× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear WGR614 V9 updated firmware required

IMKashif
Aspirant

Netgear WGR614 V9 updated firmware required

Dear Members.
Please help me regarding the firmware update, my router has firmware version v1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK.chk
I have found a lot on but no updated firmware found. Every firmware which i got from net including all region or only north america failed to update the router. Please help me.
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Check those sites to see. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. Are you extracting the firmware prior to trying to install it? Once you download it, you need to extract the zip file before trying to upload it to the device. You can't just double click on it. If you're on windows, right click and go to extract. 

2. It might be time for an upgrade. The v9 you're on was released in 2008, the original was released in 2003 when windows xp was still in use. We've advanced from wireless g---->wireless N---->wireless AC------wireless AX.  its a bit dated and probably put its time in being a 11 year old device. 

Message 2 of 12
IMKashif
Aspirant

Yes, i have upload the file after extracting, but router said, failed to update..
Message 3 of 12

As @plemans says, your router dates back to 2007.

There is no "v1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK.chk" for the WGR614 V9.

Unfortunately, your image tells us not much, no model number visible. So we can't tell which hardware version you own. There are 10 in all. The label on your device will tell you.

So it is anybody's guess as to what is going on.

@IMKashif wrote:
Yes, i have upload the file after extracting, but router said, failed to update..

That often means that the firmware is not for your hardware.

To be honest, I would forget about trying to drag this museum piece into the 2020s.

It is almost certainly slower than your Internet service and local network can handle.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

The other reason it probably doesnt show up is that if you look up that device and that specific firmware, is it was a device sold to virginmedia who then gave/sold it to clients.

so virginmedia probably customized the firmware a bit for its own purposes. They also usually lock the firmware. You'd have to check their support site for more updates. I doubt you'll find much being such an old router though. 

Message 5 of 12
IMKashif
Aspirant

I am sharing the picture of device hardware version and firmware version for your kind considration regarding my help in router firmware upgrading
Message 6 of 12
IMKashif
Aspirant

I am sharing the picture of device hardware version and firmware version for your kind considration regarding my help in router firmware upgrading
Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

again, its a router that was sold/given out by virgin media. I've read the firmware was locked by them

Message 8 of 12
IMKashif
Aspirant

How i can update it or unlock it, because it is creating problem in connectivity of devices to its wifi.
Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

You can upgrade to a newer router. Its locked to virgin media. You can search for unlock methods for it but you won't find them on the netgear community site. Also, all the ones I could find on 3rd party sites, were expired because the router is so old. 

Message 10 of 12
IMKashif
Aspirant

Is there any other firmware to update it, like DD-WRT, Gargoyle etc
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Check those sites to see. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats