Highlighted
Novice

Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) - Slow connection and bad reception

Hi all,

I just received my Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) and ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 modem ordered from Amazon and have Comcast Blast internet service.
I have my old Dell desktop computer upstairs where the modem is. The modem is connected to the wall coax cable then from the modem to the router and router to the desktop PC. So although the desktop is not directly connected to the modem, I still get about 50-75 Mbps.

When I go downstairs (this is where I mostly use my Inspiron 1505 laptops and iPad 4), on my iPad connected to 5Ghz I get around 15 Mbps and 4 Mbps on 2.4 Mhz my old laptop (it's equipped with an a/b/g wireless card).

The signal drops significantly when I go downstairs. So I was thinking about replacing the new router but thought I consult with experts on this forum before I do so. I installed InSSIDer and it showed no connection on 5G in my neighborhood and for the 2.4 Ghz, everyone is either on 1, 6 or 11. So I tried other channels but that made no difference.

1) Do you think I should replace the wireless router? Could it be defected?
2) Should I buy a USB n card? How much improvement we're talking here for the laptops?
3) Should I have Comcast come and run the main cable to downstairs instead of upstairs. Is that free? Will that help?

Thanks in advance for all your support
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) - Slow connection and bad reception

There are other wireless settings that can affect your wireless throughput e.g. WMM (should be enabled) and the encryption method (avoid WEP – which may not even be available, and TKIP).

Your old laptop may be capable of a theoretical maximum throughput of 54Mbps, but reality is often significantly lower than that. You might benefit from changing the laptop’s wireless device for one which is ‘N’ capable and preferably dual band.

You are unlikely to benefit from using channels other than 1, 6, and 11 on the 2.4GHz band, pick one of those channels using the principal that sharing with fewer networks is generally good, and sharing with strong networks is better than sharing with weak networks.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements