× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear WNDR4300: configured as AP via WiFi not LAN

erotavlas
Tutor

Netgear WNDR4300: configured as AP via WiFi not LAN

Hi,
I have the Netgear WNDR4300 which is a double band WiFi router with the ability to set up two WiFi networks: one at 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/n and the other at 5 GHz 802.11 a/n. I know that I can connect it via LAN to another router or AP in order to act as WiFi extender. What about the possibility to connect it via WiFi to another router or AP in order to act as WiFi extender? For instance if I connect my Netgear WNDR4300 via 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/n to the router or AP and then I create a second WiFi with different name at 5 GHz 802.11 a/n. Is it possible?
Thank you

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @erotavlas,

Repeating Functionality was removed in the latest firmware update due to security vulnerability.

The only way to get the Repeating function back is to downgrade to the previous version.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Using one Wi-Fi band to connect to another router and the other band for nearby wireless clients is called FastLane by Netgear.  You can read about it here.  It's not available on your WNDR4300.

The WNDR4300 can function as a wireless repeater.  In this case, one or both Wi-Fi bands are used to connect to another router AND to provide access for nearby wireless clients.  As a consequence, wireless performance takes a minimum 50% hit in speed.  The repeating function is documented starting from page 90 in the manual.

Message 2 of 9
erotavlas
Tutor

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I imagine that the FastLane feature by Netgear is disabled by commercial reasons than hardware capability.

I know that WNDR4300 can act as wireless repeater since also my old DG834G can do it. As specified in the manual and in the link that you provided, I should find a section Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Repeating while in my router is not available. I have WNDR4300 v2 with latest firmware available V1.0.2.80 and this serial number 32m3415f00398. Under Advanced menu I have only Wireless Setting where I can specify parameters of wireless connection and WirelessAP where I can configure the router as AP, but only via LAN connection.

Do you have any hint? What about install openWRT which is a firmware that allow to you any customization?

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Try a factory reset and see if the repeater functions reappear.

I don't have much experience with openWRT but I'm pretty sure DD-WRT can do what you originally asked for.
Message 4 of 9
erotavlas
Tutor

Hi,

factory reset did not to change anything. So I'm looking for instal openWRT firmware because with respect to DDWRT it constantly receives updates (last on this september 15.05 vs 2013 of DDWRT).

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @erotavlas,

Repeating Functionality was removed in the latest firmware update due to security vulnerability.

The only way to get the Repeating function back is to downgrade to the previous version.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 9
erotavlas
Tutor

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I solved by installing the latest openWRT 15.05 firmware and it works like a charm.

Message 7 of 9
psemmel
Aspirant

this information is helpful as I also have the WNDR4300 with the latest firmware version installed on it. I have an older Netgear WNR2000 I want to use as a repeater. But...per your last posts, how do I get that openWRT 15.05 to work? I am not great with computers so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter

Message 8 of 9
erotavlas
Tutor

Hi,

the firmwares for 3700 and 4300 are both here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/nand/

In particular, you have to download this https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/nand/openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-nand-wndr4300-ubi-... and then you can install it from GUI by connectting to router.

Regarding to WNR2000 http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnr2000 you have to find which version do you have by taking a look at the bottom of the router and then you can download the appropriate firmware. The installation procedure is the same as WNDR4300.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7