× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNDR4000 and Comcast Cisco DPC3941T problem

LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Netgear WNDR4000 and Comcast Cisco DPC3941T problem

I have Comcast X1 service using a Cisco DPC3941T Wireless Modem.  This is located in my home office at one end of my home.  I have a Netgear WNDR4000 wireless router connected directly via Ethernet which is in my master bedroom at the other end of my home.  I have 2.4 and 5.0 wireless gateways working flawlessly on both.  The issue is that I have a 2TB USB Drive connected via USB to my Netgear WNDR4000 which I cannot access from my work computer in my home office which is directly connected into the Cisco DPC3941T modem in addition that I cannot log into the Netgear router from my work computer.

Using my laptop, I can access my Cisco admin panel on the modem when I am connected to either the 2.4 or 5.0 wireless SSID's on the Cisco modem but I can't access the Netgear admin panel.  When I connect to either the 2.4 or 5.0 wireless SSID's on the Netgear router, I can't get the Cisco admin panel or the USB Drive but I can access the Netgear admin panel as well as I can access the USB drive.

The IP address on the Cisco is local 10.0.0.1 and the IP address on the Netgear router is 10.0.0.2 (fixed - I tried DNS also but it picks up the same IP every time).

When my laptop is connected to one of the Netgear router's SSID's, it does not appear in the Network on my work computer.  When my laptop is connected to one of the Cisco modem's SSID's, it does appear in the Network on my work computer.

Basically, the Cisco is not recognizing the Netgear for networking purposes and the Netgear is not recognizing the Cisco for networking purposes.

I have reset the devices but to no avail.  Also, it is not feasible to plug my work computer directly into the Netgear router due to the physical distance between the two which is why I have it plugged directly into my Cisco modem since it is just a few feet away.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the two devices to be working on the same network so all connected devices can see all other connected devices no matter which one they are logged into?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Re: Netgear WNDR4000 and Comcast Cisco DPC3941T problem

• Reset password          Save this for later just adds to the confusion
  • Setup Wireless SSID's (didn't want anyone nearby to log in)

I don't either one of these is a big issue and, certainly, should not be an issue with viewing computers. If I didn't setup the Wireless SSID's, then I couldn't connect with my laptop to test the ability to view all computers from my work computer, no matter which SSID they are connected.

Thanks for confirming that the AP mode disables all DHCP functionality.

1. My laptop was recognized as connected (directly)    Connected to what?

Sorry for the confusion.  When I go into my Cisco modem admin panel, it shows as a connected device.

Is work PC USING VPN and connected to work? IF SO YOU CANNOT REACH LOCAL RESOURCES when using VPN

Not connected to a VPN.  I have worked for myself for over 45 years.  Hate bosses. 🙂

I did some pinging from my work desktop computer connected to the Cisco modem.

Pinged Netgear Router (AP) 10.0.0.2:

Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.252: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Pinged Laptop when connected to one of the Netgear SSID's - IP 10.0.0.223:
Pinging 10.0.0.223 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=266ms TTL=128
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=479ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.223:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 479ms, Average = 262ms

So it can't ping the Netgear AP but it can ping the Laptop connected to the Netgear AP.  Weird!

I went back into my Windows Explorer on my desktop, clicked on the Network, and I can see the Laptop.  I'm not sure why I couldn't see it last night but I can now.  However, if I go into my Windows Explorer on my laptop, click on the Network, I cannot see my work desktop computer.

So on my laptop computer connected wirelessly to the Netgear AP SSID, I did some pings.

Pinged 10.0.0.1 - Cisco Modem:

Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=174ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 174ms, Average = 79ms

Pinged 10.0.0.252 - Work computer connected directly into Cisco modem:

Pinging 10.0.0.252 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.223: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.252:

So I went back into my Laptop's Window Explorer (connected wirelessly to the Netgear AP), clicked on Networks and viola, I can see my work desktop computer connected directly to the Cisco modem.  Weird!

So I went back and repinged both the Cisco modem as well as my desktop computer IP.  I got solid pings back!!!! Awesome.

