and working.

Is what I'm experiencing normal?  

Router is downstairs, both satellites upstairs (one satellite is directly above the router).

Square feet on each leavel is 1615.  Coverage is excellent when the network is working.

Where to go from here?  Apart from moving the poor connection router, I was under the impression that a satellite should be able to be switched off and the network will continue functioning.  Similarly switching a sattelite on shouldn't disrupt the network for any long period of time.
I don't experience these issues with Google nest and my parents house (which is even bigger square feet), so I can't help but think these issues are largely orbi related rather than purely environmental.  All settings on router are stock too.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
AP81
Aspirant

Re: Netgear RBR20 router dropout

Problem solved.  Went back to Google Nest.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
AP81
Aspirant

Re: Netgear RBR20 router dropout

Problem solved.  Went back to Google Nest.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7