× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Router not in use

Lethal57
Guide

Netgear Router not in use

Hi,

I think the rv6400, could passs as a nighthawk, but doubt given recent failed attempts to use the android app to update it.

It is not currently connected, but I would like to update the firmware and use it as an range extender.

Not sure how to either, and some advise would be appreicated.

Further 'Genie' advises that it cannot log in to do the update as 'the NG router is not found or not supported (??) No IPV6 enabled, and it not connected to the guest router'. WOW.

So if i connect it...will this solve the issues I have.

Really 'searching in the dark', due to limited knowledge.

There must be a way (other than connect it), to update it, and use it productivly (my aim).

thanks

Lethal57

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Router not in use

1. you can manually update it. Just download the firmware from the support site, extract it, and then when you're logged into the router through the browser, update using the manual method. I highly recommend updating over a hardwired connection and not through the app or wireless. 

2. there isn't a repeater/extender mode for the R6400

here's the site you can get the manual and firmware from. keep in mind there's more than 1 version so select the proper version from the drop down box

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Router not in use

1. you can manually update it. Just download the firmware from the support site, extract it, and then when you're logged into the router through the browser, update using the manual method. I highly recommend updating over a hardwired connection and not through the app or wireless. 

2. there isn't a repeater/extender mode for the R6400

here's the site you can get the manual and firmware from. keep in mind there's more than 1 version so select the proper version from the drop down box

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7