It appears that the network connection might be intermittent in reliability but why.  So I went into the Cisco modem admin panel and changed the firewall settings from Typical Security to Minimum Security.  Hopefully, this might help with the occasional dropping of connectivity (or viewability) for all of the computers.

As of right now, I have the functionality that I was looking to have with my network setup.

Thanks Searey.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A lot of details But one how is the 4000 connected to the crisco? It should be in AP MODE and connected to WAN port.

Message 2 of 12
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

The Cisco DPC3941T doesn't have a dedicated WAN port.

I went into the Cisco admin panel, clicked on Advanced / Port Forwarding, clicked on the 'Enable' button and added a 'HTTP' service with server IP 10.0.0.2 as that was the 'fixed' IP for the router. Didn't work.

I went into my Netgear admin panel and set the Port Forwarding.  Bad news..it did something bad as I couldn't get connected back to the admin panel, even being directly hooked into the router.  I had to reset the router and set everything back up.

On my Cisco admin panel, I went to Connected Devices and added the WNDR4000 using the 10.0.0.2 IP address and it did add it to the Online Devices.  However, I still can't see my laptop that is logged into one of the wireless SSID's on the router.

And I moved the USB from the Netgear router to the Cisco gateway but now I can't see it anywhere!

Before Christmas this was setup with the one Netgear WNDR4000 router sitting near the Cisco and connected directly.  I had the ethernet cable connected into the nearby Netgear router that went to the Netgear router in the bedroom.  Everything was viewable.  But I get better internet speeds connected directly in the Cisco from my work computer.  Also, functionality over desirability. 😞

To be honest, there has to be some type of solution but, at this point, I've done a few hours of research and it seems that I am not the only person who has had these similar problems.  FYI, when I upgraded from my previous standard Comcast service to their X1 platform, I had the different setup and no problems.  Once they replaced the Gateway and my son changed the setup, I started to have these issues.

I prefer to stay with my physical setup if someone can tell me how to get these devices to play nice with each other. 🙂

Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I was talking about the WAN port of the 4000. I have comcast and a DPC3939 I have changed my setup more than I care to admit. 

Listen up and you should have it working in five minutes. The dpc is the router preforming all the routing and 4000 is a Access point in AP Mode. 

Disconnect the 4000 from the dpc ...push and hold reset until power led flashes then release, connect a cable to PC, after PC gets IP login and select AP mode. Once in Ap after the reboot disconnect from Pc and connect via cable to WAN PORT (YELLOW) and the lan port of DPC ( DO NOT USE PORT 4)  This is when the 4000 gets it's IP from the DPC DHCP server. 

Log in to DPC go to attched List find 4000 select reserve IP this will ensure the 4000 gets same IP so you can log in to it and change the settings.

Message 4 of 12
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Searey,

I followed your instructions.

1. Reset the modem
  2. Plugged in my laptop directly via cable to Port #1 of the Netgear router
  3. Went to RouterLogin.net
  4. Logged in with standard password
  5. Reset password
  6. Setup Wireless SSID's (didn't want anyone nearby to log in)
  7. Went to Advanced / Wireless and clicked on the AP checkbox
  8. I did not set the IP's manually, just let it autoconfigure.
  9. Applied and it updated
  10. It returned this error inside the Router setup where the Advanced / Wireless settings were located:
    The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
        If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
        If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
  11. I disconnected my PC
  12. Connected the cable from the Cisco to the WAN port of the Netgear router
  13. Waited a few minutes
  14. Connected my laptop to Port #1 and was able to access the internet
  15. Went to my desktop computer (which is plugged directly into the Cisco modem) and logged into the admin panel for the modem
  16. Went to Connected Devices and the WNDR4000 already had a Reserved IP
    WNDR4000
    IPV4 Address
    10.0.0.2 MAC Address
    2C:B0:5D:2A:EB:AD Comments
    Netgear WNDR4000 router in back bedroom
    Reserved IP
  17. My laptop was recognized as connected (directly)
  18. Tried to go to 10.0.0.2 and RouterLogin.net on my work computer (connected to Cisco modem) and got a 404 error message. (Not sure if changing to an Access Point disabled the DHCP but that's what it looks like).
  19. Check my Network via Windows Explorer on my work computer and could view my Laptop.
  20. Disconnected my Laptop from the Netgear via cable and connected wirelessly to one of the Netgear wireless SSID's
  21. Unable to view my Laptop on the Network via Windows Explorer even after a refresh.
  22. Disconnected my Laptop from the Netgear wireless SSID and connected to one of the Cisco Wireless SSID's
  23. Check my Network via Windows Explorer and could view/access my Laptop.
  24. In addition, I was still unable to view my USB drive connected to the Cisco but when I moved it to the Netgear, I was able to view and access it.  I can live with this.

So at this point, I still have the 'primary' issue that any computer that is in my homegroup that is connected wirelessly on either of the NetGear SSID's, I cannot see on my desktop work computer connected directly to the Cisco modem.  FYI, I did ensure that the NetGear ethernet cable is NOT plugged into the Port #4 on the Cisco modem.

Any other suggestions?

Luke

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@LukeDouglas wrote:

Searey,

I followed your instructions.

1. Reset the modem    THE ROUTER
  2. Plugged in my laptop directly via cable to Port #1 of the Netgear router
  3. Went to RouterLogin.net
  4. Logged in with standard password
  5. Reset password          Save this for later just adds to the confusion
  6. Setup Wireless SSID's (didn't want anyone nearby to log in)
  7. Went to Advanced / Wireless and clicked on the AP checkbox  Good!
  8. I did not set the IP's manually, just let it autoconfigure.   Good!
  9. Applied and it updated @after this YOU DISCONNECT AND CONNECT TO CISCO AND IT GETS NEW IP which IS IN the 10.0.0.x range! it CANNOT BE REACHed @ 192.168.1.1 
  10. It returned this error inside the Router setup where the Advanced / Wireless settings were located:
    The connection has timed out
    The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.       this is all bs and just adds to the confusion

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
        If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
        If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.  

1. I disconnected my PC   good
  2. Connected the cable from the Cisco to the WAN port of the Netgear router  good
  3. Waited a few minutes
  4. Connected my laptop to Port #1 and was able to access the internet
  5. Went to my desktop computer (which is plugged directly into the Cisco modem)IT'S NOT A MODEM ANY MORE IT"S A ROUTER  and logged into the admin panel for the modem ROUTER
  6. Went to Connected Devices and the WNDR4000 already had a Reserved IP
    WNDR4000
    IPV4 Address
    10.0.0.2 MAC Address
    2C:B0:5D:2A:EB:AD Comments
    Netgear WNDR4000 router in back bedroom
    Reserved IP         this is correct!                          
  7. My laptop was recognized as connected (directly)    Connected to what?

Is work PC USING VPN and connected to work? IF SO YOU CANNOT REACH LOCAL RESOURCES when using VPN

1. Tried to go to 10.0.0.2 and RouterLogin.net on my work computer (connected to Cisco modem ROUTER) and got a 404 error message. (Not sure if changing to an Access Point disabled the DHCP but that's what it looks like). ALL DHCP is NOW HANDELED IN CISCO ROUTER    AP MODE DOES DISABLE DHCP AS IT SHOULD!   TRY PINGING 10.0.0.2

Check my Network via Windows Explorer on my work computer and could view my Laptop.

1. Disconnected my Laptop from the Netgear via cable and connected wirelessly to one of the Netgear wireless SSID's  BE SURE YOU"RE NOT USING A GUEST SSID!   try pinging it
  2. Unable to view my Laptop on the Network via Windows Explorer even after a refresh. TRY PINGING IT   IF IT PINGS CHECK To be sure that it's HOME NETWORK for that connection
  3. Disconnected my Laptop from the Netgear wireless SSID and connected to one of the Cisco Wireless SSID's
  4. Check my Network via Windows Explorer and could view/access my Laptop.
  5. In addition, I was still unable to view my USB drive connected to the Cisco I don't believe that usb port is designed for sharing but rather for connecting a PC  but when I moved it to the Netgear, I was able to view and access it.  I can live with this.

So at this point, I still have the 'primary' issue that any computer that is in my homegroup that is connected wirelessly on either of the NetGear SSID's, I cannot see on my desktop work computer connected directly to the Cisco modem.  FYI, I did ensure that the NetGear ethernet cable is NOT plugged into the Port #4 on the Cisco modem.

Any other suggestions?  use ping utility if it responds then check that those SSID's when connected are characterized AS HOME NETWORK

Luke

Message 6 of 12
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

• Reset password          Save this for later just adds to the confusion
  • Setup Wireless SSID's (didn't want anyone nearby to log in)

I don't either one of these is a big issue and, certainly, should not be an issue with viewing computers. If I didn't setup the Wireless SSID's, then I couldn't connect with my laptop to test the ability to view all computers from my work computer, no matter which SSID they are connected.

Thanks for confirming that the AP mode disables all DHCP functionality.

1. My laptop was recognized as connected (directly)    Connected to what?

Sorry for the confusion.  When I go into my Cisco modem admin panel, it shows as a connected device.

Not connected to a VPN.  I have worked for myself for over 45 years.  Hate bosses. 🙂

I did some pinging from my work desktop computer connected to the Cisco modem.

Pinged Netgear Router (AP) 10.0.0.2:

Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data ;

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Pinged Laptop when connected to one of the Netgear SSID's - IP 10.0.0.223:
Pinging 10.0.0.223 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=266ms TTL=128
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.0.0.223: bytes=32 time=479ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.223:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 479ms, Average = 262ms

So it can't ping the Netgear AP but it can ping the Laptop connected to the Netgear AP.  Weird!

I went back into my Windows Explorer on my desktop, clicked on the Network, and I can see the Laptop.  I'm not sure why I couldn't see it last night but I can now.  However, if I go into my Windows Explorer on my laptop, click on the Network, I cannot see my work desktop computer.

So on my laptop computer connected wirelessly to the Netgear AP SSID, I did some pings.

Pinged 10.0.0.1 - Cisco Modem:

Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data ;
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=174ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 174ms, Average = 79ms

Pinged 10.0.0.252 - Work computer connected directly into Cisco modem:

Pinging 10.0.0.252 with 32 bytes of data ;
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.252:

So I went back into my Laptop's Window Explorer (connected wirelessly to the Netgear AP), clicked on Networks and viola, I can see my work desktop computer connected directly to the Cisco modem.  Weird!

So I went back and repinged both the Cisco modem as well as my desktop computer IP.  I got solid pings back!!!! Awesome.

It appears that the network connection might be intermittent in reliability but why.  So I went into the Cisco modem admin panel and changed the firewall settings from Typical Security to Minimum Security.  Hopefully, this might help with the occasional dropping of connectivity (or viewability) for all of the computers.

As of right now, I have the functionality that I was looking to have with my network setup.

Thanks Searey.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good News.

The security is ONLY on the WAN side of the cisco, it should have No effect on LAN side

I tested the WNDR4000 for nitgear years ago. AP MODE did not work very well from what I remember it would drop off clients and had to be rebooted often. You might try using this link below to convert them to AP or just replace it all together. I dumped 2 4000's and 2 3700's because they weren't worth the troulble.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

Message 8 of 12
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Searey,

What brand are you using now for your AP?

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

At the moment I'm using R8000 only because it was supplied for free when I tested for nitgear as was my R7000 which is being used as the router because My comcast DPC3939 is a POS and I cannot reach it 10.0.0.1 when used as router after several hours. Seems to be a known problem and I'm going to exchange it soon.

The r7000 and the r8000 both work great as router or as AP in AP Mode.

My ideal setup would be using comcast gateway/modem/router in router mode and one or both r's in AP Mode. I cannot now because the dpc while working in router does work but, I cannot reach it without a reset and makes logging in to see whats attached a pain in the obama.

Using the dpc in router mode allows me to setup turn off wireless by schedule to prolong the router's radios life. I don't need 5g @1300AC running when I'm sleeping so shut it down and still have DPC provide wifi.

Message 10 of 12
LukeDouglas
Aspirant

Searey,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll look at those routers.

FYI, I really don't need the scheduling as I have processes involved with my computers as well as websites that run in early morning hours in which I need the higher speeds.

But the good thing is that you have gotten me to a point that I can do everything I need to do with my equipment and network.  You were a big help.  Thanks.

Luke

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're welcome!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation